+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unlimited Data Plan - Using a US Cellphone carrier in Ontario

drasticinput

Apr 10, 2018
So it's no surprise that the mobile data plans in Canada suck.

Here's the plan - for about the same price, I can get a second line from a friend of mine in the US. They have unlimited talk, text and most importantly - UNLIMITED Data (including streaming). I have some questions:
  1. Does having an American number as your primary number in Canada pose any issues, especially dealing with Banks, Employers, Uber, Food Delivery services, etc?
  2. Is it a better idea to have a dual sim phone and only use the American SIM for data while having the Canadian number for Business as Usual activities?
Do let me know if you have experienced such an arrangement and how reliable it is.

Cheers

sid1987

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
19-06-2018
AOR Received.
19-06-2018
Passport Req..
25 -07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2018
LANDED..........
04-08-2018

Here's the plan - for about the same price, I can get a second line from a friend of mine in the US. They have unlimited talk, text and most importantly - UNLIMITED Data (including streaming). I have some questions:
  1. Does having an American number as your primary number in Canada pose any issues, especially dealing with Banks, Employers, Uber, Food Delivery services, etc?
  2. Is it a better idea to have a dual sim phone and only use the American SIM for data while having the Canadian number for Business as Usual activities?
Do let me know if you have experienced such an arrangement and how reliable it is.

Cheers
nope it does not hehehe... I moved from US.. and have att for both me and my wife.. no issues at all

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Many people who have mobile only will likely have unlimited North America call and text but you will likely run into problems with things like your family doctor charging you long distance fees or wanting a local number to call. May run into problems with children's schools, etc. Basically with government or businesses with landlines. Would recommend at least 1 local number.

Reactions: drasticinput

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
I kept my Tmobile phone number. I got the app TextNow where you can choose a local number. Works like a regular phone with voice, text, voicemail

Reactions: drasticinput

philly2013

Jul 21, 2017
I kept my Tmobile phone number. I got the app TextNow where you can choose a local number. Works like a regular phone with voice, text, voicemail
It worked for me for about a year till Tmobile started blocking roaming. There is a condition that 50% of your usage has to be in the U.S. More discussion about this can be found here https://thepointsguy.com/news/t-mobile-to-block-roaming-for-travelers-who-roam-excessively/.

Also, VOIP or TextNow are not very reliable. Dropped calls/poor connections occur often. I guess it's the trade-off you might have to make.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Tried that with my T-Mobile after I landed last year but after a few weeks the "unlimited" data was not operational. There is some kind of limits on the percentage of data outside the US for those unlimited plans.

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
It worked for me for about a year till Tmobile started blocking roaming. There is a condition that 50% of your usage has to be in the U.S. More discussion about this can be found here https://thepointsguy.com/news/t-mobile-to-block-roaming-for-travelers-who-roam-excessively/.

Also, VOIP or TextNow are not very reliable. Dropped calls/poor connections occur often. I guess it's the trade-off you might have to make.
You have to change your phone settings to wifi calling as the preferred, and connect to wifi whenever possible. I used to get the messages but not anymore after I changed my settings.

philly2013

Jul 21, 2017
You have to change your phone settings to wifi calling as the preferred, and connect to wifi whenever possible. I used to get the messages but not anymore after I changed my settings.
If you are near wifi a lot, then wifi setting will work. If not, wifi setting doesn't do much. However, if you are near wifi a lot, then why the need for an unlimited plan anyway?

I needed a US plan because I worked in the States and my commute was long. Even so, I never went past 5gb a month but Tmobile still blocked my roaming because most of the usage occurred in Canada. Now I only have a Canadian plan with some roaming capability even though I still work in the States. My cellphone bill is actually lower than what I paid before for Tmobile.

The biggest upside of a Tmobile plan is international roaming. For someone that travels internationally a lot, it makes a lot of sense. For those that don't, then there are good options with Koodo, Public Mobile, Zoomer, etc. with about 5gb to 8gb for around $40 to $45. Big 3 are definitely expensive though. There are also data-only plans with Fido, Koodo, etc. that come with 3gb a month for $15. For someone who is near wifi a lot and is comfortable with voip, that might already be enough.

