+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Undisclosed Marriage for PA

okiprec

Apr 13, 2023
So let's be clear - what did she say and did she repeat the lie in that interview?
My wife was consistent and denied previous common law relationships, the officer asked about previous common law relationships but not specifically about marriages. Semantics I know.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
My wife was consistent and denied previous common law relationships, the officer asked about previous common law relationships but not specifically about marriages. Semantics I know.
She’s just digging that proverbial immigration hole ,deeper & deeper isn’t she ?

If she lied in any way , just a shot in the dark , I wouldn’t quite say that the interview was a success.
I’d be asking her if there’s any other “ insignificant “ things she’d like to tell you at this time. Like NOW’S the time to show all her cards .
A marriage is a MARRIAGE. Insignificant or not , it’s STILL a marriage

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyingfast

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
She’s just digging that proverbial immigration hole ,deeper & deeper isn’t she ?

If she lied in any way , just a shot in the dark , I wouldn’t quite say that the interview was a success.
I’d be asking her if there’s any other “ insignificant “ things she’d like to tell you at this time. Like NOW’S the time to show all her cards .
A marriage is a MARRIAGE. Insignificant or not , it’s STILL a marriage
My previous marriage (In Canada to another Canadian) lasted just weeks. Long story short, we separated 4 weeks after we got married. I was worried I would get drilled by IRCC, so I provided a detailed letter of explanation as to what happened in my short-lived marriage, and I didn't have any issues with my application and process. Life happens, and it's best to just be honest.

Reactions: YVR123

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So this makes me lean more towards speak to lawyer immediately and consider withdrawing (if lawyer agrees). It seems to me that subsequent app with explanation that withdrew because had not intended to withhold information might be quite defnswible. But to you to decide (with counsel).

Of course, there is a possibility that IRCC will not discover anything - just that the consequences are potentially severe if they do.

okiprec

Apr 13, 2023
I am looking for a lawyer to consult. It was never her intention to withhold this information but she is trying to block out most of her life living there and this was included.

I would have thought that Colombia would be a country with a competent, centralized civil registry where any domestic marriages would be shown when one presents app to IRCC.
Yes this is how she discovered there is still a record of marriage even with a divorce, National online registry. I would be surprised if the background check did not find this record.

The reason I am leaning towards writing a letter to the IRCC is because my wife had a good rapport with the IRCC officer. We can appeal potentially to her compassion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyingfast

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
I am looking for a lawyer to consult. It was never her intention to withhold this information but she is trying to block out most of her life living there and this was included.

Yes this is how she discovered there is still a record of marriage even with a divorce, National online registry. I would be surprised if the background check did not find this record.

The reason I am leaning towards writing a letter to the IRCC is because my wife had a good rapport with the IRCC officer. We can appeal potentially to her compassion.
This is most definitely NOT a do it yourself situation. Get a lawyer.

As for the rapport... Consider that it could be an interrogation technique to loosen up interviewees to try to get them to let their guard down. Don't risk worsening a problem on "good rapport"

okiprec

Apr 13, 2023
The owners of this forum are immigration lawyers. Make sure you use a lawyer, who specializes in immigration law.
That's what I am going to do, I am very impressed with this forum and will likely call today. On another note how does this PSAC strike affect outland applications, if the strike goes forward on Wednesday?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
That's what I am going to do, I am very impressed with this forum and will likely call today. On another note how does this PSAC strike affect outland applications, if the strike goes forward on Wednesday?
While we await details, assume that almost all non-emergency stuff will be held up until strike resolved. The relatively few staff that are not covered or exempted will likely not be sufficient to do much except urgent - and what is considered 'urgent' will be very limited.

Reactions: Buletruck

okiprec

Apr 13, 2023
The owners of this forum are immigration lawyers. Make sure you use a lawyer, who specializes in immigration law.
Well it turns out Cohen Immigration Law does not take on current applications only new ones from the start. The steered me towards Mario Bellissimo law firm in Toronto.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Worst case scenario IRCC may be preparing to issue a five year ban against your spouse. I would personally notify them of the past marriage asap. If a five year ban is issued, it will be justified and there will be no way to overturn it.