+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT!! Anyone already have FP on file but got requested by CIC?

vtech04

Mar 27, 2015
Hi, I applied my citizenship in July 2014 and it was transferred to Scarborough Office in October 2014.
I got a mail for FP request today. (March 27, 2015)
It says "After reviewing the biographical information on your application from, there are questions in your case with regard to section 21 and/or 22 of the Citizenship Act".

I'm really worried because I got caught with minor shoplift 3 years ago and therefore I had to take fingerprints. I was young and it was first time so I did exactly what the police officer told me to do. I had to go to court but they said no criminal record for sure. They told me "it is nothing to worry about". I just had to write a report about what I did, what I've learn, etc and I had to pay $20 for donation. They also gave me a fingerprint destruction form I can send after 6 months to police. I sent the FP destruction form about a year after. I have received that my destruction request was further forwarded to RCMP with their (police) recommendation to destroy my FP and related record of disposition. It says it approximately take 12 months from date of the letter which would be July 14, 2015. Since it is March, I still have about 4 months till the destruction process is finished.
The FP request from CIC says to take FP within 30 days, so I can't really wait till the destruction is done.

I know I made a horrible mistake of shoplifting but that was my first and last time.
I didn't to anything illegal and I have no criminal record.
I thought my destruction would be done about a time my application is being reviewed:(
I'm just worried if it's gonna affect my application because my FP is already there even if no criminal record :(
Anyone has insight on this?

DAN11

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
vtech04 said:
Hi, I applied my citizenship in July 2014 and it was transferred to Scarborough Office in October 2014.
It says "After reviewing the biographical information on your application from, there are questions in your case with regard to section 21 and/or 22 of the Citizenship Act".

I'm really worried because I got caught with minor shoplift 3 years ago and therefore I had to take fingerprints. I was young and it was first time so I did exactly what the police officer told me to do. I had to go to court but they said no criminal record for sure. They told me "it is nothing to worry about". I just had to write a report about what I did, what I've learn, etc and I had to pay $20 for donation. They also gave me a fingerprint destruction form I can send after 6 months to police. I sent the FP destruction form about a year after. I have received that my destruction request was further forwarded to RCMP with their (police) recommendation to destroy my FP and related record of disposition. It says it approximately take 12 months from date of the letter which would be July 14, 2015. Since it is March, I still have about 4 months till the destruction process is finished.
The FP request from CIC says to take FP within 30 days, so I can't really wait till the destruction is done.

I know I made a horrible mistake of shoplifting but that was my first and last time.
I thought my destruction would be done about a time my application is being reviewed:(
I'm just worried if it's gonna affect my application because my FP is already there even if no criminal record :(
RCMP I think works much faster than that, why Why not call them (RCMP) up or visit a local police station to discuss it to get a full understanding. (Who knows it might already been processed). Explain your situation to them. If you were acquitted then you should not have anything to worry about.

poushi24

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
vtech04 said:

If you haven't done anything after the incident then don't worry. I had my fingerprints taken by police for stupid mistake and court dismissed it on condition of taking some classes. I also got request from CIC to submit my FP and I did that. For RCMP when there is record for FP it takes 3 months for them to process CIC FP check. If no record it takes 72 hours. I never requested destruction my FP and my RCMP check might came back good because I got test invite. So don't worry you will be fine. And minor shoplifting is not a criminal acts for denial of citizenship, it is a demeanor charge.

vtech04

Mar 27, 2015
DAN11 said:
RCMP I think works much faster than that, why Why not call them (RCMP) up or visit a local police station to discuss it to get a full understanding. (Who knows it might already been processed). Explain your situation to them. If you were acquitted then you should not have anything to worry about.
It contacted a local police before and they said it usually take really long time so I just need to wait :(
but thanks anyways!

vtech04

Mar 27, 2015
poushi24 said:
If you haven't done anything after the incident then don't worry. I had my fingerprints taken by police for stupid mistake and court dismissed it on condition of taking some classes. I also got request from CIC to submit my FP and I did that. For RCMP when there is record for FP it takes 3 months for them to process CIC FP check. If no record it takes 72 hours. I never requested destruction my FP and my RCMP check might came back good because I got test invite. So don't worry you will be fine. And minor shoplifting is not a criminal acts for denial of citizenship, it is a demeanor charge.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I feel relief now.
How long did it take to get test invite after FP submission?

adamkia

Mar 23, 2015
I exactly have the same condition. My shoplifting case withdrawn 3 month ago (after I applied for the citizenship) and no I am requested FP. I am concerned. Any experience?

Thanks,

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
adamkia said:
I exactly have the same condition. My shoplifting case withdrawn 3 month ago (after I applied for the citizenship) and no I am requested FP. I am concerned. Any experience?

Thanks,
There are many details which matter, which can make a difference.

You say that the case was withdrawn after applying for citizenship . . . . question is when the charge happened; was the charge itself before or after making the citizenship application? If charged before applying, did you properly respond to the prohibitions questions in the application?

If the charge itself took place after you applied for citizenship, and it has been formally withdrawn, and thus is as if never charged, all should be well . . . but there could be some technical complications.

In the meantime, CIC's background checking identified the charge and CIC is mandated to make sufficient inquiry regarding that to make sure the applicant is not subject to a prohibition, thus the FP request, resulting in some delay in processing perhaps but it should not be too long.

If the charge itself took place prior to making the application, that would be more complicated.

It would be interesting to see a report from vtech04 as to how things have gone.

adamkia

Mar 23, 2015
Thank you very much my friend. My shoplifting case happened 5 days after submitting of my application. Went to the court and through diversion, my charge withdrawn. I was told there would no be any criminal on my background.

Now I am scared, why CIC asked for FP when no charge is in my background?

