+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT HELP NEEDED REGARDING STUDY PERMIT AT POE

h.k.s

Aug 5, 2013
I arrived in Canada, Toronto on 17th August and had a stress-free process leaving the airport. I had my TRV stamped on my passport for study and I thought that this is my study permit so I do not need any other documents, and was not asked at the airport, and neither was informed about anything. However, when I arrived at St Johns, at the university, I was informed that I do not have a study permit that had to be issued at the point of entry, in Toronto!! Now I have no idea what I should do. I have been told to contact CIC on Tuesday and see where it goes on from there. Anyone with any info on what to do??? :( :( :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Find a friend with a car and drive down to the closest US/Canada land border. Exit Canada - then re-enter to get your study permit. This time make sure you tell them you are activating a study permit.

h.k.s

Aug 5, 2013
scylla said:
Find a friend with a car and drive down to the closest US/Canada land border. Exit Canada - then re-enter to get your study permit. This time make sure you tell them you are activating a study permit.
Are you serious? I can't do that.. Newfoundland and Labrador is an island and I can't cross any borders.. and I will need a US visa if I want to cross that border which will be even more difficult to get at this point :(

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
h.k.s said:
Are you serious? I can't do that.. Newfoundland and Labrador is an island and I can't cross any borders.. and I will need a US visa if I want to cross that border which will be even more difficult to get at this point :(
well are you from a visa exempt country?

You can try calling CIC but it will be hard since it is the long weekend so you will need to wait until Sep 2.

That's the only option I can see.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
u have to cross border again be it US canada or u flyout and fly back in ......US canada border is easy.....u dont need US visa u flag pole ......u made a mistake by not getting a study permit/not inquiring about study permit. I am not sure if ur right now legal in canada or not so u should get it fast.

h.k.s

Aug 5, 2013
Yeah, well, I wasn't well informed since I thought I already have it and the immigration department didn't say anything regarding the study permit when I arrived in Toronto. I am from Kenya so I am not from a visa exempt country. Will have to find out the next steps on Tuesday unfortunately and see what to do from there :(

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

h.k.s said:

2nd option: If you are approved for SP before coming to Canada, but not issued at POE, you are eligible to apply for it inside Canada (new application).

nmunirali

Star Member
Jan 7, 2011
h.k.s said:
I arrived in Canada, Toronto on 17th August and had a stress-free process leaving the airport. I had my TRV stamped on my passport for study and I thought that this is my study permit so I do not need any other documents, and was not asked at the airport, and neither was informed about anything. However, when I arrived at St Johns, at the university, I was informed that I do not have a study permit that had to be issued at the point of entry, in Toronto!! Now I have no idea what I should do. I have been told to contact CIC on Tuesday and see where it goes on from there. Anyone with any info on what to do??? :( :( :(

Go to nearest Immigrant office and inform them about this... they will ask you to give introduction letter your valid letter of acceptance from university and paid tuition fee receipt and issue you study permit on same day

h.k.s

Aug 5, 2013
nmunirali said:
Go to nearest Immigrant office and inform them about this... they will ask you to give introduction letter your valid letter of acceptance from university and paid tuition fee receipt and issue you study permit on same day
nmunirali, you sure about this? If that's the process, I'm so relieved!! thank you! I will go to the airport here and see if they can do anything. If not, i'll have to wait till Tuesday to get this done. thank you :)

pink1975

Jul 28, 2014
I will like to take this opportunity to advise ourselves that we must observe the golden rule of asking questions when we are in a foreign country. It has been stated clearly that foreign students must ensure that the study permit issued at the POE even has all the correct information bearing the student before leaving the POE. So having landed at the POE, one must tell any immigration officer you approach first that you a foreign student coming to Canada for your studies and you were told by the CIC back in your country that you should take your study permit at the POE before you leave. This is to remind which ever immigration officer who served you at the POE to perform his duty responsibly.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
h.k.s said:
No - you don't need a US visa. When you read the US side, tell them you are "flagpoling" to get a Canadian student visa. They will issue you an administrative refusal (which is not a real refusal). You can then turn around and re-enter Canada.

h.k.s

Aug 5, 2013
I managed to talk to a visa officer at the airport and was assisted accordingly :) now I am legal, haha. thanks for the assistance!!

Reactions: astraldust