+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent: Online transit visa application: Is passport stamp required

Jun 1, 2013
Hi,

I am headed to the US from India on 3rd June. On my way back to India on 14th June, I have a 95 minute layover in Toronto.

I was unaware until yesterday that this required a transit visa. I applied for the visa online yesterday. So here are a couple of questions I have:

1. If my visa is approved within 10 working days, will I receive a visa document that I can print out and carry with me or will I have to submit my passport to the consulate to get it stamped. Please bear in mind that this is a transit visa.

2. When my visa application goes through, I will most likely already be in the US. If a passport stamp is required, will I be able to have this done in the US, considering I'm an Indian citizen and that my visa application was done from India (albeit online)?

Please help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hundredproofsam said:
Hi,

I am headed to the US from India on 3rd June. On my way back to India on 14th June, I have a 95 minute layover in Toronto.

I was unaware until yesterday that this required a transit visa. I applied for the visa online yesterday. So here are a couple of questions I have:

1. If my visa is approved within 10 working days, will I receive a visa document that I can print out and carry with me or will I have to submit my passport to the consulate to get it stamped. Please bear in mind that this is a transit visa.

2. When my visa application goes through, I will most likely already be in the US. If a passport stamp is required, will I be able to have this done in the US, considering I'm an Indian citizen and that my visa application was done from India (albeit online)?

Please help.
1. You will have to submit your passport.
2. No, you applied to New Delhi, (I assume) so the TRV will be issued in New Delhi.

Jun 1, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and booked a different return flight. One with a layover in a city that doesn't require a transit visa.

I never get the need for a transit visa in such cases. If I'm not passing through immigration and I have a confirmed onward flight within 24 hours (90 minutes in my case!) why should any sort of visa be required? It's illogical.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hundredproofsam said:
Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and booked a different return flight. One with a layover in a city that doesn't require a transit visa.

I never get the need for a transit visa in such cases. If I'm not passing through immigration and I have a confirmed onward flight within 24 hours (90 minutes in my case!) why should any sort of visa be required? It's illogical.
When there were no transit visa requirements, (the passengers were supposed to stay in a secure lounge) quite a few decided that they would claim refugee status in Canada.

tommygan

May 29, 2013
hundredproofsam said:

Im having the exact same issue with it. i did not expect it to take more than a month to settle, but it looks inevitable that I will have to change my flight and pay double the price that I originally paid.

One thng I don't understand though is why would they require a transit visa for a short layover, but the one that changes flight in vancouver doesn't need one.

meldoremi

May 30, 2013
Stuck in the same case. I was so misled by the "online application" (didn't realize that I still needed to send in my passport eventually) and only applied with <a month's window.

My online app seems to be approved and I mailed my passport in (arrived exactly a week ago). It is now still at the Singapore High Comm and I need to fly out this Saturday. I emailed them last week and they responded on Thursday requesting for more info on the courier account I provided for return label (apparently the original info was incomplete). Haven't heard back since and have just sent another email. Please keep your fingers and toes crossed for me. :-[

The whole process is absolutely ridiculous for a 80-minute transit, and don't even get me started on why they need a week to put a little stamp in a passport. I'll report back my status hopefully soon.

meldoremi

May 30, 2013
Tommygan, would you mind elaborating "one that changes flight in vancouver doesn't need one"? Do you mean if I have say a Cathay flight to Vancouver, then changing to an American Airlines flight to the US, then I would not have needed a visa?

tommygan said:
One thng I don't understand though is why would they require a transit visa for a short layover, but the one that changes flight in vancouver doesn't need one.

tommygan

May 29, 2013
meldoremi said:
Stuck in the same case. I was so misled by the "online application" (didn't realize that I still needed to send in my passport eventually) and only applied with <a month's window.

My online app seems to be approved and I mailed my passport in (arrived exactly a week ago). It is now still at the Singapore High Comm and I need to fly out this Saturday. I emailed them last week and they responded on Thursday requesting for more info on the courier account I provided for return label (apparently the original info was incomplete). Haven't heard back since and have just sent another email. Please keep your fingers and toes crossed for me. :-[

The whole process is absolutely ridiculous for a 80-minute transit, and don't even get me started on why they need a week to put a little stamp in a passport. I'll report back my status hopefully soon.
When did you submitted ur online application may I ask?

