+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[URGENT] Do Residency Days reset on PR card renewal?

vsol2021

Dec 15, 2021
Hey guys,

I renewed my PR card in 2021 and had around 900 days left before I renewed my card. My question is: Do the residency days reset now that I have my new PR card? So, the 730 days requirement is counted from 2021 to 2026? or Is it counted from today to last 5 years?

I was thinking of spending some time in India and then come back in November of this year but it if it's counted from today to last 5 years then I might not have 730 days exact in Canada in last 5 years.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to convey here. I know maybe my question is a little confusing.

Need some clarification here.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey guys,

I renewed my PR card in 2021 and had around 900 days left before I renewed my card. My question is: Do the residency days reset now that I have my new PR card? So, the 730 days requirement is counted from 2021 to 2026? or Is it counted from today to last 5 years?

I was thinking of spending some time in India and then come back in November of this year but it if it's counted from today to last 5 years then I might not have 730 days exact in Canada in last 5 years.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to convey here. I know maybe my question is a little confusing.

Thanks
It's a rolling residency requirement. So at any given time, you need to be able to look back at the previous five years and have spent at least 2 years in Canada.

vsol2021

Dec 15, 2021
It's a rolling residency requirement. So at any given time, you need to be able to look back at the previous five years and have spent at least 2 years in Canada.
Thanks for the quick reply scylla. So, is this requirement checked when we enter Canada or only at the time of PR card renewal? I mean if I come back in November but are short of 730 days will I be stopped at the border or lose my PR?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks for the quick reply scylla. So, is this requirement checked when we enter Canada or only at the time of PR card renewal? I mean if I come back in November but are short of 730 days will I be stopped at the border or lose my PR?
It's up to the CBSA officier to look at your RO at that point and decide to report you or not.

And yes. There is no "reset" with a new PR card. Your RO is a rolling 5 years.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hey guys,

Thanks

1/ No, it is rolling 5 year period, You would count back from todays date to see if you have 730 days, in the previous 5 years.

vsol2021

Dec 15, 2021
Hi

1/ No, it is rolling 5 year period, You would count back from todays date to see if you have 730 days, in the previous 5 years.
Yes, but I think it would only be checked while renewing my PR card not when I'm coming back to Canada with a valid PR card.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, but I think it would only be checked while renewing my PR card not when I'm coming back to Canada with a valid PR card.
This is incorrect. It can checked at any time of examination, of which entry into Canada is the most typical case.

So in fact you should assume that any time you present at a port of entry (any airport or border crossing), that IS an examination, and in most cases they will at least look at status and residency obligation - although for the latter they may not look in detail unless there's a flag or previous note that there's an issue.

Or put differently: with a valid PR card they may just glance at the screen and not calculate. But they might.

Reactions: YVR123