+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent course withdrawal will change status part time, will I loss study permit

student13

Oct 18, 2016
Hi,

I have a urgent question, currently I am taking 3 courses which is the minimum needed to remain full time student. According to new visa rules, international students have to be full time for their visa to remain valid. I am doing horribly in one of my courses and if dont drop I will probably get F. But that will change my course load to 2, hence part time. Last day to withdraw and get a W is Nov 07.

Should I withdraw near the end and will it revoke my visa or affect my future Post Graduate Work Permit application ? I really need more input/info on this :( :( :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need to be a full time student to work off campus. So if you drop the course, you'll need to stop working (if you're working).

Yes - it's possible that being a part time student could create complications for your PGWP. Generally we have found that if someone is part time for one semester, usually they can still get a PGWP. However if you are part time for 2 or more semesters, the PGWP is generally refused. So if you end up dropping the course, you need to make sure you are a full time student for the rest of your studies.

student13

Oct 18, 2016
Thank you for your reply. Currently I am not working and have been a full time student through out my semesters with exception of some summer semesters where I took only one course. If I drop the course it will only be by Nov when I am sure results wont improve, I am just worried if dont drop it the F will greatly reduce my CGPA which will affect my co-op program.

scylla said:
You need to be a full time student to work off campus. So if you drop the course, you'll need to stop working (if you're working).

Yes - it's possible that being a part time student could create complications for your PGWP. Generally we have found that if someone is part time for one semester, usually they can still get a PGWP. However if you are part time for 2 or more semesters, the PGWP is generally refused. So if you end up dropping the course, you need to make sure you are a full time student for the rest of your studies.

Nov 29, 2019
Hi,

I have a urgent question, currently I am taking 3 courses which is the minimum needed to remain full time student. According to new visa rules, international students have to be full time for their visa to remain valid. I am doing horribly in one of my courses and if dont drop I will probably get F. But that will change my course load to 2, hence part time. Last day to withdraw and get a W is Nov 07.

Should I withdraw near the end and will it revoke my visa or affect my future Post Graduate Work Permit application ? I really need more input/info on this :( :( :(
Hi did you get the work permit

@Kaur48

Sep 22, 2019
Hi,

Hi
Did you get PGWP??