+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unfair treatment to online applicants. Is there anything we can do?

seekingPR

Jun 12, 2019
I feel we were deceived by the Canadian government: asking us to apply online, only for them to completely ignore our applications in favor of paper ones. There are several of us here, is there anything we can do? Can we send massive emails to some politician that is not doing their job? Send massive emails to CBC?

We have to do something, we paid the $600 fee too, and we're getting a second or even third tier treatment. We, as taxed residents, are paying the salaries of those people ignoring our applications.

cara269

Mar 23, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FAM
I get people are frustrated with online applications time frame but did we complain when our PR application was in process ,the pandemic threw everything out of order, IRCC is doing everything they can .

• Haha
Reactions: noonnabi

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
I feel we were deceived by the Canadian government: asking us to apply online, only for them to completely ignore our applications in favor of paper ones. There are several of us here, is there anything we can do? Can we send massive emails to some politician that is not doing their job? Send massive emails to CBC?

We have to do something, we paid the $600 fee too, and we're getting a second or even third tier treatment. We, as taxed residents, are paying the salaries of those people ignoring our applications.
I'd just like to ask are you crazy? People who have applied in 2018, 2019 and even 2020 are still awaiting outcomes on their cases and thousands and thousands were delayed due to the pandemic. The fee I'd also like to add was paid by them....do you think it's fair that they wait more months or even years whilst online applicants jump the queue?!....please do me a favour and have a day off will yah!

Smsm73

Star Member
Feb 3, 2021
I'd just like to ask are you crazy? People who have applied in 2018, 2019 and even 2020 are still awaiting outcomes on their cases and thousands and thousands were delayed due to the pandemic. The fee I'd also like to add was paid by them....do you think it's fair that they wait more months or even years whilst online applicants jump the queue?!....please do me a favour and have a day off will yah!
Thanks for your post, by the way do you think it is fair that people applied in Feb 2022 by paper already did their oath ? Also kids attending schools in person from last year while IRCC still working from home because they may got Covid 19 ?

sahibo

Star Member
Jun 7, 2022

It's been 3 months since AOR and I can't even register for that damn citizenship tracker.

Without solid evidence (e.g. official documents that show IRCC prioritizing paper over online applicants), it's hard to complain to the press. Yes, our own Excel tracker shows that 2022 paper applicants are being prioritized, but this is not an official document. I'm as irritated as you are, but there's really nothing you can do without solid proof.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Mine is paper. 28 months already, still nothing.

Reactions: Acorn450 and A_S

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
I don't want to jump the line I just want online applicants to be processed the same time as paper applicants. There's been no single movement of any applicant that applied after Jan 2022. June 2022 applicants already have their test done and are just waiting for oath. It's completely unfair. They asked us to apply Online and have completely stopped processing online applications. Our only hope would be to contact the media to help us ask when they would resume attending to Online applications.
Any one who is angry should direct their frustrations to IRCC and not to other applicants who have legitimate cause for concern about their applications.

Reactions: saou17 and sahibo

rizwan150

Jan 16, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-04-2014
Doc's Request.
24-06-2014
Nomination.....
07-05-2014
Med's Request
26-06-2014 (Self MR + RPRF for both) & 31-07-2014 (Spouse MR),
Med's Done....
06-07-2014 (Self) & 18-08-2014 (Spouse)
Passport Req..
PPR-1 + PPR-2: 17-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2015, Passport Received: 17-03-2015
LANDED..........
26-05-2015
This is very frustrating, i am also in same boat like many people are suffering.

I have no issues if it is FIFO but if someone who applied in 2022 as paper applicant and got through, that is unfair to applicants who applied before that applicant either in 2019, 2020 or 2021.

Those people should be treated first but who knows how this IRCC system works but this is NOT FAIR...

Applicants would be happy if FAIRNESS is maintained in processing.. I don't think anyone would mind waiting if all others who applied in same time range, are also waiting. The only issue comes when IRCC starts prioritizing people who applied after you, that upsets.

I don't know if there is anyway, IRCC can be triggered for the unfair treatment they are doing. Which media would even care to bring this up

Reactions: saou17 and sahibo

Jakke

Star Member
Nov 6, 2021
Thanks for your post, by the way do you think it is fair that people applied in Feb 2022 by paper already did their oath ? Also kids attending schools in person from last year while IRCC still working from home because they may got Covid 19 ?
How much evidence do you actually have of Feb 2022 applicants already doing their oath?

atzquebec

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
I think there needs to be more transparency regarding the process of approving applicants, based on nationality, number of days spent in Canada, travel outside Canada and so on. No one know what the parameters are on how fast an applicant is processed. But I guess we will never know. If someone's file goes under the pile for no reason then its incompetence.

