+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Help!!! GCMS Shows "Fingerprints Required", IRCC Didn't communicate it to us

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
My application is "In Process" since November 10, 2017. My other timeline can be seen in my signature.
I ordered GCMS on February 14, 2018 for me and my wife and received my GCMS notes by email on March 16, 2018.
While going through the GCMS notes of my wife, I came across the following entries:
Contrary to my usual reluctance to offer advice, I'd suggest putting a printout copy of this in your file, along with your copy of the application you submitted, and WAIT ANOTHER SIX (6) TO EIGHT (8) MONTHS; in the meantime continue to periodically check eCas and watch your mailbox and email for correspondence or notice from IRCC, prepare for the test, and maintain relevant records in case IRCC requests additional evidence. Be sure to notify IRCC of any changes in the information provided in the application, such as any change in the address where you actually live or if there are any events which might possibly be relevant to an assessment of prohibitions. Otherwise, RELAX.

There is some possibility that the reference to FPs means there will be a FP request. Nothing to do, however, unless and until there is an actual FP request.

Generally:

There is NO reason to be alarmed or to panic if how things go, for a particular applicant, differs from what others are reporting: there has been a HUGE surge in citizenship applications in the last six months, which is almost certain to result in widely varying differences between the many tens of thousands of applications now in process, including an unusually large number of anomalies, the vast majority of which will be merely annoying or somewhat inconvenient but NOT a real problem. Not a problem the applicant can do anything about other than what all applicants need to do: WAIT, wait and watch for IRCC correspondence or notices. WAIT. One month. Six months. A Year. The timeline for applicants who applied in the last six months is going to vary. The timeline is going to vary a lot. SO RELAX and WAIT. Relax and wait, and watch for IRCC correspondence or notice.

Some Further Observations:

This is not a subject I address much, and am doing so here by invitation.

As I often say, and it's in my signature, I am NO expert. Moreover there are many aspects of immigration and citizenship I am not even familiar with, let alone not particularly well informed.

GCMS notes, in particular, fall outside the ambit of what I follow much.

There is a reason for this. Over the course of many years now (nearly a decade) following the citizenship application process, it became increasingly obvious that what is obtained by ATIP applications is RARELY useful. It is clear that ATIP applications made without a particular reason for making the application are a waste, and cause the waste of taxpayer dollars, the diversion of limited IRCC resources, and thus are the opposite of behaving like a citizen of Canada.

[Caveat: sometimes, albeit very rarely, there has been a slip-up by CIC/IRCC in responding to customized applications or applications for physical copies, resulting in surprising disclosures . . . it is obvious this is how we, in the public, obtained a copy of the 2012 File Requirements Checklist (and thankfully the recipient of a response with a copy of the FRC, which is totally redacted in any access to information request for it, shared it online in another previously more active forum), a veritable treasure trove of information which specifically outlined not only every step in the process, at that time, but listed the criteria employed at multiple stages of the process; obviously, quite a lot has changed since then, so that information is in many respects stale, but it nonetheless continues to be a profoundly illuminating blueprint of the process in general, illustrating many of the mechanics involved which probably continue to be relevant. This has been extremely rare. It is apparent that CIC then IRCC implemented measures to minimize the incidental disclosure of internal confidential information. But, yes, there have been occasions in which this process has provided illuminating information.]

The vast majority of qualified applicants have NO NEED to obtain their GCMS notes. Moreover, even for applications with issues or potential issues, usually there is NO NEED to obtain GCMS notes, AND, moreover, the GCMS notes will RARELY provide any actually useful information. (Again, there are of course some exceptions.)

If an application has had no activity for an extraordinary long time, LIKE A YEAR, at the very least eight months or so, a telephone call to the help line, or ATIP application for copy of personal records, MAY trigger IRCC to take action sooner than it otherwise might have. MAYBE.

If there is an actual issue, an actual problem, sometimes, but rarely, a customized ATIP request, a carefully, thoughtfully, well-researched and craftily composed ATIP request, might, but ONLY MIGHT, uncover some useful information; mere copies of GCMS report generated in response to a generic ATIP application, however, are almost always useless even if somewhat interesting.

