+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unusual delay

Jun 1, 2012
Hello folks,
First time poster here.

I do realize obtaining of Citizenship is a 19month long process.

Though after doing some digging, I am starting to think there is something wrong with my case...

Here is my timeline..

Citizenship
We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on March 2, 2011.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on March 2, 2011. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on March 5, 2012.

It took them a whole year to start processing!!

Is that normal? I haven't rec'd my test date yet.. I know the application has to be transferred to my local office(which now is Vancouver, thanks to Feds fund cutting approx 4hrs away incl. ferry ride).

Just seemed odd..

sivan71

May 12, 2012
WonderfulRemark said:
Hello folks,
First time poster here.

I do realize obtaining of Citizenship is a 19month long process.

Though after doing some digging, I am starting to think there is something wrong with my case...

Here is my timeline..

Citizenship
We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on March 2, 2011.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on March 2, 2011. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on March 5, 2012.

It took them a whole year to start processing!!

Is that normal? I haven't rec'd my test date yet.. I know the application has to be transferred to my local office(which now is Vancouver, thanks to Feds fund cutting approx 4hrs away incl. ferry ride).

Just seemed odd..
Hi WonderfulRemark,

Not sure if you have applied from Victoria CIC office which I hear being closed. If it is Victoria, please take a look at the forum thread mentioned below. Unfortunately, it looks like for applicants from Victoria it's taking more time (even when the Victoria office was processing applications locally) than applicants from Vancouver or Surrey.

Best of luck.

Canuck2b

Nov 29, 2011
Hi,

I sent my application 10 months ago, and it says on Ecas that they have no record of the application. I applied to Quebec city office that will now be tranferred to the Montreal office because of closings also. I called CIC, and the only thing they say is that they received the application, but can say nothing else.
We received the study book and letter of receipt 9 months ago, 1 month after we sent the application.From what I've found it seems that Montreal is already around the 24 month processing time.

I wish everyone good luck, and that things will speed up.

Z

zaza39

I do not know where is the delay but it seems all across Canada there are delays.i studied and then get discourage after not seeing any letter for my test .They said 19 mths to process.Mine already 20!

Rosebud

Oct 12, 2012
Hey Guys,

I know this is very upsetting and frustrating but I think we have all been watiting so why not start sending them request thru fax as that is always allowed and they have also explained it when I called the Call Center. They told me that if its beyond the routine time period then make sure you are in touch with the local office thru fax and they are nice (as I personally experienced it) and willing to help. So B positive and send in a request. :)

Jun 1, 2012
Finally an update! ;D

I am set to write the exam in less than a month in Nanaimo!

We sent you a notice on November 13, 2012 to appear and write the citizenship test on December 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

medimawla

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
i have been applying to my citizenship since November 2009, in Montreal and i called them many times now i am into loop again, they are doing check background and security check because its expired , so its gona take longer

checkmate

Oct 25, 2012
WonderfulRemark said:
I got the RQ after the test...

Yikes :(
Hey WonderfulRemark,

Do you have any idea why they give you RQ?
Have you applied as family or individual?
Who gave you RQ?

Jun 1, 2012
I applied alone.
I married a Canadian and now have a Canadian daughter as well.

I assume I was given the RQ because:

I went to the states for a week(to Vegas, family vacation).
A day trip to the states(5minute trip to pick up a parcel)
A lay-over to get to Korea with my new born child to visit my family who are all established in Korea.

My RQ package is thicker than a binder..(including all the credit card/bank statements.)

I just don't get why they need so much information.

Shouldn't my T4's, Mortgage Statement, Property Tax forms be enough?

This whole process has been almost too painful and makes me feel like I am being harrassed.(Invasion of privacy)

medimawla

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
i have been waiting more than 3 years i applied since November 2009 , i got RQ before test and still waiting i traveled several times to my country for family visit, i think CIC they don't want immigrants travel outside Canada , and deprive you of your right to acquire a citizenship ,even your personal life became theirs, i called my MP several times the last time said unfortunately that immigrants do not have any value when the government and they're for her just benefit,and that this situation will remain based , until you change the current government and its policy so be patient guys.