+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

urgent help: how can i renew my PR card without meeting residency obligation

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I dont think that i was hired because of my PR because the position was open to everyone with preference for citizens and veterans. PR is one of the factor that they dont need to file work permit
Going based on what you said. You said they needed special permission to hire a PR. Just pointing out that instead of trying to get you a new PR card even though you have not met the RO (unlikely to be offered but based on your opinion) your employers will get annoyed that you applied in the first place thatchy wasted all that time. If you know that your job involves international travel you have to be upfront and explain that you will not be able to leave for at least 2 years. It will actually longer and the government will unlikely be willing to pay to fly you close to the US border so then you can drive the rest of the way. Not trying to be rude but the RO requirement is very lenient and there are consequences if you don't fulfill the requirement.

Dentist_india

Star Member
Jun 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2011
Doc's Request.
02-10-2013
AOR Received.
04-05-2011
IELTS Request
with the application
Med's Request
02-10-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2013
Going based on what you said. You said they needed special permission to hire a PR. Just pointing out that instead of trying to get you a new PR card even though you have not met the RO (unlikely to be offered but based on your opinion) your employers will get annoyed that you applied in the first place thatchy wasted all that time. If you know that your job involves international travel you have to be upfront and explain that you will not be able to leave for at least 2 years. It will actually longer and the government will unlikely be willing to pay to fly you close to the US border so then you can drive the rest of the way. Not trying to be rude but the RO requirement is very lenient and there are consequences if you don't fulfill the requirement.
thank you for your reply. I understand your argument and agree that RO is not very strict. Sometimes, employment situations make it harder for people to switch countries. I should have been more careful on residency issues.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I meant to say if exceptions can be made for national interest.
I’m sure there are no exceptions that can circumvent law, but it really comes down to how convincing you can be if it comes to an appeal and the evidence you provide to sway a decision in your favour. The importance of your work for the government may be one of those items you present as evidence. But really, it only comes to that if you are reported.

I am now intending to live permanently in Canada and will develop ties such as buying a house, or other property
Not to make light of your intent, but that is a common theme amongst PR who are facing possible residency review for RO. Not the most convincing statement IMO, as IRCC probably hears it several times a day.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I’m sure there are no exceptions that can circumvent law, but it really comes down to how convincing you can be if it comes to an appeal and the evidence you provide to sway a decision in your favour. The importance of your work for the government may be one of those items you present as evidence. But really, it only comes to that if you are reported.

Not to make light of your intent, but that is a common theme amongst PR who are facing possible residency review for RO. Not the most convincing statement IMO, as IRCC probably hears it several times a day.
Would think your job or specialty would have to be very rare and extremely special for someone to even ask if getting a new PR card for you might even be possible.

Reactions: Buletruck

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear all,

I need your urgent help. I have PR which is going to expire within a year and i am currently living in the US. I got a job offer from Govt of Canada which may involve some international travel. I can enter Canada and stay there for two year but that will not be possible because of my job requirements. Can i renew my PR card being a canadian govt employee. what will happen to my spouse PR?

Thank you
DI
Here's the short answer:
- You won't be able to renew your PR card until you have 2 years of physical presence in Canada over the last 5 years.
- Unfortunately your job does not give you any benefits in this regard or provide you with any short cuts or special treatment. You must still meet RO just like anyone else to successfully renew your card.
- It's possible you may encounter challenges / issues re-entering Canada as you get closer to the expiry of your PR card. Or you may have no issues re-entering. Once your PR card expires, you'll be in a much different situation and may have to stop traveling at that point until you meet RO and are able to renew your PR card.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
also your current job will not be an excuse of your past inability to meet RO. If you want to appeal in that case you need to provide a strong evidence why were you not able to meet RO in the past.
And of course they would not hire you if you were not PR already. Simply because of LMIA requirement or any internal requirement to hire Citizens and then by exception PR.
The reason there again is simple. They want to hire somebody who will defend national interests that are his or her as well.

The exception you are talking about would be acceptation of H&C. But do not be mistaken that a successful appeal will mean that you cannot be reported on the border again. It only means that at that very moment when you will be sitting in Canada you will be given a pass. But try to go out just for a day (for example to visit your family abroad) and still not meeting RO and they can report you again.

From what I see, you case is of somebody who works in USA because it is more convenient and now upon finding opportunity in Canada wants to return.
Maybe it would have been more reasonable to accept lower salary in Canada in past and stay rather than trying to do this now.

Dentist_india

Star Member
Jun 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2011
Doc's Request.
02-10-2013
AOR Received.
04-05-2011
IELTS Request
with the application
Med's Request
02-10-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2013
Thank you all. It seems i have to try and stay there for two years or give up on this offer. Any other suggestions are welcome too

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you all. It seems i have to try and stay there for two years or give up on this offer. Any other suggestions are welcome too
You hold an India passport - yes? Do you have any sort of status in the US (green card, citizenship).

Dentist_india

Star Member
Jun 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2011
Doc's Request.
02-10-2013
AOR Received.
04-05-2011
IELTS Request
with the application
Med's Request
02-10-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2013
Yes i have indian citizenship and have green card which i am willing to give up for this job

Dentist_india

Star Member
Jun 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2011
Doc's Request.
02-10-2013
AOR Received.
04-05-2011
IELTS Request
with the application
Med's Request
02-10-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2013
What if I lose PR for not not meeting residency obligation. Can i still continue working on work permit or fresh PR application

Dentist_india

Star Member
Jun 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2011
Doc's Request.
02-10-2013
AOR Received.
04-05-2011
IELTS Request
with the application
Med's Request
02-10-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2013
Hi Guys, what are the ways to keep this job if i lose my PR after working for sometime. Can i switch to work permit and then reapply for PR?

Assuming that i join the permanent government position in Canada and later my appeal to restore PR gets rejected. What will be my options or my employer's options?

Last edited:

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hi Guys, what are the ways to keep this job if i lose my PR after working for sometime. Can i switch to work permit and then reapply for PR?
I think the people who can answer that are the people hiring you? Different companies/government departments have different requirements.

Dentist_india

Star Member
Jun 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2011
Doc's Request.
02-10-2013
AOR Received.
04-05-2011
IELTS Request
with the application
Med's Request
02-10-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2013
I think the people who can answer that are the people hiring you? Different companies/government departments have different requirements.
Thanks. I have already explained this situation to my employer and i am waiting to hear back from them. Earlier they suggested that canadian govt employee should not have any problem renewing PR card but i guess it was the assumption and not the concrete answer

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Assuming that i join the permanent government position in Canada and later my appeal to restore PR gets rejected. What will be my options or my employer's options?
Your employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA in order for you to be able to apply for a closed work permit.

Dentist_india

Star Member
Jun 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2011
Doc's Request.
02-10-2013
AOR Received.
04-05-2011
IELTS Request
with the application
Med's Request
02-10-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2013
Your employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA in order for you to be able to apply for a closed work permit.
So, in case of LMIA, employer will reappoint me or i can continue my employment.

Thank you Guys. I am extremely thankful to all of you for helping me. Though some folks get annoyed also but it is justifiable