+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT: 2011 processing time!

egyo

Apr 24, 2012
Hi there,
Anyone has an idea about the processing time for 2011 application at the time we submitted it? They mentioned nothing about the processing time in the letter acknowledging receipt of application, which we received from CIC in 2011. Please if you have an authentic source cite it here. Thanks!

informatics

Aug 3, 2009
egyo said:
Hi there,
Anyone has an idea about the processing time for 2011 application at the time we submitted it? They mentioned nothing about the processing time in the letter acknowledging receipt of application, which we received from CIC in 2011. Please if you have an authentic source cite it here. Thanks!
I don't think that anyone would be able to post the official link mentioning 2011 times as the website is updated constantly and the official site will only show the current times (unless he/she has got a screen shot of that time). However , I came to Canada in September 2011 and I do remember at that time the processing time was around 19 months.

jimmy1829

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
egyo said:
Hi there,
did you get an RQ?

tormenta

Mar 3, 2014
Wayback machine is here to help: https://web.archive.org/web/20110829054049/http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/cit-processing.asp

This is a snapshot from august 29, 2011. If you need a different date, you can choose here: https://web.archive.org/web/20110201000000*/http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/cit-processing.asp

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm not sure if this information is really going to be helpful to you though.

Posted processing times are not predictive, so beyond providing context, the published processing times at time of application are irrelevant to your processing time line. They don't say how long it WILL take to process an application. They say is how long it took to process past applications during a time period which has already passed.

Currently it states: "The table below shows the processing time from receipt of application to final decision for 80% of cases processed between July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2014" (My interpretation of "cased processed" is files that completed processing with Oath, withdrawal or rejection). http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/cit-processing.asp

Also, speaking as someone whose file got slotted into the "non-routine" side of things (RQ), the 80% figure is pretty useless. It's not an average. It's not a maximum. It's not even a non-binding service standard. It's not a personalised predictor of whatever might happen with your application. It's just a pretty random number.

jimmy1829

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
egyo said:
PERFECT! Thank you so much.
@ jimmy1829 Yes I got RQ.
I would assume it is pre-test RQ, since you mentioned that the concern was not addressed during the interview. Hearing might be required in this case.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eileenf said:
I'm not sure if this information is really going to be helpful to you though.

Posted processing times are not predictive, so beyond providing context, the published processing times at time of application are irrelevant to your processing time line. They don't say how long it WILL take to process an application. They say is how long it took to process past applications during a time period which has already passed.
1. There is a view that Mandamus can be raised based on the standard processing time at the date of the citizenship application not at the current timelines. So if you applied in 2009 and processing time was then 12 months then you could argue that you should not have to wait until the currently quoted 24/36 months to file a writ and should do so much earlier as per the shorter processing time at your original received by CIC date.

2. Based on my observation and understanding of precedent case law I think this is a weak argument given the concept that Citizenship grant is a privilege (not withstanding the 'shall' clause in the grant paragraphs of the Citizenship Acts) and that its hard to justify a harsh enough level of hardship if not having Citizenship processed in say 12 months.

3. PRs have mobility rights, employment rights, covered medically, protection of the law etc...convenience of travel with a Canadian passport isn't a hardship issue. One applicant on the forum went down this route to file a writ and got their oath but without knowing the merits of their entire case including reassessment under 0B407D who knows whether CIC no longer had any issues.

egyo

Apr 24, 2012
Hi Msafiri,
I didn't get you. Do you mean that going with Mandamus is not a recommended step? Do you have an idea about success rate for those who went with Mandamus? Thanks

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
egyo said:
Hi Msafiri,
I didn't get you. Do you mean that going with Mandamus is not a recommended step? Do you have an idea about success rate for those who went with Mandamus? Thanks
I re-phrased my post into 3 parts. A succesful Mandamus just compels CIC to finalize not approve your application. If you have been waiting beyond the current quoted timelines sure file. If you have been waiting less than the current timelines e.g. 20 months but file a writ because you've waited longer than the quoted time when you applied e.g. 16 months then I believe you have less chance of success. Check handle 'eileenf' posts they have a url resource in signature line with some Mandamus details. Its like gambling though...CIC is the house and often they win.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
There is a legal view that Mandamus can be raised on the premise of a 'standard processing time' on date of application. If this was 12 months when you applied say in 2009 then you could argue that you should not have to wait until the currently quoted 24/36 months to file a writ and should do so much earlier/sooner based on the shorter processing time at their received by CIC date.
Interesting. I agree it's a weak argument, but mostly because CIC posted processing times are not "standard processing times" and not at all predictive or forward looking. They're not service standards and they're not relevant to new applicants. They're backward looking. I would be curious to know which lawyers have raised that premise and whether they have have success with it.

I have issues with judge's accepting (as many seem to) that the can define for themselves "reasonable" processing times by asserting that however long it takes for 80% of people is reasonable by its very nature. The logic just doesn't hold. If the CIC started taking 20 years to process applications that wouldn't mean that 20 years was reasonable. If the CRA started taking 30 years to process tax returns that wouldn't make it reasonable. If it started taking 10 years for Service Ontario or the SAAQ to mail your new driver's license that would be unreasonable regardless of how common it was.

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
If you have been waiting too long, while many people already finalized, you can get a lawyer to do the job for you. It's called inequality. Well, CIC may finalize your application, means you can be granted or rejected, but at least you got the result rather than waiting in the dark.