+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent help: Mother Thumb Impression or Sign on Family Rep. form ??

dreamgv

May 5, 2014
Hello All,

I am applying for Online Visitor Visa for my father and mother.
My mother always used Thumb impression instead of sign on all documents like passport, however, for Visa application, there are few forms need signature.

Can she use the Thumb impression instead of sign as my mother is more comfortable in the same? Otherwise she will have to learn to sign & at her age she is scared of that. Lol

Also, those forms says, 18 & above must sign.

Not sure what should we do? Please advise if anybody gone through same situation or any other advice?

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello All,

I am applying for Visitor Visa for my father and mother.
My mother always used Thumb impression instead of sign on all documents like passport, however, for Visa application, there are few forms need signature.

Can she use the Thumb impression instead of sign as my mother is more comfortable in the same? Otherwise she will have to learn to sign & at her age she is scared of that. Lol

Not sure what should we do? Please advise if anybody gone through same situation or any other advice?
A signature is defined as "A person's name written in a distinctive way as a form of identification in authorizing a cheque or document or concluding a letter." ( https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/signature ). Having said that, there are many illiterate people who make "their mark" instead. All I can recommend is that you try to get an answer from the IRCC call center.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hello All,

I am applying for Visitor Visa for my father and mother.

If she is applying online then you won't need her signature. If she doesn't know how to sign, just print her name in block letters and include a statement that explain her situation.

dreamgv

May 5, 2014
A signature is defined as "A person's name written in a distinctive way as a form of identification in authorizing a cheque or document or concluding a letter." ( https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/signature ). Having said that, there are many illiterate people who make "their mark" instead. All I can recommend is that you try to get an answer from the IRCC call center.
Thank you so much, I will try that.

dreamgv

May 5, 2014
If she is applying online then you won't need her signature. If she doesn't know how to sign, just print her name in block letters and include a statement that explain her situation.
Thank you so much.
Yes, it’s online application, So do you mean I will write her name on signature box of her form and write explanation letter? Or can she use Thumb impression instead?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Thank you so much.
Yes, it’s online application, So do you mean I will write her name on signature box of her form and write explanation letter? Or can she use Thumb impression instead?
For online submission, once you have completed the forms and uploaded all the documents on the mycic account, click submit and a pop up will show where you can sign electronically.

You can always include a explanation letter in her application.

dreamgv

May 5, 2014
For online submission, once you have completed the forms and uploaded all the documents on the mycic account, click submit and a pop up will show where you can sign electronically.

You can always include a explanation letter in her application.
Oh okay. My father is principal applicant and my mother is included as family application, so will it ask for electronic sign for both ?

Meanwhile while uploading the documents, I will have to print all and write name of my mother wherever applicable, correct?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Oh okay. My father is principal applicant and my mother is included as family application, so will it ask for electronic sign for both ?

Meanwhile while uploading the documents, I will have to print all and write name of my mother wherever applicable, correct?
I believe it will ask for one signature and that would be the principal applicant and no you don't need to print and scan the forms again. You just need to fill out the forms online and submit it as it is. Because the IMM5257e form is not printable and if you do print the form and scan to upload, a error message will pop up.

dreamgv

May 5, 2014
I believe it will ask for one signature and that would be the principal applicant and no you don't need to print and scan the forms again. You just need to fill out the forms online and submit it as it is. Because the IMM5257e form is not printable and if you do print the form and scan to upload, a error message will pop up.
Thank you so much.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you are filling out a form with an electronic signature, you cannot sign it with pen or thumbprint. You sign it by clicking a button.

naveedali

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2015
Lahore
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 2016
AOR Received.