+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT - Applying for an EXTENSION of CURRENT OWP

jetrel

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Hi all,

Posting again as it's hard to find answers. So many webforms and forum posts and none of them are quite relevant to me. Here's the facts.

I am the principal applicant of a spousal application. I have a current Open Work Permit, but it expires in May as it is tied to my old passport - I wasn't issued it to the full validity (2 years)

I received a new passport yesterday, and would now like to file for an extension of this OWP (so I get the full validity, not the shortened one due to old passport.)

How do I do this? There's a questionnaire online that supposedly links to the app, but it's asking for my medical? I didn't have to have a medical when I got the OWP in the first place. I do have a medical, but it's held up right now as I need further tests.

The questionnaire also asks if I'm going to be living in Canada permanently or temporarily. Well...the answer is both? I'm a PR applicant, but applying for an OWP extension...so temporarily?

Any advice would be appreciated.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

Posting again as it's hard to find answers. So many webforms and forum posts and none of them are quite relevant to me. Here's the facts.

I am the principal applicant of a spousal application. I have a current Open Work Permit, but it expires in May as it is tied to my old passport - I wasn't issued it to the full validity (2 years)

I received a new passport yesterday, and would now like to file for an extension of this OWP (so I get the full validity, not the shortened one due to old passport.)

How do I do this? There's a questionnaire online that supposedly links to the app, but it's asking for my medical? I didn't have to have a medical when I got the OWP in the first place. I do have a medical, but it's held up right now as I need further tests.

The questionnaire also asks if I'm going to be living in Canada permanently or temporarily. Well...the answer is both? I'm a PR applicant, but applying for an OWP extension...so temporarily?

Say no to the medical question and the answer for the stay is temporary.

jetrel

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Say no to the medical question and the answer for the stay is temporary.
Thank you!

Follow up: For the question: What is your current immigration status in Canada?, would the answer be "Worker" or "Temporary Resident Permit Holder"?

I'm thinking an OWP isn't quite the same as a Temporary Resident Permit, but could it be? I'm guessing I should select Worker.

Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you!

Follow up: For the question: What is your current immigration status in Canada?, would the answer be "Worker" or "Temporary Resident Permit Holder"?

I'm thinking an OWP isn't quite the same as a Temporary Resident Permit, but could it be? I'm guessing I should select Worker.

Thank you!
Worker. TRPs are special permits for inadmissible people.

jetrel

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Worker. TRPs are special permits for inadmissible people.
Quick follow-up question for ya: It seems I have to do another Declaration of Common Law for my renewal. I'm assuming it's acceptable to put the dates of the relationship up to today's date, or should I put the dates what I did originally? (like, 8 months ago?)

Probably a dumb question but I want to be sure. Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Quick follow-up question for ya: It seems I have to do another Declaration of Common Law for my renewal. I'm assuming it's acceptable to put the dates of the relationship up to today's date, or should I put the dates what I did originally? (like, 8 months ago?)

Probably a dumb question but I want to be sure. Thanks!
You can put today's date.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Final question, I promise. I understand biometrics are now available in Canada. Will I have to get these done for an OWP extension? The questionnaire is asking me.
If you've never given biometrics before for any type of temporary residency app, I believe you will have to.

Tina461

Nov 27, 2017
Hi all,

Hello,

I am extending my open work permit as well. I am just not sure how to answer question 3. in IMM5710: I am applying for one or more of the following:
Apply for a work permit with the same employer
Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer
Restore my status as worker
Get a new temporary resident permit

I would appreciate if I could get any answer.

Reactions: Mahbanoo

jetrel

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Hello,

I am extending my open work permit as well. I am just not sure how to answer question 3. in IMM5710: I am applying for one or more of the following:

Yeah, I'm stuck on this one too. Will update if I can find an answer. (I think it's the 2nd one, but not sure)

Reactions: Mahbanoo

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

First time or new employer.

jetrel

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
First time or new employer.
Thanks for all your help in this!

Another question - I have to fill out IMM5707 (Family Information) for my renewal, but on my initial app I had to fill out IMM5406. Pretty much the same form more or less. However when I googled 5707, it seems to be associated with TRV applicants. Have I done something wrong for them to require this form?

EDIT: Never mind. Seems to be different for online applications. I'll leave this question up for others.