And I have emailed them before, if you are accessible to the office in Singapore, you should do so in the morning of tuesday,wed,thurs(email them to confirm) so they can stamp it and return to u in the evening

tommygan

May 29, 2013
meldoremi said:
Tommygan, would you mind elaborating "one that changes flight in vancouver doesn't need one"? Do you mean if I have say a Cathay flight to Vancouver, then changing to an American Airlines flight to the US, then I would not have needed a visa?
Im not sure of the route, but as far as I remember, cathay pacific website has a mini visa logo if it requires one. It had one for my flight which is KUL HKG JFK but if you go KUL HKG YVR JFK it did not need a visa.

Sure as hell regretted not realising the visa logo and booked the one that required less one change of flight.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

meldoremi said:
For Transit without visa, you must meet the following conditions.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada and the Canada Border Services Agency have established the Transit Without Visa (TWOV) program and the China Transit Program (CTP). The programs allow certain foreign nationals to transit through Canada on their way to and from the United States (U.S.) without a Canadian transit visa, if they meet these requirements:

For TWOV: they are from Indonesia, Thailand, Taiwan or Philippines; OR
For CTP: they are from China and leave from one of the following cities (as last point of embarkation) before arriving in Canada:
Beijing
Guangzhou
Shanghai
Hong Kong
Manila
Taipei

AND they must also:

hold a valid U.S. visa;
travel on an approved airline; and
transit through a participating Canadian international airport.

ACV86

Jun 13, 2013
Hi,

My brother is in the same problem, since there is no information on the website and the application is free he didn't think he needed to send his passport and he did not think it would take so long to get his visa! Getting the Schengen visa only took 1 week!

Anyways he lives in the US but he is from South America, he applied for the visa online but he will be coming to Europe tomorrow, can he send his passport from Paris (to the LA or NY office, I think those are the offices that deal with visas) and then have it sent back here?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ACV86 said:
Hi,

My brother is in the same problem, since there is no information on the website and the application is free he didn't think he needed to send his passport and he did not think it would take so long to get his visa! Getting the Schengen visa only took 1 week!

Anyways he lives in the US but he is from South America, he applied for the visa online but he will be coming to Europe tomorrow, can he send his passport from Paris (to the LA or NY office, I think those are the offices that deal with visas) and then have it sent back here?
I don't think they will mail it outside their processing area.

Kaori

Jun 20, 2013
Hey guys i need help.......

I bought round-trip ticket, HKG-USA early Aug then back USA-HKG mid Aug.
both via Toronto

I applied for a Transit visa.

Is the Transit visa works for such round-trip case indeed?
since it doesn't show single or mulitple transit............

seriously worry.........

RAD

Nov 8, 2013
Hi, I have a similar situation here. I am travelling to India from New York on 22nd Nov via Montreal and I submitted for Canadian Transit Visa on 11th Sept, online. Last week i got a message in MyCIC account saying they are processing my application now.

Now I have the following questions.
1. How long will it take to get the visa approved at this point..?
2. Is the visa required to be stamped on my Passport..? If yes, where should I send my passport to, for stamping. I could not get these information while applying online.
3. Is it possible to visit Consulate office and get the visa stamped on my passport in a day..?

Please help me to make use of this ticket. I have 10 more days left for the journey and I have spent $2200 after cancelling and rescheduling the trip. It was a mistake of my life by not knowing about this transit visa thing. I was supposed to use this ticket in August but the day before my journey I came to know about this transit visa and had to book a different ticket and reschedule this one :(

Appreciate your help.

az_eftekhari

May 7, 2016
Hello

I read your message about canada transit visa in the forum. I have the similar problem. I bought two ticket that both of them back to america through canada with 3 hrs stop.
2 years ago that you had same problem, were you able to receive transit visa?
since I have flight in June 30th, and I have Belgium Embassy interview too so I need to have my passport to go for interview, I am really worried if I receive email from canada embassy to send my passport and at that time my passport was in Belgium Embassy. Do you have any idea how long does it take after online application to receive email from canada embassy?
On the other hand after leaving America on June 30th, after one week conference in Belgium, I will go to my country, do you think it is better to write my country as mailing address in application form? which of them is better?

I will be thankful if you can help me in this regard.
Thanks,
Azin