MattyTj

Mar 7, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think there needs to be more transparency regarding the process of approving applicants, based on nationality, number of days spent in Canada, travel outside Canada and so on. No one know what the parameters are on how fast an applicant is processed. But I guess we will never know. If someone's file goes under the pile for no reason then its incompetence.
I do agree that the government should maintain a simple stats page showing case breakdown by month and stage. What all of this is missing, for good, bad or indifference, is transparency. That would really help everyone know the basics and avoid speculation.

Reactions: noonnabi

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I feel we were deceived by the Canadian government: asking us to apply online . . .
The Canadian government REQUESTED you apply for citizenship and to do so using the online procedure? Was that a personal request to you?

I am aware that IRCC made online applications for citizenship AVAILABLE. Sorry, I am not buying that the Canadian government "asked" you to apply online, or asked you to apply for citizenship at all. Generally I don't refer to Americans for much of anything (other than grief and an ego-centric worldview), but I'll quote their current President on this one and call "malarkey."

And as others have pointed out, all of which is amply illustrated in processing timeline topics and related spreadsheets, scores and scores of applicants who applied before online applications even became available are still waiting.

Moreover, IRCC is currently reporting a 26 month timeline for processing citizenship applications, based on data from February to August this year. The vast majority of these were paper applications. The proposition that paper applications have been, to date, given priority processing over online applications is ludicrous. That is, again, "malarkey."

. . . by the way do you think it is fair that people applied in Feb 2022 by paper already did their oath ?
Are you seriously complaining about an isolated number of individuals (assuming their reporting is accurate, which is far from sure) getting what is clearly remarkably fast processing? Are you sure you did not apply for U.S. citizenship, given that's the place where everyone thinks they deserve to be at the front of line and tend to resent anyone who (for whatever reasons, by whatever chance) got to go first. You reference the very, very small number of applicants who report such fast processing in the February 2022 topic as if that somehow is evidence of a real discrepancy in processing timelines for the MANY THOUSANDS of applications made in February 2022, on top of the MANY TENS of THOUSANDS of applications made in the six months prior to that, and the MANY TENS of THOUSANDS of applications made since then.

Stuff happens. Sometimes, for some people, that is good stuff. No need to begrudge the few who have been fortunate enough to get what appears to be almost super-fast processing.

Also kids attending schools in person from last year while IRCC still working from home because they may got Covid 19 ?
Apart from the well-documented and unfortunate detrimental impact of trying to educate our youth through distance learning, more or less compelling the schools to reopen notwithstanding Covid-related risks, which illuminates near nothing about the efficacy of remote work by adults, kind of hard to follow your logic here. Are you saying that handling paper-based applications is easier than digital versions, and so is being done faster by IRCC personnel working remotely? That makes no sense. Or, is this just a general criticism and complaint aimed at IRCC, not really on topic in this thread?

The latter does lead to this:
I get people are frustrated with online applications time frame but did we complain when our PR application was in process ,the pandemic threw everything out of order, IRCC is doing everything they can .
Well, it seems rather obvious that IRCC fell way short of doing everything it could, and fell well short of taking reasonable steps to adapt to the pandemic as it unfolded. It does indeed appear that IRCC dropped the ball, rather badly, and has continued to be painfully slow adapting and catching up. A two plus year processing timeline speaks for itself, illustrating a failure to competently adjust. After all, the grant of citizenship is NOT discretionary. IRCC has a legislated mandate to process citizenship applications and grant citizenship.

I understand IRCC is a bureaucracy, one of Canada's biggest and most complex bureaucracies, and bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, which tends to fall well shy of efficient. So is the Canada Revenue Agency. Both subject to legislative mandates, performing essential government services. Their respective responses to the crisis created by the Covid-pandemic all too saliently exposes the scope of IRCC's failures.

But that's a different topic. In fact there is no shortage of other topics here for whining about IRCC's shortcomings (some real, too many too real, but many also exaggerated if not entirely bogus).

