+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Update on medical inadmissibility - 16 Apr 09:30 EDT

bteufel

Star Member
Jul 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Just to let you know that an update on medical inadmissibility rules will be announced at 09:30 Ottawa time, on Monday, April 16, from Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship; Kirsty Duncan, Minister of Science and Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities, and Carla Qualtrough, Minister of Public Services and Procurement.

Source:
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/media-advisory---ministers-hussen-duncan-and-qualtrough-to-hold-media-availability-679665183.html

Let's hope for the best.

Reactions: indy500

indy500

May 27, 2017
Hi,

Just to let you know that an update on medical inadmissibility rules will be announced at 09:30 Ottawa time, on Monday, April 16, from Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship; Kirsty Duncan, Minister of Science and Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities, and Carla Qualtrough, Minister of Public Services and Procurement.

Source:
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/media-advisory---ministers-hussen-duncan-and-qualtrough-to-hold-media-availability-679665183.html

Let's hope for the best.

Thanks for the update!

bteufel

Star Member
Jul 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The changes include:
* increasing the cost threshold for medical inadmissibility to 3 times the previous level, and
* amending the definition of social services by removing references to special education, social and vocational rehabilitation services and personal support services.

The Government agrees with the recommendation to eliminate the policy and will collaborate with provinces and territories towards its full elimination.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2018/04/government-of-canada-brings-medical-inadmissibility-policyin-line-with-inclusivity-for-persons-with-disabilities.html

indy500

May 27, 2017
The changes include:
* increasing the cost threshold for medical inadmissibility to 3 times the previous level, and
* amending the definition of social services by removing references to special education, social and vocational rehabilitation services and personal support services.

The Government agrees with the recommendation to eliminate the policy and will collaborate with provinces and territories towards its full elimination.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2018/04/government-of-canada-brings-medical-inadmissibility-policyin-line-with-inclusivity-for-persons-with-disabilities.html
Good to see the update. It doesn't say when this will become effective, right? Couldn't find any information on that.

bteufel

Star Member
Jul 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good to see the update. It doesn't say when this will become effective, right? Couldn't find any information on that.
I haven't been able to find anything official on when it becomes effective, but I just found this:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4142592/trudeau-liberals-overhaul-discriminatory-immigration-law-disabilities/

"Hussen said the changes will take effect immediately. Families whose applications have been denied in the past due to special education costs related to a child’s disability will need to reapply if they wish to be considered under the new rules."

Reactions: Ca-3858

Outworld

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been able to find anything official on when it becomes effective, but I just found this:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4142592/trudeau-liberals-overhaul-discriminatory-immigration-law-disabilities/

"Hussen said the changes will take effect immediately. Families whose applications have been denied in the past due to special education costs related to a child’s disability will need to reapply if they wish to be considered under the new rules."
What about tripling threshold? Are this also effective now?

Outworld

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks you for reply!
However I couldn't find out the evidence. In some articles it is said that those changes will come forth in 1 June 2018. Can you please share a link to official information regarding this matter? Or do you know people whose applications have been assessed according these changed rules?

bteufel

Star Member
Jul 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks you for reply!
However I couldn't find out the evidence. In some articles it is said that those changes will come forth in 1 June 2018. Can you please share a link to official information regarding this matter? Or do you know people whose applications have been assessed according these changed rules?
On 1 June, a Temporary Public Policy Regarding Excessive Demand on Health and Social Services was published:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/excessive-demand-june-2018.html

However, it seems to apply to all applications pending as of 16 April (the date of the original announcement). I quote from the above website:

"The foreign national (principal applicant or their dependent family member) must have a temporary or permanent resident application that was received on or after April 16, 2018 or was pending as of that date ..."

Outworld

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
On 1 June, a Temporary Public Policy Regarding Excessive Demand on Health and Social Services was published:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/excessive-demand-june-2018.html

However, it seems to apply to all applications pending as of 16 April (the date of the original announcement). I quote from the above website:

"The foreign national (principal applicant or their dependent family member) must have a temporary or permanent resident application that was received on or after April 16, 2018 or was pending as of that date ..."
All pending applications as of 16 2018 temporary or permanent residence applications which was received ON or AFTER 16 April 2018
They apply new rules
Just a matter of English knowledge

Outworld

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
I need URGENT help
What should I answer to Statutory question of having serious disease? Yes or no?
I have got HIV but not AIDS
Please be proactive since I need to submit my application.
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I need URGENT help
What should I answer to Statutory question of having serious disease? Yes or no?
I have got HIV but not AIDS
Please be proactive since I need to submit my application.
Thanks
Yes.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HIV is the shortcut for the virus name and AIDS is the name of the illness itself. So somehow you cannot have one without the other. What you can have is a latent state of AIDS. That is when the illness it not visible and you do not have any symptoms.
And you can be without any symptoms for years. However you are still carrying the virus that is causing serious disease.

Outworld

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
HIV is the shortcut for the virus name and AIDS is the name of the illness itself. So somehow you cannot have one without the other. What you can have is a latent state of AIDS. That is when the illness it not visible and you do not have any symptoms.
And you can be without any symptoms for years. However you are still carrying the virus that is causing serious disease.
Please don't explain me what is HiV and AiDs especially if don't have any idea about it. I am a Medical Doctor!!! Latent AIDS is nonsense there are specific criteria for AiDs diagnosis.
And you CAN have HIV without AIDS that's why you take medicines.
Now should I answer yes if I have HIV not AIDS?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Please don't explain me what is HiV and AiDs especially if don't have any idea about it. I am a Medical Doctor!!! Latent AIDS is nonsense there are specific criteria for AiDs diagnosis.
And you CAN have HIV without AIDS that's why you take medicines.
Now should I answer yes if I have HIV not AIDS?
Yes - you should answer "yes".