+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unique situation with study permit and visitor visa. Any help appreciated!!

SSK123

Star Member
Apr 26, 2017
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
07-04-2017 score- L 8.5 R 8.5 W 6.5 S 6.5
Hello all,

I have a unique situation to share. If anyone has any useful information about this, please please let me know.

My sister has a valid 10 year multiple entry visitor visa that was issued to her in 2018 before the biometric requirement was in place. She traveled to Canada once in 2018 and once in 2019 after the biometric requirement was in force. Even though she had not given her biometric before, the process was smooth and they did fingerprint scanning and photo at the airport at that time. She stayed in Canada for a month or so and went back to India.
Now, she has applied for study permit with her offer letter from University of Western for a Master degree winter intake. When she applied on IRCC website, she got the biometric letter within 48 hrs of application. However due to the unavailability of biometric appointments, the earliest date available is Dec 7. Now I understand that there is no chance her application will be approved before the course starts and she may have to defer the admission. But is there any chance that her biometrics are already in the system since she traveled to Canada twice? (once before the biometric requirement and once after). She does not have any paperwork stating that the biometrics were collected at the airport. However, she remembers giving fingerprints. Is there any way to get the information regarding this? Because if her biometrics are already in the system, then there is still a chance of her study permit being approved before the start of the course.
A web form with this query is already raised but it may be late to get a response from IRCC.

Looking to get any information from experts in the forums. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

Freecanman

Star Member
Oct 19, 2021
I also have a visitor visa. I got it before 2017 when biometrics weren’t necessary for Indians. I had to give my biometrics as well this October when I applied for a study permit.

do not worry though. VFS constantly is opening up new slots. I booked mine for Oct 7th on oct 4th. Just keep checking the site regularly

Freecanman

Star Member
Oct 19, 2021
Also if her biometrics were in the system, the website would automatically update it instead of sending a BIL

SSK123

Star Member
Apr 26, 2017
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
I also have a visitor visa. I got it before 2017 when biometrics weren’t necessary for Indians. I had to give my biometrics as well this October when I applied for a study permit.

do not worry though. VFS constantly is opening up new slots. I booked mine for Oct 7th on oct 4th. Just keep checking the site regularly
Thank for replying! May I ask which country did you submit your biometrics in? If it is India, which city?

SSK123

Star Member
Apr 26, 2017
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
Okay thanks!

Jaykame

Sep 29, 2021
Hi you have to give the official biometrics even if you enter mulitple times and they got your fingerprints and pic etc. Me and my brother got our visa in 2016 and 2017 respectively. We went to canada multiple times in 2016, 2018 and 2019 before applying for work permit/study permit and we still have to give biometrics.