+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT How do I land by crossing the border?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Hello,
We got PR of Canada. We are planning to go to canada through Niagara falls border. Can we drive through our own car? We need to get our visa also for coming back to US. So we should be back in a week. Will they allow us to take our car in canada? Do we need to do some formalities for taking our own car to canada and coming back to US?

Any guidance will help please
Are you establishing residence in Canada for customs purposes or just landing to become PRs? If its the latter you should be able to drive your own car without importing it just yet, but it should be listed on your settler's effects list. Nevertheless, there could still be some confusion with the officers, so make sure you clearly state your intentions.

One thing to consider is that once you land, the clock starts ticking on your PR residency obligations. Usually not an issue for most, but if you plan to land and return to the US or elsewhere abroad for some time, you might want to do it as close to your visa expiration date as possible. espeically if future plans are not firm.

mkcool28

May 16, 2017
Hello,
We got PR of Canada. We are planning to go to canada through Niagara falls border. Can we drive through our own car? We need to get our visa also for coming back to US. So we should be back in a week. Will they allow us to take our car in canada? Do we need to do some formalities for taking our own car to canada and coming back to US?

So, we just are going to canada for landing and will be back to USA after a week. Can we take our car? Also our car is a lease car. We do not own that car. Will that be a problem?

Tanya8291

Dec 2, 2017
Hello,

Hi, I did some research on my on...if you are moving permanently then you need to export and import the car,if you are temporarily are moving and will leave the Canada, then I suggest to contact the borders. If you want to export the car you'll need to do registry and after they receive and accept your document, the car need to be another 72 hours on USA soil, at import you'll need to get a recall clearance letter, which it takes around a week to receive. More info you can find for export: https://www.autoexports.us/ and for import :http://www.riv.ca/ Good luck.