+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent help needed How to remain p r status

Pal3580

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
Hi friends I m posting this on the behalf of my friend.Acctualy he got his p r in Feb 2013.He finally move to Canada in Jan 2015 along with his family,both of his children are studying in university.His wife and both children's going to became Canadian citizen with in next six months.but unfortunately he can't fulfill his p r obligation I.e two years in a five year period.his p r card is already expired in Feb 2018.still he need to live up to march 2019 to complete his two years.Now problem is that he have to go to his home country for his buisness. In that case what he can do to remain his p r.
His wife just apply for citizenship in May month and she May get her citizenship in next six months.some one told him that it's better to quit p r once and apply again for a spouse visa instead of apply on humanitarian grounds. Friends plz suggest a suitable solutions or if someone face same situation plz share

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Well the first challenge for your friend will be leaving the country without a valid PR card will mean he will need a PRTD to fly back to Canada. Once he applies for the PRTD this will highlight the fact that he has not met the RO so will possibly be refused and may start the process to revoke his PR status. Without a PRTD only option would be via US land border with the expired card hoping not reported there.

You mention humanitarian grounds, what grounds exactly caused him to fail the RO. H&C applications generally only considered for scenarios such as looking after sick close relatives outside Canada and not due to business reasons.

Others can comment as I am not going to recommend anything but yes he could if the PRTD is rejected, renounce PR and have his wife sponsor from scratch but that would mean a long time apart outside Canada waiting for approval.

He could take his chances first at the US land border , if successful then good, if not then at least as a PR still entitled to enter the country whilst any revoke process is started subject to appeal which will take some time to decide next steps, such as sponsor from scratch.

Pal3580

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
Thanx for ur prompt reply.luckly he has a u s visa so he can choose u s land border to enter Canada.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanx for ur prompt reply.luckly he has a u s visa so he can choose u s land border to enter Canada.
Having Visa to USA will not get away the possibility that he will be reported. He shall bear that in mind. Yes his wife can sponsor him back, but that no RO compliance can make his life complicated for some time.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
If business is more important, he can simply dump or and apply visitor visa. In this case he could even not to file his tax return. Until he is ready to live in canada, has his wife sponsor him again. It's not a long waiting for family reunion type.