Note, I do not much follow the activities of helicopter-applicants (those who hover over the minutia of day-to-day progress, obsessed with knowing precisely when this or that incremental step is taken on their application). In contrast, I try to focus on a few particular issues, mostly the more complicated or difficult issues, issues with potential pitfalls, and some issues which tend to be confusing but which can be explained by the applicable statutory provisions (thus, for example, many of my observations address issues related to residency or presence, or the four-year prohibition for foreign convictions which triggers police certificate requirements, and such). And given how long I have followed the process, I will engage in discussions about the overall process and what is involved, so far as we can know, in the incremental stages and steps.

I will be honest, perhaps a bit blunt. While there are circumstances and situations in which it is prudent for an applicant to make a telephone call to the help centre just to check on the status of the application, or even to make the ATIP application to obtain a copy of personal records in the file, THE VAST MAJORITY of qualified applicants NEVER need to even make a help centre telephone call let alone request their personal records. And many who do these when there is no cause, no reason to do so, ARE MAKING IT HARDER FOR THOSE WHO DO NEED TO GET THROUGH TO THE HELP LINE, and are generally diverting very limited resources which undoubtedly SLOWS DOWN PROCESSING FOR EVERYONE. This looms larger now, when there is a far greater number of applications in process than CIC/IRCC has dealt with in nearly three years.

I recognize that scores and scores of routine applicants are sharing minute details such as the date they get AOR, IP, notice for the test, DM, and so on. Which is fine. It is nice to share. It is comforting to have fellow-travelers along the way. BUT most of that information can be gleaned relatively easily from general reporting AND it rarely provides information which applicants can actually use in making decisions. After all, for the vast majority of qualified applicants, once they have sent off the application the only decisions they need to make are very easily made: watch eCas and their mailbox, prepare for the test, and wait. Really!

Sure, most applicants are at least somewhat anxious to know that their application made its way to CPC-Sydney and will be processed. I anxiously checked eCas twice a week until I got AOR. And since I had plans to travel some, but mostly because I also had some circumstances which, at the time, meant my application had a fairly high risk of RQ, I continued to diligently watch for news. So I get the on-the-edge-of-one's-seat attitude, I really do. BUT man-oh-man, these days there is so much frenetic activity in this forum indicating a way-over-the-top obsession with watching for incremental steps day-to-day.

Overall, for any applicant: if you were qualified when you applied, continue to be qualified, did a mostly good job filling out the application, and in particular you were honest, accurate, and responsively complete, with some leeway for minor mistakes, and you are actually living at the address you gave for your residential address, COME ON, RELAX, there is no reason to apprehend anything is going to go awry. Oh, sure, for some, a very small percentage, something will go awry. Stuff happens. And sure, some applicants do not have all that solid a case, and may have reasons for a little extra anxiety. In the meantime, YES, some of you will see others making their way through the process faster, perhaps a lot faster, then you are. This can be expected. This should be expected given that (I am quite sure) well more than a hundred thousand new applications have been submitted in the last six months. There is going to be widely varying differences in how things precisely go. There are going to be all sorts of vagaries and anomalies. BUT for the vast majority, once the application has been accepted, AOR issued, there is nothing more for the applicant to do but WAIT, respond to any correspondence or notices from IRCC, prepare for and show up to take the test. It may take only three months. For many it will take 4, 6, or 8 months. For more than a few it will be 8 to 12 months, or even a little more. Save on dentist bills and avoid gnashing your teeth in the meantime.

Optimist22222

Dec 7, 2011
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 28, 2017
Contrary to my usual reluctance to offer advice, I'd suggest putting a printout copy of this in your file, along with your copy of the application you submitted, and WAIT ANOTHER SIX (6) TO EIGHT (8) MONTHS; in the meantime continue to periodically check eCas and watch your mailbox and email for correspondence or notice from IRCC, prepare for the test, and maintain relevant records in case IRCC requests additional evidence. Be sure to notify IRCC of any changes in the information provided in the application, such as any change in the address where you actually live or if there are any events which might possibly be relevant to an assessment of prohibitions. Otherwise, RELAX.

There is some possibility that the reference to FPs means there will be a FP request. Nothing to do, however, unless and until there is an actual FP request.

