+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unemployed/retired father rejected twice

erikap03

Feb 15, 2018
Philippines
Hi! Newbie here. Im applying in behalf of my dad. He's invited to canada by my uncle/his brother (canadian citizen) to attend the wedding of my cousin. My dad has been rejected twice due to unemployment. He retired in 2003 and never looked for employment since.Im planning to submit the following support documents this time:

1. Affidavit of support from my uncle & invitation letter
2. Affidavit of support from me saying i will support his finances
3. Justification letter of my dad with points such as:
a. He has travelled to asian countries for vacation and has returnes on time
b. He is married. He needs to return to my mom after the visit.
c. He has joint bank account with my mom. They also have conjugal land and vehicle assests named under my mom. All his money after retirement were used to buy property.
d. I am an only child. I am now married and no one will take care of my mom but him
e. My mom and I are already self supporting. He does not need to work to support anyone in our small family. My mom will be staying behind since she has work. It will just be me and my dad who will travel.
4. All of my work and financial docs- tax forms, cert of employment, bank statement, approved leave form
5. Travel itinerary and wedding invitation

Can anyone here help me assess my dad's chances for this third application? Thanks!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

IMO, the new set of documents don't make for a solid application. You will need to rework on it. Don't submit these documents.

Hi! Newbie here. Im applying in behalf of my dad. He's invited to canada by my uncle/his brother (canadian citizen) to attend the wedding of my cousin. My dad has been rejected twice due to unemployment. He retired in 2003 and never looked for employment since.
How old is your dad? In what work area was he previously employed?

When was he refused previously? And what were the purposes of visit for those TRV applications? Has been able to overcome those refusal reasons?

Have you been approved for a TRV?

1. Affidavit of support from my uncle & invitation letter
Copies of your uncle's immigration status + his financial documents (if he wishes to provide them).

Copies of your dad and uncle's birth certificates/any government documents to prove they are related.

2. Affidavit of support from me saying i will support his finances
You can purchase Forex travellers cards in your dad's name (if available in your country) and include the purchase receipts

3. Justification letter of my dad with points such as:
a. He has travelled to asian countries for vacation and has returnes on time
These countries won't count as travel history, especially if these were countries like UAE, Singapore, Maldives, Thailand.... basically, tourist-friendly countries.

Previous travel to say the US, UK, EU, Australia, NZ, Japan, etc would help.

b. He is married. He needs to return to my mom after the visit.
As a family tie, yes, this would help.

Your dad must include a copy of his marriage certificate + evidence that he/your mom/your sister live at the same address.

c. He has joint bank account with my mom.
He is not contributing to this bank balance. It won't help as a financial tie.

BTW if he has adequate bank balance in this joint bank account, he could use those funds to pay for his visit and his plane tickets. Your mom would need to provide a letter of financial support + she can authorize/allow him to use the funds in the joint bank account.

IMO, this would be far better than you financially supporting his visit.

They also have conjugal land and vehicle assests named under my mom. All his money after retirement were used to buy property.
This will not help as a reason to return because this land and vehicles are owned by your mom even though your dad paid for it.

d. I am an only child. I am now married and no one will take care of my mom but him
As your mom is employed + has finances of her own, this explanation won't work because she is not dependent on your dad either financially or for her well-being.

e. My mom and I are already self supporting. He does not need to work to support anyone in our small family. My mom will be staying behind since she has work. It will just be me and my dad who will travel.
It won't work for the reason I have mentioned for the previous point.

In fact, stating this fact would make your family's lack of dependence on your dad even more obvious (Read: 'He does not need to work to support anyone in our small family')

4. All of my work and financial docs- tax forms, cert of employment, bank statement, approved leave form
Perfect. Do include any financial investments owned by you or your dad, especially liquid finances/can be easily liquidated, if required.

You must also include your birth certificate.

5. Travel itinerary and wedding invitation
Do include other evidence for the wedding.... booking receipts for the venue, florist, etc etc

Can anyone here help me assess my dad's chances for this third application? Thanks!
Quite honestly, IMO, your dad's chances of a TRV approval are low.

That's because he is not working + no financial resources of his own + no previous travel history + no movable/immovable assets owned by him + no other compelling reason to return to his home country + he must prove that he has overcome the previous refusal reasons

Cheers

Last edited:

erikap03

Feb 15, 2018
Philippines
How old is your dad? In what work area was he previously employed?
My dad is 54 years old. He worked at a telephone company as a linesman.

When was he refused previously? And what were the purposes of visit for those TRV applications? Has been able to overcome those refusal reasons?

Have you been approved for a TRV?
First application was refused Jan 18 due to: travel history, family ties, purpose of visit, employment, personal assets
Second application was refused Feb 13 due to- travel history, employment, personal assets ( so I guess they were okay with family ties, purpose of visit)

Yes I have been approved a TRV.

In fact, stating this fact would make your family's lack of dependence on your dad even more obvious (Read: 'He does not need to work to support anyone in our small family')
Can't this be interpreted though that he will not be overstaying and/or working in Canada precisely because he does not need to look for a job to support anyone? We just want to show that there is no way my dad would overstay. Or maybe you have a better way of stating this?

So in a nutshell, does this mean there is no way an unemployed person can enter Canada? Maybe you can suggest things that can strengthen his case? Looking for a job though is not an option for him. Business maybe. Any tips?

Would you suggest transferring ownership of their house would help?

Your suggestions can probably save us application fess. :)

Many thanks!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Can't this be interpreted though that he will not be overstaying and/or working in Canada precisely because he does not need to look for a job to support anyone? We just want to show that there is no way my dad would overstay. Or maybe you have a better way of stating this?
In the visa officer's point of view, every TRV applicant intends to overstay in Canada unless he/she proves otherwise. That's why his being jobless means he is more likely to overstay in Canada.

It's not that unemployed people have no chance of getting a TRV...it's just going to be a lot harder to prove, especially without too many savings, assets, or a travel history. Tough to say what might help you...I think what you listed in your first post is already the extent of what applicants like your dad can submit. A very few people get lucky in similar circumstances, but applying for a third time might not be a good idea.

Reactions: erikap03

erikap03

Feb 15, 2018
Philippines
In the visa officer's point of view, every TRV applicant intends to overstay in Canada unless he/she proves otherwise. That's why his being jobless means he is more likely to overstay in Canada.

It's not that unemployed people have no chance of getting a TRV...it's just going to be a lot harder to prove, especially without too many savings, assets, or a travel history. Tough to say what might help you...I think what you listed in your first post is already the extent of what applicants like your dad can submit. A very few people get lucky in similar circumstances, but applying for a third time might not be a good idea.
Thanks and on that note, maybe we'll just skip the third try and focus more on strengthening his case. Thanks again!