+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unique Urgent Processing Citizenship Request

Desperate202

Jan 10, 2019
Hey All,

I’ve got a unique situation that I’d like the experts insights on. I’ve recently applied for Canadian citizenship urgent processing and I’m already a dual citizen (excluding Canadian).

My situation is that I work in the automotive industry and I’ve been advised by my boss that my company might start reducing its workforce due to economic downturn a few months back. So I started applying for positions in Ontario and Michigan. Given that there are much more jobs available in Michigan, I managed to get a job there (unfortunately similar jobs don’t exist in canada). My employer worked with me and I applied for work visa there after I submitted my Canadian citizenship application. To my employer’s lawyers surprise, my application got put into something called administrative processing after the visa got approved by the consul.

anyways, the application has been stuck at that stage since June of this year and my employers’ client are becoming impatient and the job offer might get rescinded. The worst part is that now my US business visa is expiring November 1st of this year, i won’t be able to go on business for my Canadian employer that’s trying to keep me by moving me to a different department that deals with the US (and that’s if he manages to get a head count due to the hiring and budget freeze!). You might just say… renew your visa. Well, that won’t happen as I won’t be issued any kind of US visa until my case is out of the administrative processing stage which could take a year to two in some cases… according to a congresswoman that was trying to move the process along and as my case gets sent to different agencies in the US for checks.

Due to being completely stuck and lost, my employers’ lawyers advised me to apply for urgent processing for my Canadian citizenship which I did last month. This will basically circumvent the consulate and the state department (where I’m stuck) and I can get TN visa at the boarder with a Canadian passport. Or be able to go to the US visa free if my current boss manages to get the budget needed for extra heads. As you can see, access to the US is crucial due to my work in the automotive industry and for American automakers in particular. I’d like to get your thoughts on the following:

- what are my chances for the UP request to be approved or denied?
- could this negatively affect my citizenship application?
- I received a weird auto reply a day after my request but nothing happened since then. Can you please let me know what does the response means?

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We’re experiencing a high volume of requests, so our response may be delayed. We’ll respond to your inquiry as soon as possible.

If you have an application in process, you can:

Our agents do not have access to more information about your case status or processing times than you can access online. The processing office will contact you if further information is needed.

For more information, you can:

We understand that timely access to client support is important. Thank you for your patience.

Please do not reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Carlinius

Mar 2, 2018
The part I don't understand is why would the Canadian government be interested in issuing you citizenship so that you could go work in the US and make money for them. If anything, I feel it hurts your case that you want to leave the country as soon as citizenship is provided. The Canadian government shares information with the US government and is probably already aware of your interest in working there.

Reactions: A_S and snoopyta

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey All,

I’ve got a unique situation that I’d like the experts insights on. I’ve recently applied for Canadian citizenship urgent processing and I’m already a dual citizen (excluding Canadian).

My situation is that I work in the automotive industry and I’ve been advised by my boss that my company might start reducing its workforce due to economic downturn a few months back. So I started applying for positions in Ontario and Michigan. Given that there are much more jobs available in Michigan, I managed to get a job there (unfortunately similar jobs don’t exist in canada). My employer worked with me and I applied for work visa there after I submitted my Canadian citizenship application. To my employer’s lawyers surprise, my application got put into something called administrative processing after the visa got approved by the consul.

anyways, the application has been stuck at that stage since June of this year and my employers’ client are becoming impatient and the job offer might get rescinded. The worst part is that now my US business visa is expiring November 1st of this year, i won’t be able to go on business for my Canadian employer that’s trying to keep me by moving me to a different department that deals with the US (and that’s if he manages to get a head count due to the hiring and budget freeze!). You might just say… renew your visa. Well, that won’t happen as I won’t be issued any kind of US visa until my case is out of the administrative processing stage which could take a year to two in some cases… according to a congresswoman that was trying to move the process along and as my case gets sent to different agencies in the US for checks.

Due to being completely stuck and lost, my employers’ lawyers advised me to apply for urgent processing for my Canadian citizenship which I did last month. This will basically circumvent the consulate and the state department (where I’m stuck) and I can get TN visa at the boarder with a Canadian passport. Or be able to go to the US visa free if my current boss manages to get the budget needed for extra heads. As you can see, access to the US is crucial due to my work in the automotive industry and for American automakers in particular. I’d like to get your thoughts on the following:

- what are my chances for the UP request to be approved or denied?
- could this negatively affect my citizenship application?
- I received a weird auto reply a day after my request but nothing happened since then. Can you please let me know what does the response means?

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We’re experiencing a high volume of requests, so our response may be delayed. We’ll respond to your inquiry as soon as possible.

If you have an application in process, you can:

Our agents do not have access to more information about your case status or processing times than you can access online. The processing office will contact you if further information is needed.

For more information, you can:

We understand that timely access to client support is important. Thank you for your patience.

Please do not reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- Generally speaking, IRCC won't expedite citizenship for situations where the reason is wanting to work outside of Canada. So I think it would be safest to assume the UP request will be denied.
- I don't think this will negatively impact your citizenship application. You should just expect normal (slow) processing times for your application.
- The auto reply is just an auto reply that is sent to everyone. You shouldn't read into that at all and that doesn't really tell you anything.

Reactions: snoopyta

Desperate202

Jan 10, 2019
The part I don't understand is why would the Canadian government be interested in issuing you citizenship so that you could go work in the US and make money for them. If anything, I feel it hurts your case that you want to leave the country as soon as citizenship is provided. The Canadian government shares information with the US government and is probably already aware of your interest in working there.
because many in my field live in Windsor and commute to Detroit so they’ll be taking more taxes from those people due to higher salaries and the currency exchange

as for the Canadian government knowing that I’m planning to work there or if I’m working, I can assure you that they would have no clue about it unless you’re a person of interest

However, they know because I’ve already sent them the job offer and I don’t care whether they know or not as I’m not doing anything wrong or against the law

Desperate202

Jan 10, 2019
- Generally speaking, IRCC won't expedite citizenship for situations where the reason is wanting to work outside of Canada. So I think it would be safest to assume the UP request will be denied.
- I don't think this will negatively impact your citizenship application. You should just expect normal (slow) processing times for your application.
- The auto reply is just an auto reply that is sent to everyone. You shouldn't read into that at all and that doesn't really tell you anything.
thanks a lot for your insights Scylla!