+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Undergoing Legal Name change(middle name) because of marriage (Philippines)

pelipeli2

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IamAlbertan said:
The fourth name you have which was truncated is because they have limited space in their system that's why our name was shortened. It happened to me too.

Why don't you use your name in your AB identificaitons and then do the name change when you get your citizenship.
yes that is my best option right now. Problem is it won't match my Philippine Passport, but I'll provide an explanation why this is so (that in the Philippines, middle names automatically change to your maiden surname), and I am hoping they accept that and they give more weight on the Alberta IDs anyway rather than Philippine Passport.

I told the CIC agent I talked to this morning regarding this option and she said it COULD work, but ultimately it depends on the officer who will process my application if he/she will accept this or request a legal name change.

pelipeli2

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just an update.

I think I've come to a solution.. Keep my middle name, and have my surname changed to a hyphenated surname (which I can do with only a marriage certificate) on my Alberta ID's.

so my name on my citizenship application will be CHRIS ANNE GO CHU-LEE. This way, my name will still be in its "correct" form, and I don't have to do a Legal Name Change.

It is still not gonna match my Philippine passport though, but I'll just explain the way middle names work in the Philippines, and hoping that they accept that. Anyway, when I become a Canadian citizenship, the Philippine passport won't mean anything anyway coz I wont be keeping my Philippine citizenship.

Only thing is, I have to wait for 1-2 weeks for my new Alberta ID's to arrive (because I had them changed yesterday to CHRIS ANNE GO LEE) and then have them changed again to the hyphenated surname.

Screenager

May 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pelipeli2 said:
So in the midst of gathering my documents for citizenship application, and wanting to start using my married name already, I had to have my Alberta ID's changed first.
Changing maiden surname to a married surname- shouldn't be a problem right? Right. This was easy.

Problem now is my middle name. You see, in the Philippines, your middle name is your mother's maiden surname. And when you get married, your maiden name automatically becomes your middle name.
To illustrate, when I was single, my name is CHRIS ANNE GO CHU
First name: CHRIS ANNE
Middle name (mother's maiden surname): GO
Last name: CHU
I was single when I landed as an immigrant. Note that on the immigration application forms, there is no space for "middle name". It is just GIVEN NAME and SURNAME.
So my immigration, landing papers and PR Card shows:
Given name: CHRIS ANNE GO
Surname: CHU

Now, fast forward to now that I am married, and have renewed my Philippine Passport , it shows:
First name: CHRIS ANNE
Middle name (now MY maiden surname): CHU
Last name(husband's surname): LEE

And now I want my name to be CHRIS ANNE CHU LEE, on my ID's and Citizenship application
Apparently, this is not possible. I went to the registry and was told I can only change my surname but not my middle name as middle names in Canada don't automatically change by marriage as it does in the Philippines.
So now my Alberta ID's will read CHRIS ANNE GO LEE
And my Philippine passport reads CHRIS ANNE CHU LEE

And if I want my middle name changed, I should undergo LEGAL NAME CHANGE.

I'm not sure what to do. Sure I can do legal name change just to set things straight and make things right once and for all. Hopefully I will be able to finish this and send my citizenship application before that new law passes.
Or I can proceed applying but my passport and Alberta ID's wont match and I'm not sure if CIC will even allow that.

Help! has anyone experienced this?

Thank you, I would appreciate insights and comments
Something similar.
I want to drop a word from my Given name. Apparantly its simple and straight forward.
My passport had 2 words for my first name and one word for surname.

Suppose: Given: A B, Surname: C
currently it shows ABC on my passport.

I want it to be AC. because all other documents including citizenship certificate, SIN etc have AC as my name.

They say its simple.
Read this:
https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5801&title=canadian-passport-name-related-questions

pedropil

Dec 2, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Case Processing Centre - Mississauga, Ontario
App. Filed.......
16-05-2016
AOR Received.
09-06-2016
Med's Request
18-04-2017
Med's Done....
18-05-2017
Interview........
06-07-2017
LANDED..........
06-07-2017
Hello guys,

If all of you still here.

Im in the same situation.

Name before marriage:

First Name: Maria
Second Name: Leonora
Middle Name: Balagtas
Last Name: Soriano

Name After Marriage:

First Name: Maria
Second Name: Leonora
Middle Name: Soriano
Last Name: Andal (Husbands Last name i adopt)

In this new name, The Provincial Drivers license, Health Card, Bank Institution, Billings and SIN card name info.
They all accepted my new name showing my marriage certificate.

From Maria Leonora Balagtas Soriano to Maria Leonora Soriano Andal.

Base on Provincial vital stats MB -

based on their Guide for getting married it clearly stated that once you get married or after your marriage ceremony you can choose to:
" assume your spouse's surname and retain your present surname as middle name"

From the CIC PR Card renewal guide in legal change name-

*Legal Change of Name

Consult the information below to determine what supporting document(s) must be submitted with your application.

