+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent advise needed - Father medical treatment

mitesh8746

May 17, 2017
Hello Guys,

I am looking for urgent assistance, please. My father is suffering from cancer and I would like to know if being a Canadian citizen can I call my parents here in Canada for treatment. Is there any special visa or under any category I can apply for?

Cancer treatment is expensive back in India and now insurance companies are not covering chemo therapy. Hope my question makes sense.

Thank you in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Guys,

I am looking for urgent assistance, please. My father is suffering from cancer and I would like to know if being a Canadian citizen can I call my parents here in Canada for treatment. Is there any special visa or under any category I can apply for?

Cancer treatment is expensive back in India and now insurance companies are not covering chemo therapy. Hope my question makes sense.

Thank you in advance
I'm very sorry to hear about your father.

Unfortunately there is no specific visa for these circumstances.

Your father would need to apply for a regular TRV if he wishes to visit Canada. In terms of getting cancer treatment here, it will likely be even more expensive than India. He will not be covered by provincial health care and private insurance will not cover pre-existing conditions. So you would need to pay for all of the costs for his treatement out of pocket yourself. Hospitals will almost certainly expect up front payments from you. Also, since he is only in Canada as a visitor, he may have trouble finding a hospital to accept him as a patient since Canadian residents are prioritized.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Guys,

Thank you in advance
I’m sorry to hear about your father’s cancer. Your best option is for your father to remain in India for treatment. If anyone suggests that he could come to Canada and get access to care for free or apply for PR based on H&C that is very unlikely to happen or be approved. Even if he attempted to apply he would delay treatment which is not a good idea. Individuals with provincial healthcare are prioritized in the Canadian healthcare system. Some hospitals refuse foreign national patients except emergency situations where immediate treatment, like a heart attack, is time sensitive. If in Canada as a foreign national and you need access to healthcare you will be expected to pay back the healthcare you used even if you may be able to arrange a payment plan after typically a significant upfront payment. In the case of an emergency once stabilized or Monday morning if you came to the hospital on the weekend the billing department will come to see someone without provincial healthcare to make payment arrangements. The cost of cancer treatment in Canada could be over 1 million dollars in Canada. Your father also was not in Canada, especially for an extended time, when he discovered he had cancer, he lives in a country where there is a medical system where he can access care, etc.

Healthcare in Canada may appear free because many parts of healthcare in Canada do not involve direct payment but it is not. We pay significant amounts of tax to be able to go to the hospital or doctor’s appointment and only have to present your health card.