+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Updating IRCC about deferment?

meghdee

Star Member
May 1, 2019
Hello everyone.

I received my SP for Sept. 2019 intake, but decided to defer intake until Jan. 2020. I'm currently on the waitlist for enrollment in my classes and my school is confident that I'll get the official registration letter by December.

I wouldn't normally update IRCC, but my spouse's open work permit application is still pending from May 16. Will they check and see that I haven't entered Canada yet? I don't want to update them with my classes being on waitlist, but I don't want them to refuse my spouse because I haven't updated them that I'm going in Jan.

Anyone have advice?

noelvictoria

Mar 24, 2019
I'm in a similar predicament. I received my SP for January intake but would like to defer to May 2020. My wife and kids already got their visas approved as well. I just don't know if I should inform IRCC that I will be deferring to May 2020.

meghdee

Star Member
May 1, 2019
I'm in a similar predicament. I received my SP for January intake but would like to defer to May 2020. My wife and kids already got their visas approved as well. I just don't know if I should inform IRCC that I will be deferring to May 2020.
If your family already has their visas, I don't think you would need to update them. Many people defer and don't update. But you will have to have a good reason why you are deferring when at the port of entry, since you already have your visa in September. I received mine 6 days before classes started, so wasn't able to enroll in time.

noelvictoria

Mar 24, 2019
If your family already has their visas, I don't think you would need to update them. Many people defer and don't update. But you will have to have a good reason why you are deferring when at the port of entry, since you already have your visa in September. I received mine 6 days before classes started, so wasn't able to enroll in time.
I was thinking the same. I need to explain why to the immigration officer.