Generally:

There is NO reason to be alarmed or to panic if how things go, for a particular applicant, differs from what others are reporting: there has been a HUGE surge in citizenship applications in the last six months, which is almost certain to result in widely varying differences between the many tens of thousands of applications now in process, including an unusually large number of anomalies, the vast majority of which will be merely annoying or somewhat inconvenient but NOT a real problem. Not a problem the applicant can do anything about other than what all applicants need to do: WAIT, wait and watch for IRCC correspondence or notices. WAIT. One month. Six months. A Year. The timeline for applicants who applied in the last six months is going to vary. The timeline is going to vary a lot. SO RELAX and WAIT. Relax and wait, and watch for IRCC correspondence or notice.

Some Further Observations:

This is not a subject I address much, and am doing so here by invitation.

As I often say, and it's in my signature, I am NO expert. Moreover there are many aspects of immigration and citizenship I am not even familiar with, let alone not particularly well informed.

GCMS notes, in particular, fall outside the ambit of what I follow much.

There is a reason for this. Over the course of many years now (nearly a decade) following the citizenship application process, it became increasingly obvious that what is obtained by ATIP applications is RARELY useful. It is clear that ATIP applications made without a particular reason for making the application are a waste, and cause the waste of taxpayer dollars, the diversion of limited IRCC resources, and thus are the opposite of behaving like a citizen of Canada.

[Caveat: sometimes, albeit very rarely, there has been a slip-up by CIC/IRCC in responding to customized applications or applications for physical copies, resulting in surprising disclosures . . . it is obvious this is how we, in the public, obtained a copy of the 2012 File Requirements Checklist (and thankfully the recipient of a response with a copy of the FRC, which is totally redacted in any access to information request for it, shared it online in another previously more active forum), a veritable treasure trove of information which specifically outlined not only every step in the process, at that time, but listed the criteria employed at multiple stages of the process; obviously, quite a lot has changed since then, so that information is in many respects stale, but it nonetheless continues to be a profoundly illuminating blueprint of the process in general, illustrating many of the mechanics involved which probably continue to be relevant. This has been extremely rare. It is apparent that CIC then IRCC implemented measures to minimize the incidental disclosure of internal confidential information. But, yes, there have been occasions in which this process has provided illuminating information.]

The vast majority of qualified applicants have NO NEED to obtain their GCMS notes. Moreover, even for applications with issues or potential issues, usually there is NO NEED to obtain GCMS notes, AND, moreover, the GCMS notes will RARELY provide any actually useful information. (Again, there are of course some exceptions.)

If an application has had no activity for an extraordinary long time, LIKE A YEAR, at the very least eight months or so, a telephone call to the help line, or ATIP application for copy of personal records, MAY trigger IRCC to take action sooner than it otherwise might have. MAYBE.

If there is an actual issue, an actual problem, sometimes, but rarely, a customized ATIP request, a carefully, thoughtfully, well-researched and craftily composed ATIP request, might, but ONLY MIGHT, uncover some useful information; mere copies of GCMS report generated in response to a generic ATIP application, however, are almost always useless even if somewhat interesting.

Note, I do not much follow the activities of helicopter-applicants (those who hover over the minutia of day-to-day progress, obsessed with knowing precisely when this or that incremental step is taken on their application). In contrast, I try to focus on a few particular issues, mostly the more complicated or difficult issues, issues with potential pitfalls, and some issues which tend to be confusing but which can be explained by the applicable statutory provisions (thus, for example, many of my observations address issues related to residency or presence, or the four-year prohibition for foreign convictions which triggers police certificate requirements, and such). And given how long I have followed the process, I will engage in discussions about the overall process and what is involved, so far as we can know, in the incremental stages and steps.

I will be honest, perhaps a bit blunt. While there are circumstances and situations in which it is prudent for an applicant to make a telephone call to the help centre just to check on the status of the application, or even to make the ATIP application to obtain a copy of personal records in the file, THE VAST MAJORITY of qualified applicants NEVER need to even make a help centre telephone call let alone request their personal records. And many who do these when there is no cause, no reason to do so, ARE MAKING IT HARDER FOR THOSE WHO DO NEED TO GET THROUGH TO THE HELP LINE, and are generally diverting very limited resources which undoubtedly SLOWS DOWN PROCESSING FOR EVERYONE. This looms larger now, when there is a far greater number of applications in process than CIC/IRCC has dealt with in nearly three years.

