+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Update PR application without representative?

markusfranz

Feb 16, 2023
Hello,

I would like to send an updated document through IRCC webform for my Federal Self Employed PR application. In the past I have used an immigration lawyer who is still listed as representative to this application but I'd prefer to do it myself for this update. Can I submit the document myself even though I have a representative tagged to this application?

Thank you for any help!

Markus

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I would like to send an updated document through IRCC webform for my Federal Self Employed PR application. In the past I have used an immigration lawyer who is still listed as representative to this application but I'd prefer to do it myself for this update. Can I submit the document myself even though I have a representative tagged to this application?
Yes. Having a person authorized to act on one's behalf doesn't remove one's ability to act on one's own.

That said: rather obvious caveat that if you mess anything up, you own it - your representative may disclaim responsibility, etc. No big deal if the update is routine like a change of address - probably. Your agreement/contract with your lawyer might (hypothetically) state that they must be used for official correspondence related to your file - read the terms. Depending on context that may or may not be important.

Reactions: markusfranz