+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT HELP REQUIRED FOR CARRYING INSULIN

kennjosh

May 15, 2015
HELLO TO ALL, THERE IS A FRIEND OF MINE WHO IS GOING ON STUDY PERMIT TO CANADA, ALONG WITH ME IN MEMORIAL UNIVERSITY. MY FRIEND IS A DIABETIC AND TAKES INSULIN INJECTIONS 3 TIMES A DAY, HE IS PLANNING TO CARRY INSULIN ALONG FROM INDIA TO CANADA, FOR AN YEAR, AS THE INSULIN IN CANADA IS REALLY VERY COSTLY AND REQUIRES DOCTORS PRESCRIPTION TO BUY.

HOWEVER, THERE IS A SMALL DOUBT THAT WE HAVE, IS AS HE IS PLANNING TO CARRY 1 YEARS' DRUGS, THAT IS AROUND 25 BOTTLES OF INSULIN AND HIS REQUIRED AMOUNT OF SYRINGES AND NEEDLES. WILL HE BE ALLOWED TO CARRY ALL THAT BECAUSE I READ IT SOMEWHERE IN BLOG ON INTERNET, THAT WE CANNOT CARRY LIQUID MORE THAN 100 ML, AND HIS IS 2500 ML OF INSULIN. DOES THIS CLAUSE MEANS 100 ML IN ONE BOTTLE OR TOTAL LIQUID 100 ML. ALSO I HEARD THAT INSULIN LOOSES ITS POTENCY WHEN THE BAG IS SCANNED FROM XRAY, I AM REALLY VERY SCARED HE IS MY BEST FRIEND, HOW DO WE CARRY OUT THE THINGS

KINDLY HELP US, HIS FLIGHT IS ON 28 TH APRIL FROM AIR INDIA.

dbf1

Star Member
Mar 5, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
By the Grace of God
kennjosh, I'm not sure they will allow him carry that bush. Please do some research on allowed drug contents online.
kennjosh said:
HELLO TO ALL, THERE IS A FRIEND OF MINE WHO IS GOING ON STUDY PERMIT TO CANADA, ALONG WITH ME IN MEMORIAL UNIVERSITY. MY FRIEND IS A DIABETIC AND TAKES INSULIN INJECTIONS 3 TIMES A DAY, HE IS PLANNING TO CARRY INSULIN ALONG FROM INDIA TO CANADA, FOR AN YEAR, AS THE INSULIN IN CANADA IS REALLY VERY COSTLY AND REQUIRES DOCTORS PRESCRIPTION TO BUY.

HOWEVER, THERE IS A SMALL DOUBT THAT WE HAVE, IS AS HE IS PLANNING TO CARRY 1 YEARS' DRUGS, THAT IS AROUND 25 BOTTLES OF INSULIN AND HIS REQUIRED AMOUNT OF SYRINGES AND NEEDLES. WILL HE BE ALLOWED TO CARRY ALL THAT BECAUSE I READ IT SOMEWHERE IN BLOG ON INTERNET, THAT WE CANNOT CARRY LIQUID MORE THAN 100 ML, AND HIS IS 2500 ML OF INSULIN. DOES THIS CLAUSE MEANS 100 ML IN ONE BOTTLE OR TOTAL LIQUID 100 ML. ALSO I HEARD THAT INSULIN LOOSES ITS POTENCY WHEN THE BAG IS SCANNED FROM XRAY, I AM REALLY VERY SCARED HE IS MY BEST FRIEND, HOW DO WE CARRY OUT THE THINGS

KINDLY HELP US, HIS FLIGHT IS ON 28 TH APRIL FROM AIR INDIA.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Have you contacted the airline in first instance. Then has your friend an official note from doctor or hospital saying friend is a diabetic and detailing the prescription for all the insulin supplies plus any syringes planning to take in carry on. The insulin bottles will probably need to be screened separately and syringes declared from other carry on , no choice I expect about xray but that would likely be the decision of the screener.What about the risk of temperature changes storing such a quantity in hand luggage. The 100ml rule is per container not a total but insulin if declared should be handled separately anyway. Plenty of info on web re travel with insulin eg. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/know-your-rights/discrimination/public-accommodations/air-travel-and-diabetes/what-can-i-bring-with-me.html As said in first instance talk to airline and get the official note from doctor or hospital as without may be problems.

