+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

urgent!!! need help asap!!!

bacidash

Star Member
Jul 23, 2012
Hey guys, please help!!!

I have not yet sent my application to sponsor my wife to canada yet, but I just found out within the last few hours that I have been accepted to study abroad. I don't.know what to do

If I go does that mean I have to delay the application process, and how witll this work for me? Has anyone had a similar situation? Do I have to wait till im done the schooling in order to apply to bring my wife here?

Please help im really confused.

Thank you all in advance.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
bacidash said:
Hey guys, please help!!!

I have not yet sent my application to sponsor my wife to canada yet, but I just found out within the last few hours that I have been accepted to study abroad. I don't.know what to do

If I go does that mean I have to delay the application process, and how witll this work for me? Has anyone had a similar situation? Do I have to wait till im done the schooling in order to apply to bring my wife here?

Are you a citizen of Canada or a PR?

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
bacidash said:
Im a canadian citizen
As a Canadian citizen you are able to live abroad when u are sponsoring your wife, however, u will need to move back to Canada with her once she has received her permanent residency, and u will need to show the visa officer your plans for moving back... so if the course is longer than 1 year, I don't know how it will work with sponsoring your wife since then the course would likely be longer than the sponsorship process (unless she is from a longer visa office like Pakistan or Singapore). If it's only a semester abroad then u will be 100% ok! Just show proof to the visa officers that u will definitely move back to Canada once your wife gets her PR.

Mez007

Star Member
Mar 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-01-2012
AOR Received.
20-02-2012
File Transfer...
20-04-2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
24-09-2012
bacidash said:
Hey guys, please help!!!

This is confusing, Are you in Canada ? where are you going to Study ?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013

bacidash

Star Member
Jul 23, 2012
tink23 said:
As a Canadian citizen you are able to live abroad when u are sponsoring your wife, however, u will need to move back to Canada with her once she has received her permanent residency, and u will need to show the visa officer your plans for moving back... so if the course is longer than 1 year, I don't know how it will work with sponsoring your wife since then the course would likely be longer than the sponsorship process (unless she is from a longer visa office like Pakistan or Singapore). If it's only a semester abroad then u will be 100% ok! Just show proof to the visa officers that u will definitely move back to Canada once your wife gets her PR.
Where I have gotten accepted is going to be longer than one year, and my wife is interested in the same program, so I was hoping that once she arrives in canada to apply so that she will be able to acfompany me in the program abroad. But im thinking maybe to leave this process and to apply for her from the country of study to her country of current residence, and once we're done the program to apply for her to come to canada. Maybe this is a better option? Anyone agree or not. Because for the time being my main concern is being together with my wife, secondary is that she gets her canadian pr or citizenship.

bacidash

Star Member
Jul 23, 2012
parker24 said:
Second what Tink said :)
Lol, sorry for the confusion. Im a canadian citizen, currently living in canada, but I just found out that I got accepted to study abroad, and im trying to figure out what to do, will me accepting this offer mean that I can't submit my application to CIC?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
bacidash said:
Lol, sorry for the confusion. Im a canadian citizen, currently living in canada, but I just found out that I got accepted to study abroad, and im trying to figure out what to do, will me accepting this offer mean that I can't submit my application to CIC?
Not necessarily. The problem is, once she gets PR you will have to move back with her. I would wait until you finish school abroad if that's what you want to do (go to school).

bacidash

Star Member
Jul 23, 2012
parker24 said:
Not necessarily. The problem is, once she gets PR you will have to move back with her. I would wait until you finish school abroad if that's what you want to do (go to school).
So once she comes to canada with pr, I can't come back and apply for her to.come abroad with me? Will that effect her citizenship? Does pr expire?

achkorea

Star Member
Mar 3, 2010
Seoul
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2011
AOR Received.
22-06-2011
File Transfer...
09-06-2011
Med's Request
Medical received 31-10-2011 (Medical exp., new med request) May/2012
Med's Done....
11-04-2011 (2nd Med compl May/2012)
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
Passport biopage and mailing address req. 17-8-12
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-2012
LANDED..........
24-12-2012
As a permanent resident, I believe she needs to be spend a certain amount of time in Canada. If she is studying abroad, she cannot fulfill her residency requirements. Even if you defer your year, she still won't be able to spend that year abroad. I think you're going to have to choose one or the other.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
I think that if you sponsor her, she gets her PR and then she leaves Canada to follow you, then she won't loose her PR as she would be following a Canadian Spouse abroad. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp
Good luck with your decision - it also depends on where your wife is from. As stated by other posters, for some nationalities it can take up to 2 years or more - so in that case you could start the process ( as Canadian, you can be abroad, no problems), and move when she gets in PR.
Sweden

JimM

Sep 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2012
Since your already married and will be living out of the country why not just wait to sponsor her after your studies are done, assuming of course she can join you wherever it is you're studying?

bacidash

Star Member
Jul 23, 2012
Sweden said:
I think that if you sponsor her, she gets her PR and then she leaves Canada to follow you, then she won't loose her PR as she would be following a Canadian Spouse abroad. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp
Good luck with your decision - it also depends on where your wife is from. As stated by other posters, for some nationalities it can take up to 2 years or more - so in that case you could start the process ( as Canadian, you can be abroad, no problems), and move when she gets in PR.
Sweden
Are you referring to this section:
"If you were outside Canada for 1095 days or more in the past five years

If applicable:

proof of your relationship to the Canadian citizen you accompanied abroad and proof of his or her citizenship; and
proof that your Canadian citizen spouse was outside Canada with you; or
proof of your full-time employment to a Canadian business abroad"?

But it was short notice the news and i might have to leave, even though I havent finished all my documents, does that mean I have to apply in a different format? Since I might be applying from outside the country? Also when she arrives to canada and then comes abroad right away, will that delay her eligibility to qualify for citizenship?

JimM said:
Since your already married and will be living out of the country why not just wait to sponsor her after your studies are done, assuming of course she can join you wherever it is you're studying?
Honestly i was thinking exactly like you are, like i said before, being together is the important thing for me right now, whether she is a pr or not, its not so much. because if im able to bring her to join me, then approximately one year before returning i can apply for her sponsorship and by the time she is accepted, we can come together. that would be highly ideal.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Seems like you have a solution there... if you know that she is from a country that takes one year, then you can apply in advance. depending on her VO of course.

To answer your previous section - yes, i was referring to that paragraph.
If you are applying outland, the forms are the same whether you are in Canada or not, you need to adjust the address and be more detailed about your plan - so probably an extra work to put on your application. I suppose that since your wife was not in Canada you were applying outland, and for that the sponsor can be in or out of Canada, as long as you are not PR but Canadian citizen it doesn't change anything.

For citizenship- yes, I think that you can only count the days in Canada, so it will delay it.

But - you might have a stronger case if you apply and she is with you. Unless she is from a VO where it takes 2 years (then apply now!), it seems like a better idea to wait... go study, let her join you, and prepare the application together, you will also have more proofs as a couple as she would move to be with you and you would be living together (which I assume you are not now) - the only difference is tht you would have to explain in details what is your plan to return to Canada etc. But - my partner is a student outside of Canada, and the main reason for returning is that he is done with his studies - he explained in details what he will do to return etc and got approved without troubles, so it's feasible!

Good luck,
Sweden