+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

University COVID 19 Plan Approved

Zr1911

Aug 16, 2020
Our university mailed us today and they informed us that their plan has been approved by the provincial government.

"Update for international students currently outside Canada:

The Government of Canada recently announced an update to travel restriction exemptions. This change, which is scheduled to take effect Oct. 20, 2020, will allow UCalgary international students with a valid study permit or a study permit approval to enter Canada. UCalgary's COVID-19 readiness plan has been approved by the provincial government.

This update applies to all international students, regardless of where they are travelling from or when their study permit was approved.

Students should not make any travel plans until they have met all requirements and received all necessary authorizations. Details about what is required will be updated on the Government of Canada travel exemptions website on or before Oct. 20, 2020.

The Government of Canada requires all students, and any family members accompanying them, arriving from an international location to quarantine for 14 days and monitor themselves for symptoms. Students must confirm their arrival with the university and follow UCalgary’s quarantine process for students.

If you have questions, you can contact UCalgary’s International Student Services team at issimmigration@ucalgary.ca.

Office of the Vice-Provost (Student Experience)"

Kruschev

Oct 11, 2019
Congratulations my friend! Did you University say anything about the plan? I mean things like will there be any assistance from universtiy to get you to where you should be quarantined and get you stuff like food/meds?

Kruschev

Oct 11, 2019
Nope they didn't said anything about this as we can choose the accomodation on our own and shared this document with us

http://em.ucalgary.ca/z01D0GK001jL8aKaOFE3N00
I saw this pdf. It's just a little bit contradictory that using public transportation is not allowed and university also won't give some assistance. I think this could be applied to most universities. May be more details will be released in the following days hopefully. It looks quite diffcult for us to arrive in the time like this without assistance from university.

Zr1911

Aug 16, 2020
I saw this pdf. It's just a little bit contradictory that using public transportation is not allowed and university also won't give some assistance. I think this could be applied to most universities. May be more details will be released in the following days hopefully. It looks quite diffcult for us to arrive in the time like this without assistance from university.
We can use cabs but ride sharing is forbidden unless he/she has arrived in canada with you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you don’t have the means to quarantine or study without a part-time job it is not a good time to come to Canada. You do need to prove that you have the financial means to support yourself to get approved for a study permit. There are many people still unemployed and most businesses are not hiring. I hope schools are very clear that those relying on part-time jobs may struggle finding employment at the moment.

Kruschev

Oct 11, 2019
If you don’t have the means to quarantine or study without a part-time job it is not a good time to come to Canada. You do need to prove that you have the financial means to support yourself to get approved for a study permit. There are many people still unemployed and most businesses are not hiring. I hope schools are very clear that those relying on part-time jobs may struggle finding employment at the moment.

I think you are right. It's definate not easy to find a part-time job now. But in my point of view, it looks when the boarder is open, it's required for international student to enter because there's no reason holding you back, even if you can't attend in person class. Because the pademic is not even an acceptable reseason for deferring in most universities. With pademic or not, we all need to prove we have enough funds to support ourselves. I am not sure if I am understanding it right.

Last edited: