+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Understanding the student visa approval methodology

orwell46

Apr 29, 2020
While going through several posts on student visa refusals, I want to fully understand the implication of the following reason for refusal which seems to be fairly common (copied and pasted below from a thread)

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit

What does the visa officer mean by the above? Once a study permit and PGWP expires and let's say the person in question no longer has further legal status to remain in Canada, does he not have to leave Canada regardless of what he wants? Is there a lot of visa overstay which prompts the VO to exercise caution over the possible intent of a prospective student?

Moreover, I also gather that the possible intent of wanting to qualify subsequently for PR (after having completed a valid and paid course of study and possibly also worked and qualified under a skilled program) is held against a prospective student. If that is correct, I don't see any logic in it given that many people take the study route to eventually qualify for PR under CEC class. Even further, it's possible that one may have had all the intention to return to one's home country at the end of study, only to subsequently change his mind to endeavor to work and be eligible for PR, all legally of course.

The whole process seems to have more subjectivity than it should. Of course, the VO has all the right to deny an application if the applicant could pose a security risk, be potentially insolvent or even seem lacking in academic potential, but for those who apply for and are accepted into accredited programs by rated universities, this whole game of trying to prove intent is baffling in my opinion.

It would be great if someone could shed some light on this

Reactions: Neelam_Thuls

Shaild

Oct 17, 2019
The process is very subjective and extremely flawed from what I can see. They can do so many things to make this process simpler and also fair but guess the people running the show are baby boomers who don't like change. I still fail to understand how they think a person with years of experience and education will decide to give everything away and stay illegally on cold streets of Canada.

We can rant all we want but unfortunately nothing is ever going to change and we need to work around the system to give the VO what they want.