I recognize that scores and scores of routine applicants are sharing minute details such as the date they get AOR, IP, notice for the test, DM, and so on. Which is fine. It is nice to share. It is comforting to have fellow-travelers along the way. BUT most of that information can be gleaned relatively easily from general reporting AND it rarely provides information which applicants can actually use in making decisions. After all, for the vast majority of qualified applicants, once they have sent off the application the only decisions they need to make are very easily made: watch eCas and their mailbox, prepare for the test, and wait. Really!

Sure, most applicants are at least somewhat anxious to know that their application made its way to CPC-Sydney and will be processed. I anxiously checked eCas twice a week until I got AOR. And since I had plans to travel some, but mostly because I also had some circumstances which, at the time, meant my application had a fairly high risk of RQ, I continued to diligently watch for news. So I get the on-the-edge-of-one's-seat attitude, I really do. BUT man-oh-man, these days there is so much frenetic activity in this forum indicating a way-over-the-top obsession with watching for incremental steps day-to-day.

Overall, for any applicant: if you were qualified when you applied, continue to be qualified, did a mostly good job filling out the application, and in particular you were honest, accurate, and responsively complete, with some leeway for minor mistakes, and you are actually living at the address you gave for your residential address, COME ON, RELAX, there is no reason to apprehend anything is going to go awry. Oh, sure, for some, a very small percentage, something will go awry. Stuff happens. And sure, some applicants do not have all that solid a case, and may have reasons for a little extra anxiety. In the meantime, YES, some of you will see others making their way through the process faster, perhaps a lot faster, then you are. This can be expected. This should be expected given that (I am quite sure) well more than a hundred thousand new applications have been submitted in the last six months. There is going to be widely varying differences in how things precisely go. There are going to be all sorts of vagaries and anomalies. BUT for the vast majority, once the application has been accepted, AOR issued, there is nothing more for the applicant to do but WAIT, respond to any correspondence or notices from IRCC, prepare for and show up to take the test. It may take only three months. For many it will take 4, 6, or 8 months. For more than a few it will be 8 to 12 months, or even a little more. Save on dentist bills and avoid gnashing your teeth in the meantime.
Thank you dpenabill for the detailed answer to my query.

Optimist22222

Dec 7, 2011
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 28, 2017
Called IRCC today. They checked my file and confirmed that yes finger prints are mentioned to be required and the file was sent to an officer at St. Clair IRCC for review but there is no action after that. What they advised me is that I should wait and do nothing.

Optimist22222

Dec 7, 2011
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 28, 2017
Ordered GCMS again on April 5 and received on May 1.
Comparing notes in my earlier report with new one:

GCMS Notes dated Feb 15, 2018:
Updated: 2018/02/16
Restricted: No
Label: Clearance/Crim
Office: St. Clair IRCC
Text: Referred to Officer for Review. IG/CEN-ON

GCMS Notes dated April 05, 2018:
Updated: 2018/02/22
Label: Clearance/Cim
Text: Upon review of fingerprint letter issuance noted. Email sent to IRCC Mississauga for review of concern prior to fingerprint letter issuance. IG/CEN-ON

All experienced members, please guide, what does this mean and what should I expect?
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
You only get fingerprint request if there is somebody in their system with a criminal record and the same/ similar name to yours.

It might be that it is just a similar name and they want to double check whether or not they require a fingerprint from you.

I agree with dpenabill: relax and wait. There is nothing you can do but wait.

Reactions: Optimist22222

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
You are just worrying for no reason. Just wait! No one really knows what IRCC agents are thinking or are familiar with the internal workflow to be able to explain why you have not yet received FP request or whether you should worry.