kennjosh

May 15, 2015
Thank you Bs65, yes he did tell the medical officers when he was undergoing the medical examination for visa, secondly he has the a letter from the hospital and specifically the pediatrician, who diagnosed him, that he takes insulin.
and he planes to carry all that in a special insulin carry pack which keeps the tempratures at the required level for more than 24 hours

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You're technically allowed to bring a 90 day supply. So if you bring more than a 90 day supply, it's possible the medication could be confiscated.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
scylla said:
You're technically allowed to bring a 90 day supply. So if you bring more than a 90 day supply, it's possible the medication could be confiscated.
See section 6 figure 2 only a 90 day supply allowed http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/compli-conform/import-export/gui-0084_biu-uif-eng.php whether a visitor or a resident

kennjosh

May 15, 2015
Thank you scylla and bs65. Well the clause clearly says that "Visitors to Canada may bring into Canada, on their person a single course of treatment or a 90-day supply based on the directions for use, whichever is less, of a prescription drug".
kindly help me with this too, to tell you he takes on around 85 ml of insulin in a day and one vial of insulin last for about 11 days so that means 3 bottles of insulin for a months, and as per the rule of 90 days it means he can only carry 9 bottles along.

now he takes around 85 ml of insulin in one day this he knows cant he say that he takes lets say 120 ml and one vial last 8 days, so this way he can increase his his number of insulin vials, can he do that will this manipulation work.

AND DOES HE NEEDS THE DOSAGE ALSO MENTIONED FROM THE DOCTOR, BECAUSE, ITS HARD TO JUDGE AND SET ONE DOSE OF INSULIN, IT ACTUALLY DEPENDS WHAT FOOD IS HE EATING.

KINDLY HELP

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
kennjosh said:
Thank you scylla and bs65. Well the clause clearly says that "Visitors to Canada may bring into Canada, on their person a single course of treatment or a 90-day supply based on the directions for use, whichever is less, of a prescription drug".
kindly help me with this too, to tell you he takes on around 85 ml of insulin in a day and one vial of insulin last for about 11 days so that means 3 bottles of insulin for a months, and as per the rule of 90 days it means he can only carry 9 bottles along.

now he takes around 85 ml of insulin in one day this he knows cant he say that he takes lets say 120 ml and one vial last 8 days, so this way he can increase his his number of insulin vials, can he do that will this manipulation work.

AND DOES HE NEEDS THE DOSAGE ALSO MENTIONED FROM THE DOCTOR, BECAUSE, ITS HARD TO JUDGE AND SET ONE DOSE OF INSULIN, IT ACTUALLY DEPENDS WHAT FOOD IS HE EATING.

KINDLY HELP
Not sure anyone on here can help with this level of detail as we are not medical practioners and without knowing I would assume that people are different when comes to insulin some people take more some less depending on their condition and prescription. The latter should be a clue if you get a doctors letter or prescription that in terms of volume matches the number of vials to be administered over a 90 day period even if actual need is less that may be enough to provide some extra. What an individual says they have to take needs really I would expect to be backed up with the prescription or doctors letter so whilst your suggestion may be fine you need paperwork to back it up given medication is likely inspected separately documentation is key.

Rabbit123

Dec 16, 2016
Hi kennjosh and others,

Can you let me know how your friend was able to carry Insulin to Canada. My mother is coming to Canada and takes insulin twice a day.

I also verified that insulin supply has to be carried in cabin baggage and not to be checked in. If 90 days supply of insulin has to be carried in cabin baggage, then was it kept in a fridge or any special types of bags to keep insulin cold?

Thanks in advance,
Prathibha

shanthakumar

May 26, 2020
Dear All i just want to know if we are coming to Canada can we carry the insulin with us if yes how many bottles can we take with us