+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Upfront Medical Exam

PetCoke

Mar 14, 2017
Hi,

This is a very specific question.

Let me give you some context: My wife got accepted at a university in canada. She is planning to start in september and I want to go to canada with her. Also we have been invited to apply for a permanent residence (ITA received recently).

As the processing times for the PR are much longer and we have to come to canada in september (so that my wife starts at the university), we are applying for a study permit (my wife) and an spouse open work permit (for me).

At the same time we have started to gather all documents to send our application for PR.

The question is, can we use the same Upfront Medical examination form for both applications?.

Thank you

ashu1710

Nov 7, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
PetCoke said:
Hi,

Let me give you some context: My wife got accepted at a university in canada. She is planning to start in september and I want to go to canada with her. Also we have been invited to apply for a permanent residence (ITA received recently).

As the processing times for the PR are much longer and we have to come to canada in september (so that my wife starts at the university), we are applying for a study permit (my wife) and an spouse open work permit (for me).

At the same time we have started to gather all documents to send our application for PR.

The question is, can we use the same Upfront Medical examination form for both applications?.

Thank you
I used the medical for my LMIA work permit application (Non EDE, Worker). I passed meds 2 days ago. I think you can use them, but I'm not 100% sure.

itsats

Dec 16, 2014
Visa Office......
MISS
App. Filed.......
Feb10 2017
Doc's Request.
Sched A Mar20 2017
AOR Received.
Mar14 2017
Med's Done....
May10 2017
hi! i just came in for a medical exam with a panel physician today to change the conditions of my open work permit which i got while applying under the inland spousal sponsorship. the receptionist told me that under the new rules, they cannot do up-front medical for permanent residence applications so my medical would only go towards my work permit. However, she said that if CIC would send me a medical request within a year (medical exams are valid for a year) I can send the receipt which i got today and I would be able to use it for my permanent residence application. I hope I was able to help with your question.

cmoncanada

Mar 22, 2017
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
30/03/2017
Med's Done....
20/03/2017
the receptionist told me that under the new rules, they cannot do up-front medical for permanent residence applications
I believe this info in incorrect, because I did my medical exam upfront for the PR application. It was accepted normally and it already shows as passed.

karthik506

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
4011 & 4012
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-05-2017
AOR Received.
07-05-2017
I used my work permit medical certificate for express entry and it is passed. Make sure you apply PR after applying work permit.

itsats

Dec 16, 2014
Visa Office......
MISS
App. Filed.......
Feb10 2017
Doc's Request.
Sched A Mar20 2017
AOR Received.
Mar14 2017
Med's Done....
May10 2017
I believe this info in incorrect, because I did my medical exam upfront for the PR application. It was accepted normally and it already shows as passed.
when did you do yoir medical exam? thay was what the receptionist told me. under the new rules starting december 2016. it would be good if it would go to my PR application as well.

anigdikar

Apr 3, 2017
when did you do yoir medical exam? thay was what the receptionist told me. under the new rules starting december 2016. it would be good if it would go to my PR application as well.
I did my upfront medical tests on 1-May 2017 and I was allowed to do so.

itsats

Dec 16, 2014
Visa Office......
MISS
App. Filed.......
Feb10 2017
Doc's Request.
Sched A Mar20 2017
AOR Received.
Mar14 2017
Med's Done....
May10 2017
I used my work permit medical certificate for express entry and it is passed. Make sure you apply PR after applying work permit.
i applied for PR and OWP at the same time. i was issued the OWP while waiting for the decision on my PR application. I took the medical exam to remove a restriction in my OWP which says i can't work in healthcare. it would be good if both application will show as medical passed. thanks!

itsats

Dec 16, 2014
Visa Office......
MISS
App. Filed.......
Feb10 2017
Doc's Request.
Sched A Mar20 2017
AOR Received.
Mar14 2017
Med's Done....
May10 2017
I did my upfront medical tests on 1-May 2017 and I was allowed to do so.
that's great! i did mine yesterday, may 11 2017. did you have a OWP as well? i did it under dr.abolarin

cmoncanada

Mar 22, 2017
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
30/03/2017
Med's Done....
20/03/2017
I did my upfront in March 2017.

mrqxx

May 13, 2017
Hi,

Thank you
We are in the EXACT same situation.
We are applying for PR, study visa and spouse open work visa.
Did our upfront medicals Friday, April 14, for study and work visa.
That evening we got our ITA-received email for PR.

We are clients of Campbell&Cohen and our case worker confirmed we would have to do medicals again for Permanent Residency.

However, this is not as easily resolved.
Firstly I contacted two different hospital panel physicians and both confirmed that there is no option to do a medical for PR, only the categories work, study, family. Also that there is only 1 medical test for Canada - all three are exactly the same test so there should be no problem which you choose.

After conveying this information to our case worker, they confirmed we still had to undergo another medical, selecting worker category.

We live 2 hours drive from the nearest panel physician....we went early this morning....only to be confirmed that you CAN NOT do another medical if you still have a valid medical exam.

When an upfront medical is done you receive your IMU number which is connected with your name/passport etc and therefore cannot have 2 profiles.

My advice is when you upload your IMU number for both applications maybe just add a letter of explanation as to why you chose the specific categories.

Good luck!

shinyjoshua

Star Member
Jan 16, 2018
I am in a unique situation.. I got my closed work permit in December and my wife and I did upfront medical examination for the same. She got an open work permit approval (however she hasn't landed in Canada). We applied for express entry and post ITA, since I am in Canada I went ahead and got another medical exam done and it went ok. When my wife in India, tried to get her medical examination done - the doctors told her she can't as her medical is still valid.

What we are confused is how did the system allow me to have a 2nd medical and not her. Is this a glitch? What's the suggested path?

kminfy

Aug 9, 2018
I am in a unique situation.. I got my closed work permit in December and my wife and I did upfront medical examination for the same. She got an open work permit approval (however she hasn't landed in Canada). We applied for express entry and post ITA, since I am in Canada I went ahead and got another medical exam done and it went ok. When my wife in India, tried to get her medical examination done - the doctors told her she can't as her medical is still valid.

What we are confused is how did the system allow me to have a 2nd medical and not her. Is this a glitch? What's the suggested path?
Hello Shinoy, what you did? I'm in exact situation, but I'm yet to do medicals. Pls let us know how it went for you.