+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Citizenship Question!

getmyccasap

Aug 1, 2018
I have a tech conference to attend on February 2019 in Australia.

Is there a chance I can get an urgent processing of my citizenship?

I will be applying in two days but I am wondering if it will be ready by then.

Reasons for going to the conference: I will network with other developers and get a job since I am a uni student.
I will show my ticket.

Is that a valid reason since it’s not a job interview but it will determine my future in a way since I will be learning new technologies and getting a professional advancement.

Please let me know. It’s a pain to travel with PR outside of the Schenegen countries.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I cannot specifically answer your question but when the immigration website refers to applying for a job as a reason to be considered for urgent processing I read that as being a specific job that requires someone to be a citizen which does not seem to be your case where there is no actual job let alone a requirement to be a citizen. You do not obviously need to be a citizen to learn new technologies or pursue professional advancement.

If were that easy everyone would be looking to apply for urgent processing.

By all means nothing to stop you getting your application in and trying the urgent route but odds do not seem great for success so if were me I would go with plan B in parallel and apply for an Australian visa as well.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html.

Last edited:
Reactions: getmyccasap

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Well, it's probably not that difficult to get a visa for your conference...
Give it a shot if you want, you may get lucky.
Also, people sometimes get their citizenship in 6 months or less under normal processing (including myself) and it could definitely happen to you too, but you should in all cases plan your work travel with the assumption that you will NOT be a canadian citizen by then.
Also, whether you get processed urgently or not, once you get your AOR, let IRCC know by phone or webform about your travel, you don't want to skip a test or an oath invite because you're down under.

fsarosh

Aug 9, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Year 2010
Med's Request
28-04-2013
Med's Done....
15-05-2013
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-2013
LANDED..........
22-01-2014
I would suggest to send your case. At this stage, dont tell them about your travel plans and let them process your application as per their normal procedure. May be you will be successful in atleast sitting in the test till then. Let them know in or around December about your travel plans and they will adjust your test or oath (whatever the stage will be) as per your plans.

getmyccasap

Aug 1, 2018
Thank you everyone for giving me such detailed replies. I guess there is no point but I will try telling them in December about my travel plans which seems a great idea.
Thanks once again.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you everyone for giving me such detailed replies. I guess there is no point but I will try telling them in December about my travel plans which seems a great idea.
Thanks once again.
Off topic - why would it be pain to travel to Australia with PR? I thought I need visa to visit there even though I have Canadian passport.

getmyccasap

Aug 1, 2018
Off topic - why would it be pain to travel to Australia with PR? I thought I need visa to visit there even though I have Canadian passport.
I just thought it's better to travel with Citizenship since you can also have a FAST and NEXUS card with them which will make travelling and waiting in lines faster.

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
It would probably be "better" to travel abroad with a Canadian passport, but I don't think that is grounds for urgent processing.
They are quite specific regarding what would qualify an application for urgent processing (linked above).

Make sure to let them know of travel plans to avoid them scheduling your test or oath around that time, apply for the Australian visa (if you need it), and cross your fingers :)

Good luck!

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
I don't think it is painful to travel to Australia with PR; but Canadian passport holder do NOT need a visa to visit Australia. ETA is not a visa. It is exactly same thing that US and Canada requires people from visa waiver countries do.

Quink

Oct 28, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
AOR Received.
30-04-2015 (EP and UCI)
Med's Request
07-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-05-2015 (ECAS updated 20-05-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
IP update 26-8-2015, DM 14-9-2015, READY FOR VISA EMAIL 21-9-2015
LANDED..........
30-09-2015 (PR Card received 13-01-2016)
I just thought it's better to travel with Citizenship since you can also have a FAST and NEXUS card with them which will make travelling and waiting in lines faster.
FAST and NEXUS won't get you into Australia any quicker - those are US based programs (they will help you get out of Canada slightly quicker though by skipping ahead in the security line). Depending on where your current passport is from you might need to arrange a visa in advance for Australia. A Canadian passport will allow you to use the self processing Smart Gates in Australia which might save you some time (here's a list of all passport holders that are eligible: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/ente/goin/arrival/smartgateor-epassport), but getting into Australia isn't exceptionally difficult in most cases with the appropriate visas in hand.

That said, your argument for urgent processing of your Canadian Citizenship is basically that you'd like to be able to save 15 minutes when you enter Australia next year. That's probably not going to qualify you unfortunately.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's really not that much faster - many times no faster at all. It used to be a lot faster like 7-8 years ago when there were fewer people enrolled - but now they've let too many people in and that's slowed things down. Nexus lines at airports are now full of people who seem to have no clue how to go through a security check or what they need to pull out of their backpacks. It's like it's their first time flying. Drives me insane. I want the old days back. :)

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
It's really not that much faster - many times no faster at all. It used to be a lot faster like 7-8 years ago when there were fewer people enrolled - but now they've let too many people in and that's slowed things down. Nexus lines at airports are now full of people who seem to have no clue how to go through a security check or what they need to pull out of their backpacks. It's like it's their first time flying. Drives me insane. I want the old days back. :)
Totally of topic but I generally want a line at airports that is labelled "people who have flown before and have their sh*t together and promise to be goddamn ready to put their stuff in the box when its their turn". Like I sometimes wait for the ppl in front of me to take 3 minutes each for something I need 20 seconds to do.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Totally of topic but I generally want a line at airports that is labelled "people who have flown before and have their sh*t together and promise to be goddamn ready to put their stuff in the box when its their turn". Like I sometimes wait for the ppl in front of me to take 3 minutes each for something I need 20 seconds to do.
THIS. Yes.

Reactions: spyfy

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Well said. I heard people ask for urgent processing by showing ARMY website "you have to be a canadian citizen to apply for forces. " lol. They want urgent processing because they want to apply for ARMY. I think CIC should create a pool when someone request for urgent processing without any valid ground and set their processing time 2 yrs. Then they will get less of those requests.
The "wanting to join the forces" excuse is too easy to make to get urgent request when they can just as easily change their mind to join after obtaining citizenship. This excuse won't work with IRCC.