+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UPS Store option. Is it still viable?

kostya_k

Feb 24, 2017
There's a bunch of threads where people suggest using UPS Stores to receive PR Cards when a person has to leave Canada prior to receiving a PR Card and wants it to be forwarded to his/her native country (so-called soft landing).

Yet, it looks like this option is not legal any more, as well as a friends option. Because currently the official site says:

Write your mailing address, with postal code, if different from your address in question A-12.

Note: If you provide your mailing address, all correspondence will be sent there. However, PR Cards will not be mailed to third party addresses. If you provide a third party address, your PR Card will be sent to your residential address (the address where you live). PR Cards will only be mailed to post office (PO) boxes if this is your residential mailing address. If you do not provide your residential address, processing will be delayed until you provide it.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-sex-designation.html

UPS Stores are quite surely falls into a third parties category. And this will be well visible to any officer in case if he/she decides to check it. The same goes to friends address; however, it'd be a lot more difficult for an officer to spot it.

Any ideas?

Reactions: Samoinp

rsid

Dec 20, 2017
Vancouver
Visa Office......
IRCC Vancouver
I think if you buy there post box services, you can certainly provide it as legal address. Lot of rental people prefer to have post boxes instead of their physical address as they are moving until they buy their own house. Hope that helps. I also have post box to get all my mails, I don’t use my rental address. Hope that helps.

anujoshi

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can go to the post office and buy (or rent, I think) a post office box. This is official and if you have that in place, you can provide that address as your residential address if you're out of the country. A UPS store, however, is a private retail establishment and not considered a residence, nor is it a post office. That's my understanding of it.

kostya_k

Feb 24, 2017
Thank you for your responses.

It's true that people have been successfully using rented post boxes and friends for years.
But now since CIC has changed the requirements and prohibiting third parties altogether is seem to become against their rules.

>>you can provide that address as your residential address if you're out of the country.
As far as I can see, the official rules don't make any exceptions for those who are out of country. Can you give me a link to an official regulation that'd support your statement?

Are there anyone who used any of third party addresses for this purpose during the last 2-3 months?

rsid

Dec 20, 2017
Vancouver
Visa Office......
IRCC Vancouver
If
I am also very curious about this. @PonJoub said that it is possible to use UPS in this thread: https://goo.gl/TpwV4V. I'll be landing in April and now I am having second thoughts about UPS.
If you are really concerned about it don’t provide the address at the time of landing, once you have finalized your residence use the option of providing the address online within 180 days of landing. Hope that helps. Thanks

Here is the CIC link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=054&top=10&_ga=2.233511261.2111676407.1518929963-109356017.1518313416

Reactions: sstarrgazerr

javisam376

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
Does anyone knows if a UPS mailbox is still a valid option or not?

According to them their address looks like a real addres like:

"Example:
Joe Smith
PMB XXX or # XXX
12345 Somewhere Street
Some City, Some Province Some Postal Code
"

Does anyone knows if it will work to get a PR card delivered for a soft landing and then being forwarded overseas?

Thanks.