+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Help for a student to re-enter Canada in September

Sindhu Priya

Aug 17, 2022
My friend unexpectedly went to India as his father passed away. He is a student doing his second course started in May 2022. His study permit got extended until March 2023, but the visa didn't get stamped. On August 8th he went to India. Now, in order to return to Canada to continue his second semester, he needs TRV and visa stamping. He applied for TRV on the 12th of this month from India. As per IRCC processing time, it shows 160 days to get TRV approved from outside Canada. Is there any other way to request IRCC to process his application faster, as he must attend the college as it is delivered offline. If you have any Idea about this issue, please help us to get out of this, as it would impact on his studies and PR too as per the new IRCC rule.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My friend unexpectedly went to India as his father passed away. He is a student doing his second course started in May 2022. His study permit got extended until March 2023, but the visa didn't get stamped. On August 8th he went to India. Now, in order to return to Canada to continue his second semester, he needs TRV and visa stamping. He applied for TRV on the 12th of this month from India. As per IRCC processing time, it shows 160 days to get TRV approved from outside Canada. Is there any other way to request IRCC to process his application faster, as he must attend the college as it is delivered offline. If you have any Idea about this issue, please help us to get out of this, as it would impact on his studies and PR too as per the new IRCC rule.
So sorry for your friend. There is no way to expedite a TRV as everyone wants it faster. He will have to wait for processing, approval and stamping. He can ask for official deferral from program for the Fall Semester.

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
So sorry for your friend. There is no way to expedite a TRV as everyone wants it faster. He will have to wait for processing, approval and stamping. He can ask for official deferral from program for the Fall Semester.
Just being curious... would a deferral in this scenario affect the student chances for PGWP?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Just being curious... would a deferral in this scenario affect the student chances for PGWP?
Depends on what program. However, the person should get an official leave for the semester (deferral not right word) from the school. Now not having a TRV to enter country may not be seen as a valid reason to get official leave. And IRCC in reviewing a future PGWP application may not see not having a valid TRV as a reason to take leave even if there was a passing of a family member. The person needs to talk to the school ASAP and get official leave.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/eligibility.html#leave_from_studies

Reactions: Geet7

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
- There is no way to expedite the TRV application.
- If he has a valid US visa, he can fly to the US and then re-enter Canada through a land border.
- If he has no US visa, then he needs to wait for the TRV to be processed to re-enter.
- I'm not sure what you mean by "His study permit got extended until March 2023, but the visa didn't get stamped". The TRV is a separate application. He needed to apply for the TRV separately in order to be able to leave Canada and then return. The study permit extension doesn't allow him to do this.

rxtve

Star Member
May 20, 2022
- There is no way to expedite the TRV application.
- If he has a valid US visa, he can fly to the US and then re-enter Canada through a land border.
- If he has no US visa, then he needs to wait for the TRV to be processed to re-enter.
- I'm not sure what you mean by "His study permit got extended until March 2023, but the visa didn't get stamped". The TRV is a separate application. He needed to apply for the TRV separately in order to be able to leave Canada and then return. The study permit extension doesn't allow him to do this.
What do you mean by going to the US and re-entering Canada. How is that accepted?

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Tell your friend to try and get a US visa. The wait time for a US visa may be less than for Canada's TRV. Then try to enter through any of the land border points.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1308&top=22
https://students.ubc.ca/international-student-guide/immigration/temporary-resident-visa-trv
The issue on both these links is the exception. This person would be transitting through.

Exception
There’s only one exception to this. You may be able to re-enter Canada with an expired visitor visa (not an expired eTA) if:

• you only visit the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon and
  • you return to Canada before your study permit expires.
Travelling to the United States
You don’t need a valid TRV to re-enter Canada if you meet all of the following:

• Have a valid study permit or work permit, or hold valid visitor status in Canada
  • Leave Canada to visit only the United States
  • Return to Canada by the end of the authorized period of your stay in Canada

Reactions: student_2024

student_2024

Sep 22, 2022
The issue on both these links is the exception. This person would be transitting through.

Exception
There’s only one exception to this. You may be able to re-enter Canada with an expired visitor visa (not an expired eTA) if:

Travelling to the United States
You don’t need a valid TRV to re-enter Canada if you meet all of the following:

• Have a valid study permit or work permit, or hold valid visitor status in Canada
  • Leave Canada to visit only the United States
  • Return to Canada by the end of the authorized period of your stay in Canada
I am Indian student at UofT with extended study permit recently after my renewal of Indian passport. I have valid USA Visitor Visa stamped. My stamped student visa for Canada is expired with my old passport.
1) Can I travel to USA( land/air) without the visa stamp on passport?
2) What documents do i need at the port of entry for USA & back to Canada after a week?-

TIA- Kindly help!

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I am Indian student at UofT with extended study permit recently after my renewal of Indian passport. I have valid USA Visitor Visa stamped. My stamped student visa for Canada is expired with my old passport.
2) What documents do i need at the port of entry for USA & back to Canada after a week?-

TIA- Kindly help!
Exception: If you return directly from a visit only to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, you don’t need a valid visitor visa if your study or work permit is still valid.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

TIA- Kindly help!
Do you have a TRV?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Poster can re-enter Canada if arriving from the State provided SP is valid as exemption for expired TRV
But poster is transitting.

Exception

Reactions: Simba112 and scylla

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
But poster is transitting.

Exception

Ooh sorry i miss that, then poster need valid TRV to enter Canada.....