+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unpaid Vacation Time in Canada

jase84

Nov 4, 2016
Hi All

My wife and I (and our 3 young kids) are looking to move to the Calgary/Airdrie area from the UK around August 2018, we are just starting the process now.

One question I have though is, I understand you only get 2 weeks holiday entitlement in Canada once you have worked a year for a company, but if you are happy to take the financial impact, are you able to take unpaid leave? I currently get 27 days holiday in the UK, which is great and I except I won't get that in Canada, but could I get that if I was prepare to take the holiday time unpaid?

2 weeks holiday a years sounds like a very bad work/life balance to me, so do people in Canada take unpaid leave instead to get more time off or is it really all work and no play?

I wouldn't want to move my family half way across the world for a better life, to find I am actually in work all the time and never see them!

Thanks

Jase

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How much vacation you get can sometimes be negotiated.

Whether you are allowed unpaid leave or not is a conversation you'll need to have with the company you're working for. There's no standard answer.

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
jase84 said:
Hi All

My wife and I (and our 3 young kids) are looking to move to the Calgary/Airdrie area from the UK around August 2018, we are just starting the process now.

One question I have though is, I understand you only get 2 weeks holiday entitlement in Canada once you have worked a year for a company, but if you are happy to take the financial impact, are you able to take unpaid leave? I currently get 27 days holiday in the UK, which is great and I except I won't get that in Canada, but could I get that if I was prepare to take the holiday time unpaid?

2 weeks holiday a years sounds like a very bad work/life balance to me, so do people in Canada take unpaid leave instead to get more time off or is it really all work and no play?

I wouldn't want to move my family half way across the world for a better life, to find I am actually in work all the time and never see them!

Thanks

Jase
2 weeks vacation is the minimum under employment standards. Many companies (especially if you are a white collar employee) have different vacation entitlements. I have 25 business days paid plus my company allows me unpaid time off. Vacation is something you can negotiate if you are a salaried employee.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2 weeks is the standard to start with but keep in mind that Canada has a long weekend almost every month due to various holidays and you can make good use of those 3 day weekends. After some years with the same employer you are usually entitled to 3 weeks per year and possibly eventually even 4 at some point. It depends on the employer and province.

Unpaid vacation depends on the employer. Your employer may have certain periods that they are not very busy and would be more than happy to have you take unpaid vacation vs. paying you for sitting around and not doing much.

jase84

Nov 4, 2016
Thanks for all the responses, its great to know I should be able to get the work/life balance right!