In my case, GCMS notes indicated they were talking about FP request in December and I did not get the official request until early February. It is quite common. Not everyone's application follows the same linear trajectory.

imm_leb_01

Apr 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 February 2013
AOR Received.
11 April 2013
Med's Request
25 April 2013
Med's Done....
8 May 2013
Interview........
RPRF Request june 18th
Passport Req..
26 February 2014
VISA ISSUED...
5 March 2014
LANDED..........
29 March 2014
Hello all!
My application is "In Process" since November 10, 2017. My other timeline can be seen in my signature.
I ordered GCMS on February 14, 2018 for me and my wife and received my GCMS notes by email on March 16, 2018.
While going through the GCMS notes of my wife, I came across the following entries:
Primary Office: Mississauga IRCC
Secondary Office: St. Clair IRCC
Criminality:

Status Updated: 2017/11/10
Type: Criminality Clearance

Sub Activities:
Type: CIT RCMP Screening
Due Date: 2018/01/24

Notes:
Updated: 2018/01/16

We have not been contacted by the IRCC to submit the fingerprints. There is no mention of any such correspondence in the "Outgoing correspondence" in the GCMS notes.

My understanding says that I should send a request through "Web Enquiry" to IRCC and tell them about the mention of fingerprints in the GCMS notes.

I will highly appreciate your guidance in this regard.

Thank you
I would like first of all for the seniors that always remind us not to order ATIP because it's useless to check this case for which the GCMS notes revealed very important detail

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Ordered GCMS again on April 5 and received on May 1.
Comparing notes in my earlier report with new one:

GCMS Notes dated Feb 15, 2018:
Updated: 2018/02/16

GCMS Notes dated April 05, 2018:
Updated: 2018/02/22
Label: Clearance/Cim
Text: Upon review of fingerprint letter issuance noted. Email sent to IRCC Mississauga for review of concern prior to fingerprint letter issuance. IG/CEN-ON

All experienced members, please guide, what does this mean and what should I expect?
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
"what does this mean and what should I expect?"

It means the same as before. You wait.

As others have said:

You are just worrying for no reason. Just wait!

By the way: there is no important detail revealed. There is no information revealed which you can use to change the outcome or accelerate the process.

Watch for communications or notices from IRCC. Respond accordingly. In the meantime, WAIT. Same as scores and scores and scores of other applicants who do not make unnecessary, useless ATIP requests.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Go do the fingerprints without the letter and have them sent to St Clair CIC.
That should get the ball rolling sooner than a 3-month-later-request letter......

Optimist22222

Dec 7, 2011
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 28, 2017
Thank you Stef.. _MK_, imm_leb_01, dpenabill, canvis2006 for your kind responses.

I don't disagree with your suggestion to wait and see but you would also agree that every applicant has unique circumstances. I needed to know what is going on in my file so that I can make some important decisions. The fact is that I am outside Canada due to an ongoing emergency to my parents and my return ticket is expiring on May 31, 2018. I left Canada in December 2018. Before leaving, I did my fingerprints done and left the sealed envelopes with my relatives in Canada if, just in case, they are needed ( I was told by the fingerprint agency that the fingerprints have a validity of one year).
Other than that, assessments of Knowledge, Residence, Language, Prohibitions still not started.
Criminality Check for my wife is in progress (My Criminality Check has already passed). As I said earlier my wife has been a home maker.

Thank you for your valuable thoughts.

Last edited:

ahass

Nov 6, 2013
Called IRCC today. They checked my file and confirmed that yes finger prints are mentioned to be required and the file was sent to an officer at St. Clair IRCC for review but there is no action after that. What they advised me is that I should wait and do nothing.
Hi Optimist22222, I just received my notes and have the same situation. The due date on my notes corresponding to "fingerprints required" is 19/02/2018 and it is now end of may, the only correspondence I received is an AOR back in November 2017. I'm wondering if you eventually got the fingerprint request from IRCC? Thanks!

Optimist22222

Dec 7, 2011
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 28, 2017
Hi Optimist22222, I just received my notes and have the same situation. The due date on my notes corresponding to "fingerprints required" is 19/02/2018 and it is now end of may, the only correspondence I received is an AOR back in November 2017. I'm wondering if you eventually got the fingerprint request from IRCC? Thanks!
My secondary office for fingerprints had sent a query to my primary office for clarification of an issue before issuing a fingerprints letter. I was called by my primary office recently and was told that they have sent the clarification email and I should expect the fingerprint letter any time.

ahass

Nov 6, 2013
My secondary office for fingerprints had sent a query to my primary office for clarification of an issue before issuing a fingerprints letter. I was called by my primary office recently and was told that they have sent the clarification email and I should expect the fingerprint letter any time.
How were you able to find out about the secondary office contacting the primary? I just called CIC, and they said that in February they were "considering" requesting fingerprints but there is no update after that and therefore they may/may not ask for them now. My primary office is Scarborough and secondary is St Clair.

