Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I won’t. We decided I should stay a longer time, because we’re not sure how long is going to takes his process. And because we didn’t feel right just to get married and leave. But the only reason that I’m here is just for him. I’m not planning to stay. My family, my whole life is in Canada. And my only purpose is have my husband with me.
My only concern is if I’ll have any issue returning to Canada after being out for a long period. But this is my first and last time.
You are a Canadian citizen so will have no problems returning to Canada.

Since you will be banned form re-entering the US for some time, just be prepared that you may be separated from your spouse for well over 1 year while you put together the PR app and wait for it to process. In hindsight you could have submitted the PR app some time ago while you were living together in the US, to get the process started.

No matter how strong you make your app, it's entirely at the discretion of visa officer reviewing it if they decide to request an interview or not, and if so where that interview will be held.

Reactions: scylla

jennhm

Feb 19, 2017
Brandon, MB
Yes - you need to dedicate time to researching the application process to make sure you understand what's required and can put together a complete application package. If you aren't comfortable doing this on your own, it may be a good idea to hire an immigration lawyer to help you - although expect this option will cost you a few thousand dollars.

Process here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp
Yes, I’ve already done some research and is more than $4K. But if that’s what you suggest, I’ll have to pay. Because I don’t want to mess up anything.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, I’ve already done some research and is more than $4K. But if that’s what you suggest, I’ll have to pay. Because I don’t want to mess up anything.
I'm not suggesting you use a lawyer. That's entirely up to you. What I'm saying is that you will either have to do quite a bit of research and reading yourself (if you want to do it without a lawyer) or you'll have to pay for legal advice.

jennhm

Feb 19, 2017
Brandon, MB
You are a Canadian citizen so will have no problems returning to Canada.

Since you will be banned form re-entering the US for some time, just be prepared that you may be separated from your spouse for well over 1 year while you put together the PR app and wait for it to process. In hindsight you could have submitted the PR app some time ago while you were living together in the US, to get the process started.

No matter how strong you make your app, it's entirely at the discretion of visa officer reviewing it if they decide to request an interview or not, and if so where that interview will be held.
I didn’t know I could start the process from here. I thought I should be in Canada to apply. Since I believed if I was away his application would be rejected. And that was another reason why I stayed because I knew that process take quite a while.

jennhm

Feb 19, 2017
Brandon, MB
I'm not suggesting you use a lawyer. That's entirely up to you. What I'm saying is that you will either have to do quite a bit of research and reading yourself (if you want to do it without a lawyer) or you'll have to pay for legal advice.
Oh ok, Well, the mayor's secretary where I live. She offered to check that my application is in order before I sent it.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Oh ok, Well, the mayor's secretary where I live. She offered to check that my application is in order before I sent it.
No, only PRs must be living in Canada to sponsor a spouse. Canadian citizens can be living anywhere in the world, they only need to show proof they will actually move to Canada after the application is approved.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I wouldn't rely on her and wouldn't recommend that. We've seen lots of examples on this forum where government officials don't actually have a correct understanding of the application process (unless they work directly for IRCC) and provide wrong advice.

jennhm

Feb 19, 2017
Brandon, MB
No, only PRs must be living in Canada to sponsor a spouse. Canadian citizens can be living anywhere in the world, they only need to show proof they will actually move to Canada after the application is approved.
Omg!!! I should have asked long time ago.

jennhm

Feb 19, 2017
Brandon, MB
I wouldn't rely on her and wouldn't recommend that. We've seen lots of examples on this forum where government officials don't actually have a correct understanding of the application process (unless they work directly for IRCC) and provide wrong advice.
Really? Ok, I’m glad that I mentioned it. Because I was confident that was a good thing to do.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Omg!!! I should have asked long time ago.
At least your app will be stronger now that you've lived together so long.