+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Update CIC with New Passport Details

A.Costello

Mar 5, 2018
Hi,

I am a UK citizen and permanent resident of Canada - now applying for Canadian citizenship. My citizenship application has been confirmed received and awaiting processing.

I have renewed my UK passport recently due to expiration of my now prior one. Which means my old passport has now been cancelled.

I understand I need to notify the cic for the processing of my citizenship application and likely for my PR too.

Has anyone experienced this requirement? I would be most grateful for any insight in how to ensure the CIC is updated with my new passport details.

Many thanks,
Aaron

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hi,

I am a UK citizen and permanent resident of Canada - now applying for Canadian citizenship. My citizenship application has been confirmed received and awaiting processing.

I have renewed my UK passport recently due to expiration of my now prior one. Which means my old passport has now been cancelled.

I understand I need to notify the cic for the processing of my citizenship application and likely for my PR too.

Has anyone experienced this requirement? I would be most grateful for any insight in how to ensure the CIC is updated with my new passport details.

Many thanks,
Aaron
There's no need to inform them.
You'll have to bring the recently cancelled passport to the test+interview, so they can check your travel history (and if you have any other expired passports that were valid during your eligibility period you'd need to bring those too).
They have no interest in your new passport, as that was issued after you applied, so does not cover the 5-year period that IRCC will be reviewing.

Reactions: A.Costello

A.Costello

Mar 5, 2018
There's no need to inform them.
You'll have to bring the recently cancelled passport to the test+interview, so they can check your travel history (and if you have any other expired passports that were valid during your eligibility period you'd need to bring those too).
They have no interest in your new passport, as that was issued after you applied, so does not cover the 5-year period that IRCC will be reviewing.
That's great news! Thank you kindly for your help and for such a prompt response!!