Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-10-2018
Med's Done....
13-11-2018
Hi All,

I am in a dire situation. My COPR is expiring in Dec 2020. I could not travel earlier due to Covid situation. Now I am getting married by the end of this month (Oct,2020).
I am in a dilemma to whether raise a webform now and inform IRCC of my upcoming marriage or should I inform them once I get married? Also, should I inform them the reasons why could I not travel earlier before as well as when I can travel again?

Any lead on this would be extremely helpful.
Given the COVID-related circumstances, it is best to get married now and add your spouse to the application. The sponsorship route is extremely tedious. I agree adding spouse will lead to additional delays (my case in point) but atleast you get to land together and plan ahead accordingly.

The advantage (if you consider it) of adding spouse now is that there is no re-calculation of points since you have already submitted the application. Only medical, criminality, and security is checked for spouse.

I understand the frustration of the delay but I would prefer that rather than wait for sponsoring your spouse from Canada. As you are a new immigrant, it will take time before you can file for a sponsorship application too.

All the best!

zombiebombay

Jul 22, 2020
Mumbai
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mumbai
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
18-09-2019
AOR Received.
06-10-2019
Passport Req..
04-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2020
I am also in the same situation.

However my COPR has expired. So I am not sure if they will entertain my request on priority.
Folks here can join a Telegram Group I created for this purpose.

Pre-Covid in Normal era, yes "interrupting" the PR and adding spouse by way of Change in Marital Status, did take 4 to 6 months.
And Spouse Sponsorship easily took 12 to 15 months going by anecdotal evidence, and being pen and paper process on top of other things!
In any case, Sponsorship is a nightmare, further compounded by no tourist visa available; meaning years of long distance relationship!
For arranged marriages in India, it could be disastrous!

daveishan

Oct 13, 2018
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-10-2018
Med's Done....
13-11-2018
I am also in the same situation.

However my COPR has expired. So I am not sure if they will entertain my request on priority.
Folks here can join a Telegram Group I created for this purpose.

Pre-Covid in Normal era, yes "interrupting" the PR and adding spouse by way of Change in Marital Status, did take 4 to 6 months.
And Spouse Sponsorship easily took 12 to 15 months going by anecdotal evidence, and being pen and paper process on top of other things!
In any case, Sponsorship is a nightmare, further compounded by no tourist visa available; meaning years of long distance relationship!
For arranged marriages in India, it could be disastrous!
I suggest go ahead and get married; i understand there would be delays but atleast land together and plan ahead rather than live apart

zombiebombay

Jul 22, 2020
Mumbai
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mumbai
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
18-09-2019
AOR Received.
06-10-2019
Passport Req..
04-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2020
I am hesitant to add, because my COPR has expired.
As we know how well they are treating expired COPR files.... no SOPs to follow, whims and fancies of the Agents!
Further it is unclear which VO is handling my case, but it seems Canada rather than India.

If somebody can give concrete confirmation that they added a spouse AFTER THEIR COPR EXPIRED, I can consult and then follow.
On my Telegram Group we are approaching consultants and lawyers as well.

In hindsight feel that should have travelled before expiry, but flights were not available in the effort I put, plus Soft Landing rules were scary (PR Card is the clincher - only now it is coming in 3 weeks - in August it was taking 5 weeks or more I heard.) so had to delay plans.

HarisAli

Aug 29, 2019
Hi All, I informed IRCC through Webform about update in my marital status last week. I got a response today which is below:

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

The Government of Canada is closely monitoring COVID-19 and its impact on IRCC clients.

Until further notice, most people cannot travel to Canada, even if they have a valid visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA).

You can travel to Canada or be permitted to enter Canada if you are:

If you're an extended family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident or seeking exemption on compassionate grounds:

· You need to get an authorization letter and a statutory declaration to be able to enter Canada,

o the steps to follow to get those documents are available on our website,

· You should not make any travel plans until you have all the required documents and necessary authorizations to qualify to come to Canada.

In any case, if you're travelling by air, you need to:

Travellers entering Canada by air or by land will need to provide basic information using the traveller contact information form, available through the ArriveCAN mobile app, an accessible web-based form or a paper form.

When you arrive in Canada we'll assess your health before you leave the port of entry. If you're a foreign national, and you have symptoms of COVID-19, you won't be allowed to enter Canada.

You must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This is mandatory, even if you have no symptoms. If you don't have a plan, you should not travel to Canada as you may not be allowed to enter the country.

We understand that these measures will affect several IRCC clients. Please be assured that we continue to closely monitor the situation and provide you with the most current information as the situation evolves.

For more information on the situation and to receive up-to-date information, we invite you to consult the How the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is affecting immigration, refugees, citizenship and passport services page, where you will also find answers to your most common questions about travel restrictions and exemptions.

Furthermore, if you are the principal applicant of a permanent residence application already in process, you could add your spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children to your application, even if they were listed as a non-accompanying dependant in the initial application.

