+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ups private address for pr cards possible?

ummi

Star Member
Mar 29, 2012
i heard from someone that it is possible to take a mail box from ups ,they give private mailing address also.
any idea if something sort of this can be arranged for giving address for pr cards as i dont have any local friend there and they will not accept hotel address.

your advice would really be helpful...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can tell CIC when you enter that you do not have an address yet and they should hold your PR card until you contact them. You can give them the hotel address if they want it but they will not mail your PR card there.

Once you have landed, go to UPS, arrange an address with them and then phone CIC and tell them this address to mail your PR card to.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Leon said:
You can tell CIC when you enter that you do not have an address yet and they should hold your PR card until you contact them. You can give them the hotel address if they want it but they will not mail your PR card there.

Once you have landed, go to UPS, arrange an address with them and then phone CIC and tell them this address to mail your PR card to.
So, have you heard of the UPS private address working? Good news for all first-time receivers of PR cards.

But is there also something PRs living abroad can do to get their renewed cards? Or is picking up the card in person the only way?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
So, have you heard of the UPS private address working? Good news for all first-time receivers of PR cards.

But is there also something PRs living abroad can do to get their renewed cards? Or is picking up the card in person the only way?
They actually have a new bulletin out. Renewed cards will now also be mailed out in 90% of cases, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/notice-prcard-mail.asp

I have not heard if the UPS address is working nor that it is not working but I did hear of someone that got a PO Box accepted as a mailing address.

An application for a PR card must originate in Canada though so if the PR is banking on being overseas the whole time and not having to come back, they must send the renewal application to a relative in Canada and have them mail it in for them and then hope they are in the 90% whose new PR card will be mailed out.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Leon said:
They actually have a new bulletin out. Renewed cards will now also be mailed out in 90% of cases, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/notice-prcard-mail.asp

An application for a PR card must originate in Canada though so if the PR is banking on being overseas the whole time and not having to come back, they must send the renewal application to a relative in Canada and have them mail it in for them and then hope they are in the 90% whose new PR card will be mailed out.
That's good news! Do you read these bulletins for casual entertainment? :)

I have read in some manual that it is not absolutely necessary to mail the renewal application from inside Canada, and that failure to provide such proof cannot be grounds for refusal. But it is possible that this fragmented memory applies to a different situation. Can you clarify, Leon?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
That's good news! Do you read these bulletins for casual entertainment? :)

I have read in some manual that it is not absolutely necessary to mail the renewal application from inside Canada, and that failure to provide such proof cannot be grounds for refusal. But it is possible that this fragmented memory applies to a different situation. Can you clarify, Leon?
Somebody actually posted about this new mailing scheme on the forum. Otherwise I might have missed it. I do not go and read all their updates for fun, nope :)

According to the manual on PR cards:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf27-eng.pdf - page 13 said:
R56(2) states clearly that a PR card application must be made in Canada. Furthermore, the card must be delivered in person to each applicant, pursuant to R58(3), and be picked up within 180 days of the person receiving notification that it is ready for collection. This enhances the integrity of the application process, allowing the local office to contact the client to review documentation and assess residency issues in person. However, it is recognized that the Regulations do not specify physical presence in Canada for purposes of filing a PR card application. Applications cannot be refused solely on the basis of evidence that the applicant was not in Canada when the application was filed. However, applicants are expected to provide an address in Canada where they may be contacted to provide additional information or to present themselves in person for the purposes of reviewing either identification or eligibility for the PR card. The CPC may refer a case to a local CIC if all or part of the application originated from outside Canada, and if there are questions as to the client's identity, status or residency history, or the authenticity of the documentation. Clients must report in person to pick up their card in Canada, in accordance with R58(3).
Of course it hasn't been updated yet so it still says you have to pick it up in person but other than that, it seems that the PR card application must be made from within Canada with a Canadian mailing address although you can be clear about not actually being in Canada yourself. Makes sense?

However, at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp it says:

Assessing your eligibility

To be eligible for a PR Card, you must:

be a permanent resident of Canada
be physically present in Canada
not be under an effective removal order
not be a Canadian citizen or a registered Indian under the Indian Act and
not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a PR card

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Leon said:
Somebody actually posted about this new mailing scheme on the forum. Otherwise I might have missed it. I do not go and read all their updates for fun, nope :)

According to the manual on PR cards:

Of course it hasn't been updated yet so it still says you have to pick it up in person but other than that, it seems that the PR card application must be made from within Canada with a Canadian mailing address although you can be clear about not actually being in Canada yourself. Makes sense?

However, at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp it says:

Is it clear? Clear as mud.

The PR card application “must be made in Canada”, and yet it is recognized that the “regulations do not specify a physical presence in Canada”. Furthermore, “applications cannot be refused solely on the basis of evidence that the applicant was not in Canada when the application

So, apparently it is NOT necessary to be in Canada to file an application. Indeed, if all or part if an application is filed from outside Canada, the CPC may refer the case to a local office, and that office may require the applicant to appear in person.

Clearly CIC contemplates cases where applications are filed from outside Canada where the applicants are outside Canada too.

On the other hand, one criterion to be met when applying for a PR card renewal is that the applicant be physically present in Canada. Is it just me, or is this and other contradictions in the written requirements designed to leave ample room for arbitrary bureaucratic power?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
On the other hand, one criterion to be met when applying for a PR card renewal is that the applicant be physically present in Canada. Is it just me, or is this and other contradictions in the written requirements designed to leave ample room for arbitrary bureaucratic power?
Yes :)

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
On that we (all) agree: where did I ever get the notion that bureaucrats -- whose salaries are paid by taxpayers' dollars -- are there to serve the public? We citizens are a sub-class, with bureaucrats, even the most lowly of them, firmly in control.

How did we get to this point? Where is the difference in this respect between Canada and the most corrupt third-world country where the citizen counts for nothing?