+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Update marital status to CIC while e-APR is in process

milanshergill

Jul 27, 2016
I have submitted my e-APR via Express Entry. I am currently working full-time in Canada as a worker and planning to get married in my home country while my application for PR is in process. I know I have to inform CIC about my marital status change. My question is when should I inform CIC about this status change? Should I inform them while i am still in my home country? Or should i inform them once I get back (or re-enter) Canada as a worker?

If I plan to inform CIC after coming back to Canada should I tell CBSA officers at the airport about my marriage? If I tell CBSA officers at the airport but not before will that effect my application?

FYI: I am getting married to a Canadian PR so my spouse is already in Canada on a PR status.

mvd

Star Member
Aug 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think getting married in Canada would be better in your case, as you both are there. Later you can have traditional marriage in your home country.

milanshergill

Jul 27, 2016
Thanks mvd that's one of the option. But lets say that I want to get married in my home country then what steps should I follow?

nmeka

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-nov-2015
Passport Req..
03-may-2016
LANDED..........
24-May-2016
milanshergill said:
Thanks mvd that's one of the option. But lets say that I want to get married in my home country then what steps should I follow?
Once you get your documents proving your marriage(marriage certificate). You can open a CSE and attach the documents and a LOE. Many people did that.
Generally it is recommende that you inform CIC about your Marital status as early as possible.(Ofcourse you need your document while doing this).

Hope this helps.

milanshergill

Jul 27, 2016
nmeka said:
Once you get your documents proving your marriage(marriage certificate). You can open a CSE and attach the documents and a LOE. Many people did that.
Generally it is recommende that you inform CIC about your Marital status as early as possible.(Ofcourse you need your document while doing this).

Hope this helps.
Thanks nmeka. I also confirmed it with CIC call centre today and the agent said that I should inform CIC as early as possible and it doesn't matter if I inform them from my home country or after I come back to Canada as long as I do it before my PR application is finalized. As for my re-entry into Canada there won't be any problem as long as I have valid travel documents + work permit.

Lastly, when I asked about how much this marital status change would delay my application - his response was that in my case it won't effect the application at all as I am marrying a person who is already a Canadian PR thus there won't be any new add-on to the application. My application processing time shouldn't be delayed at all except for the fact to change my marital status from single to married (i.e. it will just be like informing CIC about an address change).

nmeka

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-nov-2015
Passport Req..
03-may-2016
LANDED..........
24-May-2016
milanshergill said:
Thanks nmeka. I also confirmed it with CIC call centre today and the agent said that I should inform CIC as early as possible and it doesn't matter if I inform them from my home country or after I come back to Canada as long as I do it before my PR application is finalized. As for my re-entry into Canada there won't be any problem as long as I have valid travel documents + work permit.

Lastly, when I asked about how much this marital status change would delay my application - his response was that in my case it won't effect the application at all as I am marrying a person who is already a Canadian PR thus there won't be any new add-on to the application. My application processing time shouldn't be delayed at all except for the fact to change my marital status from single to married (i.e. it will just be like informing CIC about an address change).
Great, Good luck.

Poonam.tandon

Mar 24, 2016
I am applying for student visa for Jan 2017 intake. But my wedding is fixed for December 2016.
I need to process my student visa procedureprocedure now.
How and when do I get my post wedding name updated? Since my spouse will also be accompanying me post wedding as my dependant and would be applying for open work permit.