+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unauthosied work

Arvindkanwar

Feb 3, 2021
Hello, I have a question regarding unauthorized work that has been worrying me for some time.
So I completed my study program in December and had an optional co-op term for winter. My school had said in advance that due to Covid not many opportunities are available and we can withdraw from the optional co-op anytime and get the refund.
So I got my final grades in December and wanted to do co-op, and worked full time off campus for the week after getting my grades (since it was scheduled breaks before the start of winter semester). Midway that week, I realized co-op was not happening so I filed to withdraw from the co-op semester. I got confirmation from my co-op coordinator that the letter has been received and will be processed. Since I had enrolled in another study program starting May, I continued working full time for that week, thinking I have already got my grades and got confirmation of withdrawal from co-op semester. Later, I found out that my letter was processed five days later. Will that week when I worked full-time be counted as unauthorized work? I know I could have worked 20 hours, but I did 26-27 hours that week. How much trouble am I in?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I have a question regarding unauthorized work that has been worrying me for some time.
So I completed my study program in December and had an optional co-op term for winter. My school had said in advance that due to Covid not many opportunities are available and we can withdraw from the optional co-op anytime and get the refund.
So I got my final grades in December and wanted to do co-op, and worked full time off campus for the week after getting my grades (since it was scheduled breaks before the start of winter semester). Midway that week, I realized co-op was not happening so I filed to withdraw from the co-op semester. I got confirmation from my co-op coordinator that the letter has been received and will be processed. Since I had enrolled in another study program starting May, I continued working full time for that week, thinking I have already got my grades and got confirmation of withdrawal from co-op semester. Later, I found out that my letter was processed five days later. Will that week when I worked full-time be counted as unauthorized work? I know I could have worked 20 hours, but I did 26-27 hours that week. How much trouble am I in?
Not a big deal.

Arvindkanwar

Feb 3, 2021
Not a big deal.
Hello, thank you for your response. Could you please tell me if that was unauthorized work? I want to file for my visa extension and want to know if I should be disclosing it. I had a consultation with an immigration consultation who said this was not unauthorized work because I had received my final grades and had offer letter for a new program starting within 150 days. But, I'm still concerned, because, though I had received my final grades, my eligibility to graduate was confirmed five days later by the college. Please advice.