+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Up-front Medical for spousal application

DaiWelsh

Jun 5, 2015
From the forms it seems for a spousal application I am supposed to do an up-front medical? At the time we started preparing this move the processing time was about 6 months but apparently now London is somewhere over 2 years, while the medical expires in a year.

Is it definitely still the case that I need to get a medical up-front and then presumably another one at some point when it expires (is that when the application is otherwise finished or do I have to renew every year regardless, so potentially 3 or more medicals?).

In case it matters; my wife is Canadian citizen, I am UK citizen, outland PR application starting while I am in UK, will be arriving in Canada in about 3 months, ahead of application being processed.

My guess is the answer is yes I have to do up-front and then again when it expires, but I wanted to see if anyone can confirm or deny before we blow hundreds of pounds on medical #1 ahead of the application form going in.

TIA,

Dai

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yes, you are supposed to do the medical before you send in the application. Many London applicants who are UK citizens get processed before a year is up. If not, do not just automatically go for a remedical - sometimes the visa office will extend the validity of the first medical. If not, they will ask you for another one. They would probably ask for the second one shortly before approving you, not right after the first one expires, so it is highly unlikely you would have to do three.

DanSlh

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2014
Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015 AOR2............: 15-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
DaiWelsh said:
Thanks, pretty much as I expected, good if it will be maximum of two at least
The processing time shows 29 months because pakistani's applications are going through London.
UK citizens are processed - if straight application - in less than a year.

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DaiWelsh said:
I wanted to see if anyone can confirm or deny before we blow hundreds of pounds on medical #1 ahead of the application form going in.
Have you considered delaying the application until after you arrive in Canada and getting the upfront medical done in Canada? You can get it done anywhere provided it is done by a panel physician and I suspect it is far cheaper in Canada than in the UK. I did mine in Canada when on vacation there shortly before submitting my application and as I recollect the cost was in the region of C$400. That was admittedly some 3 years ago; so things might have changed. Actually, I never found out how much it would have cost me in the UK but my assumption was and is that it would be more expensive. And with the exchange rate having improved so much in favour of sterling, in real terms it would be now cheaper still to have it done in Canada.

DaiWelsh

Jun 5, 2015
For the record £312 where I am getting it done in UK (basic medical +£50 if you are over 70 and possibly extra if you need Hepatitis tests etc. not sure).

If I wait for medical I will have to wait for PR app and presumably also OWP application and as I need to work from the moment I arrive that is not an option. Thanks for the suggestion though.