Re More Transparency:

There actually is a lot more data available. Takes some effort. Not all that easy to find, unless and until one learns their way around the government's Open Data information and records. And sorting through the information once one has found the relevant datasets tends to be real work. But there's a lot there. Beyond that there is more to be found utilizing the ATI process; this too can be confusing, frustrating, inconvenient, and unless and until one learns the ropes, difficult; always time consuming. But there is a lot of data available for those who are actually interested, those willing to wander deep into the weeds.

Those who need to be spoon-fed, and those with text-or-twitter attention spans, well, you are probably stuck with whining into the void.

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
Slow clap to this gentleman...

The Canadian government REQUESTED you apply for citizenship and to do so using the online procedure? Was that a personal request to you?

I am aware that IRCC made online applications for citizenship AVAILABLE. Sorry, I am not buying that the Canadian government "asked" you to apply online, or asked you to apply for citizenship at all. Generally I don't refer to Americans for much of anything (other than grief and an ego-centric worldview), but I'll quote their current President on this one and call "malarkey."

And as others have pointed out, all of which is amply illustrated in processing timeline topics and related spreadsheets, scores and scores of applicants who applied before online applications even became available are still waiting.

Moreover, IRCC is currently reporting a 26 month timeline for processing citizenship applications, based on data from February to August this year. The vast majority of these were paper applications. The proposition that paper applications have been, to date, given priority processing over online applications is ludicrous. That is, again, "malarkey."

Are you seriously complaining about an isolated number of individuals (assuming their reporting is accurate, which is far from sure) getting what is clearly remarkably fast processing? Are you sure you did not apply for U.S. citizenship, given that's the place where everyone thinks they deserve to be at the front of line and tend to resent anyone who (for whatever reasons, by whatever chance) got to go first. You reference the very, very small number of applicants who report such fast processing in the February 2022 topic as if that somehow is evidence of a real discrepancy in processing timelines for the MANY THOUSANDS of applications made in February 2022, on top of the MANY TENS of THOUSANDS of applications made in the six months prior to that, and the MANY TENS of THOUSANDS of applications made since then.

Stuff happens. Sometimes, for some people, that is good stuff. No need to begrudge the few who have been fortunate enough to get what appears to be almost super-fast processing.

Apart from the well-documented and unfortunate detrimental impact of trying to educate our youth through distance learning, more or less compelling the schools to reopen notwithstanding Covid-related risks, which illuminates near nothing about the efficacy of remote work by adults, kind of hard to follow your logic here. Are you saying that handling paper-based applications is easier than digital versions, and so is being done faster by IRCC personnel working remotely? That makes no sense. Or, is this just a general criticism and complaint aimed at IRCC, not really on topic in this thread?

Well, it seems rather obvious that IRCC fell way short of doing everything it could, and fell well short of taking reasonable steps to adapt to the pandemic as it unfolded. It does indeed appear that IRCC dropped the ball, rather badly, and has continued to be painfully slow adapting and catching up. A two plus year processing timeline speaks for itself, illustrating a failure to competently adjust. After all, the grant of citizenship is NOT discretionary. IRCC has a legislated mandate to process citizenship applications and grant citizenship.

I understand IRCC is a bureaucracy, one of Canada's biggest and most complex bureaucracies, and bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, which tends to fall well shy of efficient. So is the Canada Revenue Agency. Both subject to legislative mandates, performing essential government services. Their respective responses to the crisis created by the Covid-pandemic all too saliently exposes the scope of IRCC's failures.

But that's a different topic. In fact there is no shortage of other topics here for whining about IRCC's shortcomings (some real, too many too real, but many also exaggerated if not entirely bogus).

Re More Transparency:

There actually is a lot more data available. Takes some effort. Not all that easy to find, unless and until one learns their way around the government's Open Data information and records. And sorting through the information once one has found the relevant datasets tends to be real work. But there's a lot there. Beyond that there is more to be found utilizing the ATI process; this too can be confusing, frustrating, inconvenient, and unless and until one learns the ropes, difficult; always time consuming. But there is a lot of data available for those who are actually interested, those willing to wander deep into the weeds.

Those who need to be spoon-fed, and those with text-or-twitter attention spans, well, you are probably stuck with whining into the void.

Reactions: A_S

medwiz

May 25, 2014

Re More Transparency:

Well said...

Bottom line, being frustrated and annoyed at how slow IRCC are moving along is one thing... resenting other applicants for having better luck is just silly