+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent**Documents to prove meeting residency obligation**

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
Hi, I am travelling to my home country outside of Canada after meeting residency obligation(RO) and having spent 3+ years in Canada. However, just to be safe, I would like to carry few documents to prove that I met RO, upon my return to Canada. Few documents I plan to carry are :-

1. Utility bills
2. Property tax & residential mortgage document
3. Notice of assessment of last 3 years.

Can anybody please recommend if these would be considered and if I need to carry any specific document to prove I was physically present in Canada for last 3 years ?

Thanks !

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, I am travelling to my home country outside of Canada after meeting residency obligation(RO) and having spent 3+ years in Canada. However, just to be safe,
Can anybody please recommend if these would be considered and if I need to carry any specific document to prove I was physically present in Canada for last 3 years ?
For the most part, you don't really need to do this and for the most part they will see your entries (and recent exits, most likely).

If you have a LOT of absences esp long ones or some previous record of non-compliance, you might get more questions or longer examination. (You didn't mention how long trip to your home country - only relevant if they for some reason believe that you're not actually resident in Canada at all)

If you're still worried: carry a printed record of your travel in the last five years (or since becoming a PR). Other than that, any general evidence of residing in Canada (job, Canadian ID, family in Canada, etc) will basically be enough. Not that I think they request this but you could show photos from your phone.

Note: even if they REALLY doubt you're in compliance and decide you aren't, you would still have an appeal - and there is no expectation that you should have had all physical and documentary evidence in hand on arrival (not 'proving it' at border will not count against you).

But I repeat: this is getting way ahead of any actual problem and unless you have some very serious issue or history that you've left out, you're overthinking.

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
For the most part, you don't really need to do this and for the most part they will see your entries (and recent exits, most likely).

If you have a LOT of absences esp long ones or some previous record of non-compliance, you might get more questions or longer examination. (You didn't mention how long trip to your home country - only relevant if they for some reason believe that you're not actually resident in Canada at all)

If you're still worried: carry a printed record of your travel in the last five years (or since becoming a PR). Other than that, any general evidence of residing in Canada (job, Canadian ID, family in Canada, etc) will basically be enough. Not that I think they request this but you could show photos from your phone.

Note: even if they REALLY doubt you're in compliance and decide you aren't, you would still have an appeal - and there is no expectation that you should have had all physical and documentary evidence in hand on arrival (not 'proving it' at border will not count against you).

But I repeat: this is getting way ahead of any actual problem and unless you have some very serious issue or history that you've left out, you're overthinking.
Here's my situation- I finally moved to Canada almost 22 months after becoming PR but continued to live in Canada since then i.e close to 37 months. My current trip to India is for 4 weeks.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Here's my situation- I finally moved to Canada almost 22 months after becoming PR but continued to live in Canada since then i.e close to 37 months. My current trip to India is for 4 weeks.
You should not be worried. It sounds like you were never out of compliance with the RO and have a considerable buffer now (basically you shouldn't be out of compliance for two years).

When you're asked questions on returning, just respond truthfully, briefly - been in Canada for 3 yrs +, just went for a short visit home.

Heck, you will likely be submitting for PR card renewal and citizenship soon.

Reactions: Ponga

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Dumb question/comment: I assume OP has PR card that's still valid, and ideally with some extra months - only so that there is buffer in case delayed for some reason.

Reactions: Ponga

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dumb question/comment: I assume OP has PR card that's still valid, and ideally with some extra months - only so that there is buffer in case delayed for some reason.
Good point! It looks like the OP landed in June 2017, so the original PR card has probably expired recently (or will very soon).

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
What does "OP" mean?

Yes, both card renewal & citizenship is in process. My card is good till Nov 22, I can still travel&return with it, right?

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
Sorry, i thought to keep them separate as one for pr card and other one for documents. But ended up asking same question here too. Will keep in mind in future