Even with wifi, Voip is not reliable. Once you've established a life in Canada, using a US number or Voip just makes it more difficult because there are things you'd want a reliable phone line for, especially when a kid is involved.

All these are just my personal opinions. I just don't think there is a universal solution. If you are comfortable with your set-up, by all means.

Reactions: VOBuckeye

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
If you are near wifi a lot, then wifi setting will work. If not, wifi setting doesn't do much. However, if you are near wifi a lot, then why the need for an unlimited plan anyway?

I needed a US plan because I worked in the States and my commute was long. Even so, I never went past 5gb a month but Tmobile still blocked my roaming because most of the usage occurred in Canada. Now I only have a Canadian plan with some roaming capability even though I still work in the States. My cellphone bill is actually lower than what I paid before for Tmobile.

The biggest upside of a Tmobile plan is international roaming. For someone that travels internationally a lot, it makes a lot of sense. For those that don't, then there are good options with Koodo, Public Mobile, Zoomer, etc. with about 5gb to 8gb for around $40 to $45. Big 3 are definitely expensive though. There are also data-only plans with Fido, Koodo, etc. that come with 3gb a month for $15. For someone who is near wifi a lot and is comfortable with voip, that might already be enough.

Even with wifi, Voip is not reliable. Once you've established a life in Canada, using a US number or Voip just makes it more difficult because there are things you'd want a reliable phone line for, especially when a kid is involved.

All these are just my personal opinions. I just don't think there is a universal solution. If you are comfortable with your set-up, by all means.
You bring up good points. I haven't really looked at other oprions; Tmobile One plan works for me as it does include Canada and Mexico.

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016

Thanks for sharing the experience.
I guess I'll just stick to Tmobile until my roaming is blocked.

Reactions: Alex54321

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017

Cheers
I had recruiters tell me that companies would question why I had a US phone number, and in at least two phone interviews, literally during the interview as I was sitting in Vancouver, the interviewer told me basically "You realize this call to a US number is costing me, right?" or "Sorry I was late, I couldn't dial internationally from my office line." So yes, there are risks especially dealing with employers.

Delivery services like Foodora, DoorDash and UberEats...often the delivery people do not have international calling so they simply won't call you. You may or may not actually get your food. If you live in an apartment/strata building with a door buzzer, some can't set it to call an American phone number since it's long distance--which could impact mail deliveries (UPS, FedEx, etc that need into the building).

I have Bell's plan that that allows unlimited talk/text to USA, as well as no roaming/extra charges when I'm in the USA, with 12GB of Data for 180$/month. I'm on wifi at work and home and could easily drop down to 4-6GB. Even today, I'm halfway through my billing cycle and have used 1.81GB of data.

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
I had recruiters tell me that companies would question why I had a US phone number, and in at least two phone interviews, literally during the interview as I was sitting in Vancouver, the interviewer told me basically "You realize this call to a US number is costing me, right?" or "Sorry I was late, I couldn't dial internationally from my office line." So yes, there are risks especially dealing with employers.

Delivery services like Foodora, DoorDash and UberEats...often the delivery people do not have international calling so they simply won't call you. You may or may not actually get your food. If you live in an apartment/strata building with a door buzzer, some can't set it to call an American phone number since it's long distance--which could impact mail deliveries (UPS, FedEx, etc that need into the building).

I have Bell's plan that that allows unlimited talk/text to USA, as well as no roaming/extra charges when I'm in the USA, with 12GB of Data for 180$/month. I'm on wifi at work and home and could easily drop down to 4-6GB. Even today, I'm halfway through my billing cycle and have used 1.81GB of data.
hmmm, I didn't realize some recruiters simply ignore a US number.
To the contrary of your observation, I was able to receive multiple interview related calls, receive delivery calls using DoorDash(I used DoorDash for the initial two weeks), and receive door buzzer requests from my condo building, with my current US number..............
But I would agree in the long term, a local number works better and is necessary.

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
Thanks for sharing the experience.
I guess I'll just stick to Tmobile until my roaming is blocked.
ok, so I thought it might be helpful for others for me to provide some update.
The roaming service for my Tmobile plan was cut off last week, due to the policy mentioned above by philly2013. I switched to Fido and ported my US number to Google Voice. So far it's working well.

sid1987

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......