Optimist22222

Dec 7, 2011
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 28, 2017
How were you able to find out about the secondary office contacting the primary? I just called CIC, and they said that in February they were "considering" requesting fingerprints but there is no update after that and therefore they may/may not ask for them now. My primary office is Scarborough and secondary is St Clair.
It was mentioned in my GCMS Note that : "Upon review of fingerprint letter issuance noted. Email sent to IRCC Mississauga for review of concern prior to fingerprint letter issuance".

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
. . . the only correspondence I received is an AOR back in November 2017
But . . .

we also got the CIT 0205, and are trying to gather all documents.
My application was delivered Oct 16th 2017 and went "in process" on December 6th 2017.
Application is NOT routine. Otherwise, however, the situation remains the same: WAIT. Watch for further correspondence, communication, or notice from IRCC. Respond accordingly. Prepare for test (unless test exempt).

I just received my notes and have the same situation. The due date on my notes corresponding to "fingerprints required" is 19/02/2018 and it is now end of may, the only correspondence I received is an AOR back in November 2017.
Again, the situation remains the same . . . even though you have a non-routine application.

That is: WAIT. Watch for further correspondence, communication, or notice from IRCC. Respond accordingly. Prepare for test (unless test exempt).

Really, waiting and watching is about all you can do at this stage. If and when there is an additional request for this or that, respond accordingly. It is NOT at all likely you can do anything to accelerate when IRCC will take its next action on your application.

Re Timeline Generally:

Notwithstanding numerous reports of relatively fast timelines, even if your application was entirely routine there is NO REASON to suspect anything is off-track, no reason to apprehend you could do anything to accelerate the timeline. The ROUTINE timeline is TYPICALLY two to three times as long as the timeline for the faster applications. And given the huge surge in applications since last September, there are signs that many applicants who applied under the C-6 3/5 rules may encounter timelines significantly longer than this.

Reminder re futility of ATIP request for GCMS notes:

The GCMS report obtained pursuant to a client ATIP request is virtually useless.

There are RARE (emphasis on RARE) occasions in which IRCC will, in some sense, have a file misplaced or an action hung-up (suspended) in the process. Happens, yes, IRCC is, after all, a bureaucracy. But it is at the very least highly unusual.

And, in the event it does happen, while intervention MIGHT (emphasis on MIGHT) trigger rectifying things, getting the application back into a standard processing track sooner than it otherwise would have, but usually the matter will be addressed, the application put back in a standard processing track, just as soon WITHOUT any intervention by the client/applicant.

That is, even in the highly unusual situation where a file is misplaced or an action on it hung-up, IRCC will usually (almost always) rectify it itself, without intervention, and the application will be back in a standard processing track with no need for the applicant to contact, let alone push IRCC.

Ultimately, unless there is an appropriate request for urgent processing and IRCC does expedite the processing, a client/applicant can rarely, almost NEVER, do much or anything which will accelerate how long IRCC takes . . . be that in routine processing or in the event of non-routine processing.

As has been noted, sure, some applicants have unique circumstances. Unfortunately, for most of those with unique circumstances, there is still little or nothing they can do to peek inside and get a better view of how things are going or how long they will take. And unique circumstances in and of themselves tend to elevate the risk of non-routine processing. (For example: being abroad for an extended period of time while the application is in process, no matter how compelling the reason, tends to significantly increase risks of non-routine processing and delays.)

NOTE: there are many things an applicant can do which will risk INCREASING how long things take.

Ranging from mistakes in the application to failure to timely respond to IRCC requests, missing scheduled events, or (depending on circumstances) even going abroad for an extended period of time, among other things, there are many ways in which an applicant can cause further non-routine processing and a longer timeline.

BUT there is very little, if anything, an applicant can do to make it go any faster. (Except urgent processing, when applicable.)