+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent: Is Restoration of status required for study gap?

TasnimB

Jan 14, 2018
Hi.
I posted a similar question but apparently in a wrong topic.
One of my friend completed her post graduate program in last fall (2017) under study permit and had a child born in December. Since she was working on campus , (part time teaching assistantship and research assistantship), she had obtained EI hours and hence, she applied for maternity benefit and parental benefit on account of her EI , which she is receiving currently.

Since she has applied for PhD for next fall (2018), she had not applied for Post grad. work permit.
Just for information, after her completion of masters program, she had neither worked nor studied, so she had not violated any act according to IRPA.
But now, she is suddenly concerned if she is required to have her status restored as student or apply for work permit.
Her '90-day restoration period after status expires' is going to end soon, so she is desperate to know if she has to apply for restoration of status or not.
Please enlighten on this matter, according to your experience and knowledge.

Roschekyrie

Apr 23, 2019
Hi i need some information. I lost my status last April 2022. I apply to restore my status last May and my status was restored last September 2022. My question is about child benefit. Will the 18 months will have to start again from the time i restore my status? I already recieving child benefit in my first work permit.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi i need some information. I lost my status last April 2022. I apply to restore my status last May and my status was restored last September 2022. My question is about child benefit. Will the 18 months will have to start again from the time i restore my status? I already recieving child benefit in my first work permit.
You should speak with CRA Agent and explain your situation. I am aware of implied status, but not with restoration. Its a grey area