+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT - Huge Mistake on Schedule A!

JRob32

Star Member
Jul 27, 2018
Tonight I realized my husband and I incorrectly answered question 6 B on the Schedule A form.

We incorrectly read the question regarding whether he had ever been convinced of a crime in any country and checked “no” when we should have checked “yes” (marijuana possession in 2010).

We did disclose the conviction under the question “have you ever been arrested, detained etc”, which we said “yes” to. This was an honest mistake. We misread the question. The lawyer we hired to go over our forms prior to submitting also did not catch this despite knowing about his past. I should also mention we submitted his fbi check with these forms which also highlight the conviction.

We realized this major error when working to update information to the IRCC regarding his criminal background history, as a week ago he learned he had a drug paraphernalia possession charge from 2016 that he knew absolutely nothing about until last week. He paid the $500 fine right away and the case has since been closed. As we were working toward informing the IRCC about this charge and the fact that we did not know about it until after our permanent residency application was submitted, we realized the huge mistake in our Schedule A.

I am seeking opinions on whether we are likely to be hit with misrepresentation on failing to check “yes” to question 6 B. We did not hide any of this information - it was all there, we simply incorrectly answered the question when asked but provided full details of his arrests and conviction in an accompanying letter... the only information that was missing was the information we learned AFTER we submitted our application.

Unfortunately we have lost all faith in the legal council we had hired, as she also missed this error.

Please, any opinions or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. We have a 3 month old son and will be devastated if my husband is banned for 5 years due to a very honest mistake made by sleep deprived new parents and a lawyer who wasn’t paying close enough attention.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You may wish to keep to one thread rather than starting another.

Depending on the visa officer handling your file since you declared the arrest and included the FBI certificate that highlights the charge, you may not get hit with misrepresentation. You're not actually hiding this, as your police certificate addresses the charge.

I would still file a webform and identify what happened

I.Jahan

Jul 20, 2019
Visa Office......
Singapore
Hello experts
I just found out i have done a mistake in my education history at Schedule A/Background Declaration form. My application is in last stage after medical passed on 2nd October. After that i didn’t hear anything from them till now. I guess my BGC is going on. Do i still have the time to rectify the error via webform? I am panicking big time. Any concrete suggestion is highly appreciated

JRob32

Star Member
Jul 27, 2018
Hello experts
I just found out i have done a mistake in my education history at Schedule A/Background Declaration form. My application is in last stage after medical passed on 2nd October. After that i didn’t hear anything from them till now. I guess my BGC is going on. Do i still have the time to rectify the error via webform? I am panicking big time. Any concrete suggestion is highly appreciated
I consulted an experienced immigration lawyer about this and they told me that as long as you bring the information to them before they bring it to you, that you’ll be okay. Submit that webform and relax, you will be fine for bringing it to their attention before they find the error themselves.

I.Jahan

Jul 20, 2019
Visa Office......
Singapore
Thanks a lot for such informative comment. I will submit a webform soon. Hope they will accept it in this stage.
I consulted an experienced immigration lawyer about this and they told me that as long as you bring the information to them before they bring it to you, that you’ll be okay. Submit that webform and relax, you will be fine for bringing it to their attention before they find the error themselves.

Mahrafff

Oct 9, 2019
Hello experts
Hi, I’m in a same trouble. I made an honest mistake replying NO instead of YES in section 4 on Background form, when asking about my visa refusal records. I send a message explaining the issue as soon as I found out about my mistake. Still waiting for their reply. Would you please let me know what happened in your case?
I appreciate your help, I’m panicked.

JRob32

Star Member
Jul 27, 2018
Hi, I’m in a same trouble. I made an honest mistake replying NO instead of YES in section 4 on Background form, when asking about my visa refusal records. I send a message explaining the issue as soon as I found out about my mistake. Still waiting for their reply. Would you please let me know what happened in your case?
I appreciate your help, I’m panicked.
Hi! I took the same approach - sent a message explaining the error and sent an updated schedule A form with the correct box checked. I did not receive any “formal” communication on the error other than that the amendment was received, but it turned out to not be an issue! My husband got his PR approved in July. As long as you’re honest and catch the error before they do, you’re fine! :)

Reactions: Mahrafff

Mahrafff

Oct 9, 2019
Hi! I took the same approach - sent a message explaining the error and sent an updated schedule A form with the correct box checked. I did not receive any “formal” communication on the error other than that the amendment was received, but it turned out to not be an issue! My husband got his PR approved in July. As long as you’re honest and catch the error before they do, you’re fine! :)
THANK YOU so much, I did as you said. Hope you enjoy your life together.