+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

University Professors

spa

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
Please tell me what I should indicate in my application. I used to teach at the university in my country. I had no Master's os PhD then. They don't require you to have Master's or Phd degree in order to teach in the university. What code should I use for my application? 4121? 4131?

Main duties of both 4121 and 4131 describe my job but 4131 doesn't say anything about university and 4121 requires PhD.

Did anyone have an experience with this kind of application?

Thanks,
Spa

dsenese

Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-01-2009
AOR Received.
11-02-2009
File Transfer...
03-06-2009
Med's Request
04-03-2010
Med's Done....
20-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-04-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2010
LANDED..........
29-05-2010
Since 4121 requires a PhD you can't choose that one.

4131 refers to teaching at a college or vocational program. If you taught at a post-secondary program, I would think this applies to you. What did you teach?

This is just my opinion - please verify information independently

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
Job requirements as indicated under NOC code definitions DO NOT apply for immigration purposes. However, my understanding is that you need to have at least a Master's degree to be called a "university professor". There are many university lecturers who have a Master's and are considered university professors. In your case, 4131 is more suitable I suppose.

pencilcut

Jan 18, 2009
you may apply under the 4131 as a college teacher. it says in the guide that the embassy " may" require you to present a masters degree. my interpretation of this is that if you're teaching basic education subjects like english they'll require a masters degree like most schools reuire. but if you're teaching major subjects like accounting, your bachelors degree is enough.

A

Albertagoverner

spa said:
Please tell me what I should indicate in my application. I used to teach at the university in my country. I had no Master's os PhD then. They don't require you to have Master's or Phd degree in order to teach in the university. What code should I use for my application? 4121? 4131?

Main duties of both 4121 and 4131 describe my job but 4131 doesn't say anything about university and 4121 requires PhD.

Did anyone have an experience with this kind of application?

Thanks,
Spa
Forget about your Country. They can't believe somebody without Master degree or Phd can be a professer. So first collect the evidence such as professional experience evaluation like foreign credentials from an approved agency like ""Trustforte Corporation in New York or WES in Toronto Canada. They will certify you on the evaluation that what was the institution and what you were. and with that evaluation you can apply or define yourself.

pencilcut

Jan 18, 2009
can anybody answer if canada requires a lawyer to have a master's degree to teach law in college?

or accountant a master's to teach accounting in college?

or a master plumber needs a masters degree to teach plumbing in trade school?

spa

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
Thanks guys for your replies.

I used to teach English at the university not college. My students were undegraduate students.
I had only Bachelor's degree then. They don't require you to have other degrees to be a teacher as long as you were a good student at the university. Then I got my MBA degree in the USA. But it was after. I can put 4131 but I worked at the university not college.

What's gonna happen if I put 4121 and they decide that I needed to have higher degree for that?

Albertagoverner, it's interesting. Is it a common procedure? Do we need to use it when we apply?

k1940b

Star Member
Dec 4, 2008
To be University Professor (NOC 4121), you should have Ph.D. and your appointment letter from the University must state the word "Professor". You will simply delay your application by rejection. You may choose NOC 4131 (college assistant) but duties stated in the application must be corresponding to NOC and your University must mention that.

spa

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
Do we need to indicate NOC code in the applications when we send them to Sydney? I didn't see any questions like that.

Thanks

Rickshawala

Jan 14, 2009
I applied under 4121 as university lecturer and i have been requested to submit documents.i have a masters degree and no phd with 17 yr ed.i think u should be treated as Teaching Assistant.it falls under 4122 which is not in 38 occupations.now to apply i think you need a masters degree.

thinker038

May 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/08/2009
Doc's Request.
04/05/2009
AOR Received.
14/09/2009
File Transfer...
30/06/2010
Med's Request
Not yet
Hi, Rickshawala,

So whats the progress on your immigration?

Did the CHC approved your case.

I have similar situation like yours that i have applied as University Professor and do not have a PhD.

Thanks,
FK.

Alhamra

Jul 18, 2009
Hi...I am the same Boat. i applied as an university Lecturer with Masters degree not Phd. on April 2009 Nova Scottia after eligibility review i submit my full documents on 3rd july 2009 at singapore visa office & waiting for reply. I am from Bangladesh & here 99% University Lecturer are Masters/Bachelor degree holder. since i have no Phd then what will be happened???........very warrid!!!!!!!!! I will be greatfull for any advice.

canadacanada

Jun 24, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buff
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
NS:May,09
Doc's Request.
Buff:June, 09
AOR Received.
Sept, 09 From Buffalo
File Transfer...
April, 2010
Med's Request
May,2010
Med's Done....
May 25, 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
June 22, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
June 28,2010
LANDED..........
July 23, 2010
Hi,

I was a Lecturer of Economics and I had Masters degree. Do I quaify to apply as 4131? I am not sure as my position was Lecturer of Economics...

any suggestions....

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
you should look at the duties and see if it fits the job that you did. Also compare the duties of college lecturer and university professor to your job and see which one fits you the best, if any.

eshaghbina

Jul 5, 2009
Dear Friends,

Salaam.

I have a question about the work experience letter.
I used the 4121 NOC code (University Professor). I'm asking the university about work experience letter. They gave me a letter which does not contain all details that CIC mentioned, e.g. main responsibilties & duties and the total annual salary plus benefits.
And one more problem. I should accompany the work letter with business card od the person who signed the letter, but there is not any kind of business card among the heads of university. So what should I do?

What's your suggestion to overcome this problem. Can you ask your lawyer about it (if any).
I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
E.B.