To do so, we invite you to send your add-on request through the IRCC webform available on our website. You can attach the following forms and documents in the field reserved to that effect:

Useful tips

• If you need information to fill out the forms, please consult the Fill out the forms section of the instruction guide found in the application kit that you have initially used to apply.
  • If the newly eligible family member is a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child who is already a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, only a copy of the birth certificate, marriage certificate or proof of common-law relationship and a letter of explanation are required.
  • It may be impossible to add a member of your family to the application if a final decision has already been made.
We hope you will find this information helpful.

Your add-on request will be evaluated by the responsible office. You will be contacted when a decision will be made or if further information is required.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you with any immigration, refugee and/or citizenship future requests:

Sincerely,

This is the response I got in email today. The highlighted part in red is what concerns me the most. It says if the Final decision have been made, it may be impossible to add a dependent. Can someone please help me out? I am extremely concerned. Thanks!

CANaspirant90

Nov 7, 2020
I am hesitant to add, because my COPR has expired.
As we know how well they are treating expired COPR files.... no SOPs to follow, whims and fancies of the Agents!
Further it is unclear which VO is handling my case, but it seems Canada rather than India.

If somebody can give concrete confirmation that they added a spouse AFTER THEIR COPR EXPIRED, I can consult and then follow.
On my Telegram Group we are approaching consultants and lawyers as well.

In hindsight feel that should have travelled before expiry, but flights were not available in the effort I put, plus Soft Landing rules were scary (PR Card is the clincher - only now it is coming in 3 weeks - in August it was taking 5 weeks or more I heard.) so had to delay plans.
Hey .. did you manage to make a decision ? . I might be in the same boat soon. Also, are you sure that PR cards are being processed in 3 weeks ? - I read elsewhere that these are continuing to take an average 132 odd days to process.

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
Is it possible to get married after COPR expiry (where the person was unable to land due to pandemic) and now wants to get married and add spouse to the existing PR Application?
OR is this not acceptable as the COPR has expired?

daveishan

Oct 13, 2018
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-10-2018
Med's Done....
13-11-2018
Is it possible to get married after COPR expiry (where the person was unable to land due to pandemic) and now wants to get married and add spouse to the existing PR Application?
OR is this not acceptable as the COPR has expired?
In ur situation, because you have not landed, you will need to add your spouse to the application and only land after both you have been issued a COPR. Your spouse's medical, security, and criminality will have to be passed by IRCC. There will not be recalculation of points, but timelines are very unclear now.

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
In ur situation, because you have not landed, you will need to add your spouse to the application and only land after both you have been issued a COPR. Your spouse's medical, security, and criminality will have to be passed by IRCC. There will not be recalculation of points, but timelines are very unclear now.
Thank you for your reply and I get that.
But is getting married AFTER COPR expiry AND Adding as a dependent acceptable? During pre-Covid times, the COPR expiry for a single applicant meant starting the PR Application all over again. So the options were very clear back then. But now, things are different and there is no update whether change in family composition is acceptable for expired COPR members due to Covid related reasons. Hope you understand my concern.

daveishan

Oct 13, 2018
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-10-2018
Med's Done....
13-11-2018
Thank you for your reply and I get that.
But is getting married AFTER COPR expiry AND Adding as a dependent acceptable? During pre-Covid times, the COPR expiry for a single applicant meant starting the PR Application all over again. So the options were very clear back then. But now, things are different and there is no update whether change in family composition is acceptable for expired COPR members due to Covid related reasons. Hope you understand my concern.
I do understand your concern, but given the COVID-related issue and the issues with the functioning of the Canadian embassy in India, I do not see why they will have a problem in spousal addition at this stage.

you can gather othe's opinions on this forum thoigh

Reactions: gta88

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
I do understand your concern, but given the COVID-related issue and the issues with the functioning of the Canadian embassy in India, I do not see why they will have a problem in spousal addition at this stage.

you can gather othe's opinions on this forum thoigh
Thank you

Window2176

Jan 4, 2018
Hi all, hope this info helps
My fiance (in 2019) applied via express entry in June 2019.
She got PPR in early December 2019.
Was planning to fly in April 2020.
Covid cancelled travel plans.
We got married end of June.
Raised a webform to let cic know a few days after as soon as we got the certificate.
Got a request letter first week of july
Submitted all the docs by end of july.
(It helped as my biometrics were already conducted last year for a different application)
Had a talk with cic in late November and they said our eligibility has been passed and only background check is pending.
File is in NDVO.
Waiting for golden email

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey .. did you manage to make a decision ? . I might be in the same boat soon. Also, are you sure that PR cards are being processed in 3 weeks ? - I read elsewhere that these are continuing to take an average 132 odd days to process.
New PR card processing times are around 4-5 months right now.

Reactions: CANaspirant90

CANaspirant90

Nov 7, 2020
Good day All.
I notified IRCC upon getting married and received an update on my account (within 5 days of raising webform). My previously expired CoPR (27 Jan 2020) was cancelled and they have issued me a new CoPR dated 17 Dec 2020. I have not yet received a request to add spousal documents and neither do I see a slot having opened up on my application profile. I am happy that there has been a response but the new CoPR issue date would mean that I am not eligible at the present moment to set foot in Canada. I am interested in proactively getting things done for the spousal bit of my application. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. @scylla @Window2176