+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Understanding OHIP and Ontario Residency

Jul 28, 2022
From the ohip website:

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary residence

I was wondering if anyone could shed light on:

1. what it means to be living in the province?
2. making Ontario my primary residence

I'm interested in understanding these from the context of visiting Ontario and becoming a PR.

Jul 28, 2022
1) you own or rent property in ontario
2) you live in Ontario at least 153 days in a year.
Does that 153 day period include living in Ontario on a visitor visa?

So if I receive my PR 3 months after arriving in Ontario on a visitor visa and leave after 3 months of getting the PR, do I meet the minimum requirements of 153 days in the first 6 months to retain my OHIP status?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Does that 153 day period include living in Ontario on a visitor visa?

So if I receive my PR 3 months after arriving in Ontario on a visitor visa and leave after 3 months of getting the PR, do I meet the minimum requirements of 153 days in the first 6 months to retain my OHIP status?
The 153 days needs to be after you qualify for OHIP.

So no, the scenario you'described won't work.

Jul 28, 2022
The 153 days needs to be after you qualify for OHIP.

So no, the scenario you'described won't work.
Do you have a link/document/memo that states that it needs to be after you apply/qualify for OHIP?

My understanding from the website is that it is 153 after we start living in the province.

Even the website mentions
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
It specifically mentions 153 days after a person begins living in the province.
Living in the province is not the same as qualifying for OHIP, no?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you have a link/document/memo that states that it needs to be after you apply/qualify for OHIP?

My understanding from the website is that it is 153 after we start living in the province.

It's the "being living in the province" bit. OHIP doesn't classify visitors as living in the province. They are only visiting temporarily. I will see if I can find a link for this. However this is what my husband was specifically told (he had been in Canada as a visitor for most of the previous two years). They told him he wasn't classified as residing for OHIP purposes and that clock didn't start until landing / PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Clock always starts when you actually qualify for OHIP.

Jul 28, 2022
It's the "being living in the province" bit. OHIP doesn't classify visitors as living in the province. They are only visiting temporarily. I will see if I can find a link for this. However this is what my husband was specifically told (he had been in Canada as a visitor for most of the previous two years). They told him he wasn't classified as residing for OHIP purposes and that clock didn't start until landing / PR.
In your case, did your husband apply for PR and come in as a visitor so he can start settling down in the province? That would be the case for me.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In your case, did your husband apply for PR and come in as a visitor so he can start settling down in the province? That would be the case for me.
My husband received PR through spousal sponsorship. He had already been effectively been living in Canada (as a visitor) for the two years at time time he became a PR. However the OHIP people told him that despite this, the pre-PR days wouldn't be considered for the 153 day rule.

Jul 28, 2022
My husband received PR through spousal sponsorship. He had already been effectively been living in Canada (as a visitor) for the two years at time time he became a PR. However the OHIP people told him that despite this, the pre-PR days wouldn't be considered for the 153 day rule.
I am looking at the form required to be filled:
https://forms.mgcs.gov.on.ca/en/dataset/014-0265-82

There are only three pertinent questions:
1. When did you arrive in Ontario
2. When did you take up permanent residence in Ontario
3. How long do you plan to live in Ontario - permanently/temporarily?

I really think Q2 requires clarification on who is considered a permanent resident of Ontario.
Someone replied to that above as owning/renting property and living 153 days in a year in Ontario. But i think there might be a bit more to it.

It could be that your husband was, and I am, eligible based on that more clear definition.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
From the requirements, it talks about physical presence after living in Ontario when counting days. It does not talk about qualification or application to OHIP from when the days are counted.
The instructions may not be clear then but in practice counting the days starts when you qualify to apply for OHIP. Wouldn’t make any sense to count time when you were a visitor for example when you didn’t qualify to apply for OHIP or any form of provincial coverage. Based on what you posted it actually does specify when you qualified for PR so although it may not spell out for applicants that counting starts at PR date or date where you start legally working and can prove your contract is over 6 months and full time for example, it actually does.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am looking at the form required to be filled:
https://forms.mgcs.gov.on.ca/en/dataset/014-0265-82

There are only three pertinent questions:
1. When did you arrive in Ontario
2. When did you take up permanent residence in Ontario
3. How long do you plan to live in Ontario - permanently/temporarily?

I really think Q2 requires clarification on who is considered a permanent resident of Ontario.
Someone replied to that above as owning/renting property and living 153 days in a year in Ontario. But i think there might be a bit more to it.

It could be that your husband was, and I am, eligible based on that more clear definition.
The Ontario government has specified what is required to qualify for OHIP and if you aren’t going to be able to meet the requirements they expect you not to sign up for a service that you don’t qualify for. The questionnaire specifis when you you will become a PR for good reason. Ot asks when you arrived In Pntario for various reasons because in some cases you do qualify for PHAiP right away for example if you have been working in another province and qualified for their provincial health coverage or worked full-time in Ontario for over 6 months so qualified for OHIP. No visitor has their 3 month waiting period waived unless it is due to covid where Ontario has temporarily suspended the 3 months. You can doublecheck with the OHIP offices whether the 3 months as a visitor before he became a PR can count towards the 3 months wait period (when it returns) but I assure you it doesn’t. The 3 month wait period is in place for all new PRs so that they aren’t seeking out medical care right upon arrival and the primary goal is not to seek medical care whether during their first arrival or subsequent arrivals if they have not met the residency requirements to retain their PR. There are a few exceptions but after your first year in Ontario you must stay in Ontario for over 5months or you must reapplyfor OHIP even if you have a valid health Card. If you don’t meet the residency obligation your file can be audited and you can be asked to pay back any services you have used many years later. You should be purchasing a 3 months travel medical insurance plan if the 3 month wait period has returned.