+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent advice needed.

tashford

May 20, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was wondering whether anybody could help me,

I moved to Canada 19 years ago from Algeria. I would like to know whether I am still an Algerian citizen or am i allowed to be. Obviously I'm am a Canadian citizen, as I have been here for nearly 20 years but would like to know if I am still an Algerian Citizen. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you in advance.

uzas

Nov 2, 2010
Hi, it's not obvious that you are a Canadian citizen only based on the fact that you have lived in Canada. Have you been granted Canadian citizenship?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algerian_nationality_law Algeria does not permit dual citizenship so you should have lost your citizenship there when you were granted Canadian citizenship. However, Algeria may not be keeping tabs on things and may not realize that you became a Canadian citizen in which case it would have been up to you to let them know. If they don't know, they might still have you listed as a citizen.

FL1040

Dec 30, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algerian_nationality_law Algeria does not permit dual citizenship so you should have lost your citizenship there when you were granted Canadian citizenship. However, Algeria may not be keeping tabs on things and may not realize that you became a Canadian citizen in which case it would have been up to you to let them know. If they don't know, they might still have you listed as a citizen.
Some countries will not renew your passport at the consulate until you prove you have not acquired another citizenship, so if tashford has renewed his Algerian passport recently they must have overlooked that element. Germany, for instance, requires the PR card valid as a proof, if you don't have it, or prove through a current document that you are still a PR they assume that you took a second citizenship and will not renew the passport, I think CIC issues a current document stating your immigration status, Germany allows dual citizenship but one must first ask for permission to Germany to acquire the second citizenship

Pureminded

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are still an Algerian citizen unless you applied to renounce Algerian citizenship.

Many Algerians who hold foreign nationalities enter Algeria with a foreign passport+Algerian ID card and it's totally fine.

Waqaraslam143

Jun 25, 2015
Hello.....i have Applied under FSW 2014 ...our application is in london visa office....now we have a baby born....i want to inform my london visa office to update My application according to my new family status.....plz tell me the the exect email address of canada visa office in london....

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tashford said:
I was wondering whether anybody could help me,

I moved to Canada 19 years ago from Algeria. I would like to know whether I am still an Algerian citizen or am i allowed to be. Obviously I'm am a Canadian citizen, as I have been here for nearly 20 years but would like to know if I am still an Algerian Citizen. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you in advance.
Looking at the Algerian nationality law, it appears that you are still considered an Algerian citizen unless you have been "allowed by decree to renounce...Algerian nationality." Whether being "allowed by decree" is easy or difficult I do not know.

Dual citizenship is not recognized, but that simply means that Algeria will not recognize you as a Canadian, but only as an Algerian.