If your present name is different from the name printed on your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688), you must submit supporting legal documentation as proof of your name change in addition to supporting identity documents as requested in section 3 of Step 1.

Supporting legal documentation may include:

a copy of a legal change of name document, court order, adoption order issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada, or a marriage certificate, divorce decree, registration, declaration of union, revocation of declaration or annulment of union issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada, showing your new name, unless you have been married in and are currently a resident of Quebec;

if you are a permanent resident who changed their name outside of Canada, provide a foreign passport or other national authoritative document that has been amended to reflect the new name, and an official document linking the old and new names.

If the change of name was already approved in a previous permanent resident card application, include a photocopy of your last permanent resident card.
Important information: If you have had a legal name change, you must include a copy of your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) with this application.

SECTION 3 of STEP 1.

3. One (1) secondary identity document
A copy of one of the following:

• your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) or
your valid provincial driver’s license, or
• your valid provincial photo-identity card, or
• your valid student card issued from a provincially accredited college or university

Format: Clear and legible photocopy

My questions is: Can i show these Drivers License, Health card and SIN name updated info to CIC as a legal name changed? together with marriage certificate in renewing of my PR card. Because i want it to be updated as i am married now.

Thank you

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
Can you still travel even though your passport is different from your PR card?
Yes you can. I traveled to the USA, with my passport under my married name and my PR card under my maiden name. No problem.

bhingz

Nov 26, 2018
Yes you can. I traveled to the USA, with my passport under my married name and my PR card under my maiden name. No problem.
im goin on a trip to manila ..im worried that the immigration will hold me. did u show your marriage certificate??thank for your help

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
im goin on a trip to manila ..im worried that the immigration will hold me. did u show your marriage certificate??thank for your help
When I traveled to the US, they did not ask me anything. Just my passport and PR card. Though I brought my marriage certificate too.

Just bring everything- marriage cert, ID's as proof that you are you. The aunt of my friend, traveled there with passport in her married name and PR card in her maiden name. No problem at all. Just bring necessary documentation just incase they question you.

Reactions: bhingz

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
Hi, were you able to renew your PR card on your married name? Thanks
I didn’t need to. My PR card remained in my maiden name until I applied for citizenship. But used my marriage certificate on the citizenship application. My married name is on my citizenship certificate and my passport.

Again, I did not change my maiden name on my pr card at all.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
And when you get married, your maiden name automatically becomes your middle name.
I know it's a 5-year-old post, but this is just false. It's not "automatic"--it's in the Philippine Constitution that the married woman may decide to keep her birth name legally. I have a friend who didn't go through all the trouble, so her husband is sometimes addressed as Mr. Her Surname.

eolofernes

Jul 23, 2019
I didn’t need to. My PR card remained in my maiden name until I applied for citizenship. But used my marriage certificate on the citizenship application. My married name is on my citizenship certificate and my passport.

Again, I did not change my maiden name on my pr card at all.
Thank you! When you applied for citizenship, aside from PH passport what ID did you submit? I believe another identification needs to be in married name as well? Or doesn’t matter if it is still in maiden name?

Also, did you apply after 5 years or just completing 3/5 is good enough to apply?

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
Thank you! When you applied for citizenship, aside from PH passport what ID did you submit? I believe another identification needs to be in married name as well? Or doesn’t matter if it is still in maiden name?

Also, did you apply after 5 years or just completing 3/5 is good enough to apply?
I submitted my Driver’s license and Alberta healthcare.( these 2 identifications has my married name).

I applied after completing the 3/5 but I could have applied earlier than that as I have A LOT of days to cover the count because I was a temporary worker since 2009.

eolofernes

Jul 23, 2019
That’s my problem, Service Ontario won’t change my provincial IDs to married name matching passport.

Thank you so much for all your help!

shelleymay

Mar 11, 2018
Just an update.

I think I've come to a solution.. Keep my middle name, and have my surname changed to a hyphenated surname (which I can do with only a marriage certificate) on my Alberta ID's.

so my name on my citizenship application will be CHRIS ANNE GO CHU-LEE. This way, my name will still be in its "correct" form, and I don't have to do a Legal Name Change.

It is still not gonna match my Philippine passport though, but I'll just explain the way middle names work in the Philippines, and hoping that they accept that. Anyway, when I become a Canadian citizenship, the Philippine passport won't mean anything anyway coz I wont be keeping my Philippine citizenship.

Only thing is, I have to wait for 1-2 weeks for my new Alberta ID's to arrive (because I had them changed yesterday to CHRIS ANNE GO LEE) and then have them changed again to the hyphenated surname.

Hi,

I have the same situation now, I changed my name on Philippine passport with the Phil law of changing name, removed my mom's middle name and my birth surname became my middle name. What did you decide to do and what ID's did you provide for your citizenship application?

Thank you so much :)