+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Unless authorized prohibited from engaging in employment", for on-campus jobs.

danoc93

Jun 24, 2013
I just found out that I need a SIN number for on-campus jobs as well, but the process to get it is no different from the other ones.

So the problem is my job starts on July 13th and since I have never applied to a job in Canada before I was pretty ignorant about this.

My study permit states "Unless authorized, prohibited from engaging in employment in Canada". "Attendance at the University specified by the admission officer".

I know that I can work for the University without any work-permit, but I didn't know the study permit would need to include some different phrases in order to get the SIN.

Questions:

I am in Toronto, I am currently a U of T student. so, is there any way I can get the SIN number by just getting some letter from the University saying I am allowed to work there while I am a student? If so, what should I tell them I need?

-If that is not allowed and I need to request an amendment to my study permit, how long does the urgent processing take?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
normally before study permit allowed u to work , universities would give u a letter to get SIN for on campus job. talk to ur international students office they may give u a letter

danoc93

Jun 24, 2013
Does anybody know how long does urgent processing take?

I have to send the package tomorrow because apparently they won't let you get a SIN number unless your study permit is updated.

Josh21

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
It's going to take you a month, probably longer given how slow current processing is. My friend did it with urgent processing in May and got it in one month, the time is much slower now though.

dino_choc

Star Member
Jun 13, 2015
I don't if you have checked this yet.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/employers/contract.shtml

http://students.ubc.ca/enrolment/finances/financial-advice/taxes-international/sin

Generally, when you take all the required docs to any Service Canada location, they issue your SIN on the paper and card comes via mail which is 3-4 weeks time. However, you can use your paper-based SIN from the time after it's issued to you.

If you're currently in Toronto, you can just walk-in at 25 St. Clair West Service Canada location.

Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm

The shortest waiting times are:
Monday from 08:30 am to 10:00 am
Tuesday from 08:30 am to 10:00 am
Wednesday from 08:30 am to 10:00 am
Thursday from 08:30 am to 10:00 am
Friday from 08:30 am to 10:00 am