Do I have any criminal notes in the letter from RCMP? After 120 days, How long more it takes that my application be processed? Is there a chance of rejection?

Thank you very very much

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
adamkia said:
Thank you very much my friend. My shoplifting case happened 5 days after submitting of my application. Went to the court and through diversion, my charge withdrawn. I was told there would no be any criminal on my background.

Now I am scared, why CIC asked for FP when no charge is in my background?

Do I have any criminal notes in the letter from RCMP? After 120 days, How long more it takes that my application be processed? Is there a chance of rejection?

Thank you very very much
There is a record of the charge. When someone says there is "no criminal record" that usually means there are no criminal convictions. The record of the charge was undoubtedly identified in the course of the RCMP background check, although it could also be a hit in the GCMS check as well. So CIC has to examine and assess this. That in itself does not mean it is a problem.

vtech04 appears to refer to a process to have the record of the charge itself expunged, so not even that would show in a routine name-records check . . . but RCMP would still have a record of it even then, just not one which would ordinarily be disclosed in response to a routine criminal records check . . . but probably disclosed, nonetheless, to a CIC referral for a RCMP clearance. (I do not know the precise information sharing rules or practices.)

Sounds like it should be no big deal. That said, the precise terms of the "diversion" may matter . . . I do not know the Canadian criminal justice system that well, and particularly am not familiar with its diversion policies and practices. If, however, the alleged offence is totally discharged as of now, it should NOT cause any problems . . . again, perhaps a bit of a delay but not a significant problem.

You could take your paperwork to a citizenship and immigration lawyer for a consultation and get a real opinion about your specific situation (no one here, including me, can legitimately give you a reliable opinion about your case specifically).

I would caution, though, if the diversion itself did not result in the charge being conclusively dismissed but provided that the charge will be dismissed at the conclusion of successfully completing the terms of the diversion, it is important that that happened, that the terms were successfully completed and the formal dismissal has taken place. . . . otherwise the charge might be still, technically, pending. I do not know precisely how CIC approaches these situations. I do know that many applicants have been confused about when a conditional discharge actually constitutes a discharge. But then you get into whether the offence is a summary offence or possibly an indictable offence . . . bottom-line . . .

Bottom-line: If you know that as of now the offence is formally discharged, not to-be-discharged-upon-successful-completion-of-diversion, then most likely NO reason to worry.

If you are not sure, for $300-500 you should be able to take your paperwork to a citizenship and immigration lawyer and get a reasonably reliable opinion.

vtech04

Mar 27, 2015
adamkia said:

Thanks,
Hi friend,
Just wanted to give an update!
So I did get FP sent to CIC as they requested and it seemed like if there is no criminal record shown with the matching FP, RCMP sends info to CIC in 2 weeks. (My FP record is already there bcus of the shoplifting but since there is NO CRIMiNAL RECORD, it was fine)
If there is criminal record, it takes more than 3 month for RCMP to send info to CIC.
(CIC requires to get FP & criminal record info in a month)
Anyways, I got my test dates about 2 months later and also got the oath date last week.
After the test there was a short interview but the person who was checking my documents didn't really ask about FP or anything related to it.
I hope my case helped u! Good luck!

adamkia

Mar 23, 2015
vtech04 said:
Hi friend,
Just wanted to give an update!
So I did get FP sent to CIC as they requested and it seemed like if there is no criminal record shown with the matching FP, RCMP sends info to CIC in 2 weeks. (My FP record is already there bcus of the shoplifting but since there is NO CRIMiNAL RECORD, it was fine)
If there is criminal record, it takes more than 3 month for RCMP to send info to CIC.
(CIC requires to get FP & criminal record info in a month)
Anyways, I got my test dates about 2 months later and also got the oath date last week.
After the test there was a short interview but the person who was checking my documents didn't really ask about FP or anything related to it.
I hope my case helped u! Good luck!
Thanks Vtech04 for the update, I am exactly in the same boat. As I already mentioned, I was charged because of shoplifting, However my case withdrawn at the court through diversion program. (By just writing a letter to say how I am sorry). So there is no any conviction and consequently criminal record.

However, I am requested by CIC to provide my FP and I did last week. y first question is that how long it takes to RCMP to send FP to CIC? The reason I am asking is that I know if there is no any criminal record, it would be fast, however, for my case that there is no any conviction, how might it take? How long your FP takes time to be received by CIC?

Also, How long your citizenship takes time?

Thank you very much

vtech04

Mar 27, 2015
adamkia said:
Thanks Vtech04 for the update, I am exactly in the same boat. As I already mentioned, I was charged because of shoplifting, However my case withdrawn at the court through diversion program. (By just writing a letter to say how I am sorry). So there is no any conviction and consequently criminal record.

However, I am requested by CIC to provide my FP and I did last week. y first question is that how long it takes to RCMP to send FP to CIC? The reason I am asking is that I know if there is no any criminal record, it would be fast, however, for my case that there is no any conviction, how might it take? How long your FP takes time to be received by CIC?

Also, How long your citizenship takes time?

Thank you very much
Yeah I had to write a letter and pay $20 donation fee as well at the court.
I honestly don't know how long RCMP took to send my FP to CIC but as I mentioned before, it would take about 2 or even 3 weeks if there is no criminal record. (I asked the guy who took my FP)
If there is a criminal record then it take few months, which automatically kinda makes a problem since CIC wants the FP within a month from when the letter was sent.
It really sucks because it doesn't get updated on online CIC application status if CIC got the FP or not.
I got the test date letter after about 2 months later.
I applied my citizenship in July 2014 and my oath ceremony is coming soon.
The whole process took me a year which isn't so bad.
Our situation is exactly the same so I believe you will be fine too!
Don't worry and good luck!