+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Upfront Medical for Accompanying Spouse (FSW

Mark Wang

Jun 25, 2020
Hi everyone! Does any of you know whether the accompanying spouse can do upfront medical? My spouse got ITA last month, through FSW-outland and I will accompany him to Canada.

IRCC says that "You can’t get an upfront medical exam if you’re being sponsored as a spouse, partner or child. Wait for our instructions before going for your medical exam" (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-permanent-residents.html#who). But I saw elsewhere that the spouse can actually get the upfront medical done as well.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone! Does any of you know whether the accompanying spouse can do upfront medical? My spouse got ITA last month, through FSW-outland and I will accompany him to Canada.

IRCC says that "You can’t get an upfront medical exam if you’re being sponsored as a spouse, partner or child. Wait for our instructions before going for your medical exam" (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-permanent-residents.html#who). But I saw elsewhere that the spouse can actually get the upfront medical done as well.

Thank you!
FYI - you are not being sponsored by your spouse. So the above statement doesn't apply to you. You are being included in your spouse's application. The above statement would only apply to you if your spouse was already a Canadian citizen or PR and was sponsoring you for PR through spousal sponsorship.

Mark Wang

Jun 25, 2020
FYI - you are not being sponsored by your spouse. So the above statement doesn't apply to you. You are being included in your spouse's application. The above statement would only apply to you if your spouse was already a Canadian citizen or PR and was sponsoring you for PR through spousal sponsorship.
Thank you! I guess I need to make an appointment for myself too

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
If accompanying spouse's name is not mentioned on ITA, then can the accompanying spouse use the same ITA to request an upfront medical along with principal applicant?

anandsin

Star Member
Jan 12, 2023
@gta88 did you
If accompanying spouse's name is not mentioned on ITA, then can the accompanying spouse use the same ITA to request an upfront medical along with principal applicant?
Did you figure out if you had to do spousal upfront medical if spouse was added during the PR process. I received ITA and submitted all documents.

Then got married and IRCC requested for medical for spouse.

abff08f4813c

Feb 24, 2023
Yes, I did this, because the relationship wasn't established until after ITA was received.

@gta88 did you

Did you figure out if you had to do spousal upfront medical if spouse was added during the PR process. I received ITA and submitted all documents.

Then got married and IRCC requested for medical for spouse.
Upfront means you do it before they request it - once they have requested it then it's no longer upfront. Doing it upfront can speed up the process (they can check the box right away instead of sending you the request and then waiting for it to get done and submitted), but it's certainly not required. You're fine.

anandsin

Star Member
Jan 12, 2023
Yes, I did this, because the relationship wasn't established until after ITA was received.

Upfront means you do it before they request it - once they have requested it then it's no longer upfront. Doing it upfront can speed up the process (they can check the box right away instead of sending you the request and then waiting for it to get done and submitted), but it's certainly not required. You're fine.
Its quite sometime the question was asked. I have received my COPR and about to land in Canada this year. Thank you for the response.