+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT: Just got a "Medical Surveillance" email and I'm freaking tf out.

jetrel

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
So I "passed" my medical as of yesterday, but this morning I got an email saying I probably have a medical condition that requires surveillance. I'm assuming they think I have TB, but I don't see how that can be the case. I have no symptoms of TB, no trouble with breathing. Hell, I've even been vaccinated against it. So I'm freaking out about what other nasties I might have.

The email was unclear - I'm not sure if I have to do this before or after I get PR. Has anyone else had this notification? What did you do?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So I "passed" my medical as of yesterday, but this morning I got an email saying I probably have a medical condition that requires surveillance. I'm assuming they think I have TB, but I don't see how that can be the case. I have no symptoms of TB, no trouble with breathing. Hell, I've even been vaccinated against it. So I'm freaking out about what other nasties I might have.

The email was unclear - I'm not sure if I have to do this before or after I get PR. Has anyone else had this notification? What did you do?
Medical surveillance is for TB, so it wouldn't be anything else. If a chest x-ray shows possible TB, there are further tests required before a medical is passed. You should have been sent for sputum tests and further x-rays. You can contact the Panel Physician's office to ask about your results but it's quite possible it's a mistake.

Surveillance starts after landing.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/standard-requirements/medical-requirements/surveillance-notifications/medical-surveillance.html

Reactions: scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Medical surveillance is for TB, so it wouldn't be anything else. If a chest x-ray shows possible TB, there are further tests required before a medical is passed. You should have been sent for sputum tests and further x-rays. You can contact the Panel Physician's office to ask about your results but it's quite possible it's a mistake.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/standard-requirements/medical-requirements/surveillance-notifications/medical-surveillance.html
Could be for hepatitis.

jetrel

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've already done the additional x-ray and sputum test. I suppose it is possible I have latent TB - or maybe the vaccine can cause false positives?

Anyway, when you say "after landing", I'm already in Canada. Does that mean "after I get my PR?"

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've already done the additional x-ray and sputum test. I suppose it is possible I have latent TB - or maybe the vaccine can cause false positives?

Anyway, when you say "after landing", I'm already in Canada. Does that mean "after I get my PR?"
If you already had to do the additional TB testing, then you knew it was possible that you have TB, so why are freaking out now and worrying about other stuff? Given this information (which really should have been in your first post), I'm going to say that this was not a mistake.

It has nothing to do with the vaccine; as I said, it is the initial chest x-ray that shows possible TB.

Yes, after landing as a PR, though if confirmed as TB you could be proactive and do with it sooner.

Jun 25, 2021

Hello :) I just want to ask how did your medical surveillance went and did you receive your PR? I’m in the same boat :)