+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT: Extending PGWP (valid passport expiry date). CSQ holder, applied for PR

labamba

Jan 2, 2017
Hello,

I need urgent help - I couldn't find information here that matched my situation exactly, so I'm creating this post.

I finished my undergrad studies from Montreal in May 2015. I received my PGWP in Nov 2015 but it is only valid until August 2017 because my passport was expiring then. I was told that I can apply for an extension to get the full 3 years of PGWP I'm eligible for, once I renew my passport. I have renewed my passport.

In the mean time I have also received my CSQ through the PEQ class and applied for PR last week (have not received AOR yet). According to processing time timelines, my PGWP will expire before I receive my PR. As such, I want to apply to extend my PGWP to get the remaining 1 year.

I called CIC and they asked me to fill out IMM5710E and send a paper app to Vegreville, AB. In the application, they ask for a copy of my CAQ, but I don't have one since I already hold a CSQ and PGWP (currently residing in QC).

Has anybody else been in this situation?

I was wondering what I should do in this case - PGWP expiring but eligible for 1 year extension, CSQ holder and applied for PR, but NO CAQ.

Any help will be extremely appreciated. Thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

You can apply for the remaining time on your PGWP without a CAQ. Just submit the work permit extension app with a letter of explanation.

labamba

Jan 2, 2017
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

You can apply for the remaining time on your PGWP without a CAQ. Just submit the work permit extension app with a letter of explanation.
Thank you for your input. I just called CIC today and the agent was adamant that I will need a CAQ.

Were you in the same situation? Would you mind sharing your experience please?

RS77

Dec 12, 2016
hi labamba,
i am in the same situation like you..my PGWP going to expire in feb 2017..and have been applied for PR but my application is approved..just waiting for Passport to come back with visa stamp...right now..i don't have my passport with me so lets see how long it will take...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
labamba said:
Thank you for your input. I just called CIC today and the agent was adamant that I will need a CAQ.

Were you in the same situation? Would you mind sharing your experience please?
The IRCC Call Centre is staffed by poorly trained people who can barely answer the most basic questions.

Look at it this way: you didn't need a CAQ to initially apply for your PGWP. You aren't applying for a new work permit, you are simply applying for the remaining time on that same work permit, so you still don't need a CAQ.